Honda Prelude Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just bought a 1991 honda prelude. Its a b21a1 motor. Where is the cheapest place for me to buy tail lights for my car. I wanna stick with the natural red and clear lenses. If some one could help me that would be awesome. Oh yea 1 more question I have an emblem on the trunk lid that says SIR what does that mean. thanks Brian

·
Registered
9,584 Posts
SIR was not a model released in the 3rd gen line up. Someone put that on there. There is a Canadian model SR. 2.0S, 2.0Si, Si, SR, some others, but no SiR. I think that was an Integra or Civic, which is not comparable to a Prelude.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Cool well thanks for letting me know that. I am new to Preludes. Just sold my 91 hatch back I have had it for years. This prelude is the fastest car I have ever owned. That motor is awesome. Starting around January I will began all of the upgrades. Starting with turbo. Cant wait to see what she will do then.

·
Registered
417 Posts
Welcome to PP. Just to let you know, there are absolutely ZERO aftermarket lenses for our cars. All "aftermarket" taillights are custom made. Your car will have the clear over red. The 88-89 yellow/red rear lenses will not work without time, money, and energy, not worth it. They are no longer being produced, so you will be limited to the For Sale section at the bottom of the forum, Ebay, Craigslist and junkyard.

Strongly recommend searching this site on information about your engine before you do any upgrades. Another thing, the B20a/B20a5/B21a1 are unlike any B series engines, no parts for a "B series" engine are compatible. And I don't know if you know, but DO NOT rev over 7k rpm or you WILL send a rod through your block.

·
Registered
836 Posts
i think cam gears from other b-series work, but thats it

Welcome to PP. Just to let you know, there are absolutely ZERO aftermarket lenses for our cars. All "aftermarket" taillights are custom made. Your car will have the clear over red. The 88-89 yellow/red rear lenses will not work without time, money, and energy, not worth it. They are no longer being produced, so you will be limited to the For Sale section at the bottom of the forum, Ebay, Craigslist and junkyard.

Strongly recommend searching this site on information about your engine before you do any upgrades. Another thing, the B20a/B20a5/B21a1 are unlike any B series engines, no parts for a "B series" engine are compatible. And I don't know if you know, but DO NOT rev over 7k rpm or you WILL send a rod through your block.

·
Registered
954 Posts
Just bought a 1991 honda prelude. Its a b21a1 motor. Where is the cheapest place for me to buy tail lights for my car. I wanna stick with the natural red and clear lenses. If some one could help me that would be awesome. Oh yea 1 more question I have an emblem on the trunk lid that says SIR what does that mean. thanks Brian
There are no OEM style replacements that I know of. However, if you wanted something different there is a German guy who makes circular clusters and a blank centrepiece to replace the standard red one between the rear lights.

He gets on here occasionally, IIRC his name is Warlock. Link should get you to his site.

http://www.ba4-fansite.de/

·
Registered
112 Posts
Cool well thanks for letting me know that. I am new to Preludes. Just sold my 91 hatch back I have had it for years. This prelude is the fastest car I have ever owned. That motor is awesome. Starting around January I will began all of the upgrades. Starting with turbo. Cant wait to see what she will do then.
Welcome to the community! There is a Wealth of Knowledge right here on this site.
I would check you local Pick and Pull junkyard to find your tail lights. They aren't too much used, or Egay...though haven't seen too many 90/91s. Mostly 88/89s.

As far as Turbo goes... Search! Most folks here are going w/B20a5 block bored over to fit B20a1 pistons, with H22 rods, etc....Turbo is not cheap, at all if you want to do it right.

What you will find is that the B21 block is FRM (Fiber Reinforced Matrix "metal") its Extremely Hard, which means that the piston rings will wear out before the piston walls.

This is a GREAT place to research and find out everything you need to know about these cars. This site has taught me a LOT, so far!

The search feature is your best friend.

Again, Welcome! And Happy Luding.
~Shane

·
Registered
10 Posts

I'm looking into buying a tail light kit from Japan that my buddy is selling. Center Kevlar reads: Prelude inx... Also custom?

·
Premium Member
16,843 Posts
I'm looking into buying a tail light kit from Japan that my buddy is selling. Center Kevlar reads: Prelude inx... Also custom?
As long as its for the proper year model then it will fit. The iNX is a rare model over here, but they were more available in Japan.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts