Honda Prelude Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Too bad is automatic transmission, 5 speed is more fun. Interior looks great for that age and mileage. If you love it, price isnt terrible. Was the timing belt changed already because if not it needs to be Asap.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the help! Was considering it but could only find the auto, any issues to look out for in the auto? I have not seen the car yet but will ask if the timing belt has been changed, but if not can I change that myself easily or would I need a mechanic?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Well, easily is in the eye of the beholder. If you're mechanical and have tools its very doable. There's an entire you tube series on changing the 3rd gen timing belt that walks you through it. I think there were 14 or 17 sequential videos. Hardest part is getting the crankshaft bolt loose.

I've got the 5 speed version and just replaced the clutch plate and pressure plate. Cant help you with the automatic transmission.

·
Registered
1990 Honda Prelude 2.0Si, 1989 Honda Prelude 2.0Si 4ws, 1990 Honda Prelude Si 4ws, etc.
680 Posts
It might be a good project car for you, if that's what you're looking for. Keep in mind that the car is 30 years old, and no matter how many miles/kms are on it, the suspension components degrade and wear out. If everything else is in working order, I'd set about replacing all the ball joints and tie-rod ends right away, as that has probably never been done. Honda automatic transmissions of this era of car aren't known to be particularly impressive. They tend to shift hard (compared to an American built slushbox of the same age range), and shift before the power band unless you have your foot to the floor. They're not friendly with neutral drops - don't ever do that. :LOL: That said, with the limited programming available to the auto tranny computer at the time, they're probably as good as Honda could make them. It is true that manuals in these cars are much more fun, but if the auto is already in there and it works with no issues, I say leave it and drive it...at least until you rethink the manual swap. It's not hard to do, but you will need parts that are now a little scarce. There's amore than one thread on this forum dedicated to that swap and can tell you everything you need to know about it.

As for replacing the timing belt, the Honda Prelude shop manual is available in PDF form on this forum for FREE, and all the information that you might need to do the job is in it. MustardCat and a couple of others have made videos on how to do it which can also be found here and separately on YouTube that are easy to follow for those who don't want to try to figure it out by reading about it, and those are really good too...However, it's not as easy as jobs get and if something isn't right, it could lead to catastrophic failure. If you have any friends who have worked on Honda engines before, or any DOHC engines at all, try to get their help at least as an observer while you tackle it. Otherwise, a mechanic can do it easily. It's a little more expensive that way, but not too bad.

·
Registered
1989 Accord LXi Coupe; 1989 Prelude 2.0s; 1964 Dodge Dart GT: 1993 Kawasaki ZX-11; 1982 Honda CB900
318 Posts
196,000 miles is fine, though $3500 is a bit much imho. My 89 has 205,000 miles and I got it for $1500 and its an AT as well. FYI, AT cars COST MORE MONEY brand new for a reason....... and typically hold book value longer then MT vehicles. I wouldnt waste my time swapping out for an MT but its your money.

Offer him $2500..... after he quits beotching ask him if he has paperwork on when the Water pump and timing belt were last replaced. If he as no paperwork. $2500 firm, cus replacement is an easy $500 to $700 job

Factory spec is r&r TB every 70k miles, most do it @ 80 to 90k, which means its needing replacement soon.

·
Registered
1990 Honda Prelude 2.0Si, 1989 Honda Prelude 2.0Si 4ws, 1990 Honda Prelude Si 4ws, etc.
680 Posts
I realize this is Australian dollars we're talking about (1 USD = 1.29 AUSD by today's exchange rate) so for us US folks, $3500 Australian is approx. $2700 USD and some change.....which I agree with Blaine is still pretty high for a 30 year old car with nearly 200k miles on the clock. I'd try to talk the owner down well past $2500 AUSD, but that's just me. In the US, especially in the Midwest where I live, (hot rods and muscle cars notwithstanding) there isn't a non-exotic/classic 30-year-old car ever made that's worth more than $2000 USD today, and that's top dollar for one that's in perfect shape. If something runs and drives, it's worth at least $500 no matter how old it is, but no one in their right mind would spend above 2k on a common passenger car like a 1990 Buick Skylark or something like that, no matter what kind of shape its in or how many miles are on it, and a 3g Prelude shouldn't be any different. I'm not aware that these old 3g ludes hold their value above any other make or model of passenger car of their age range anywhere else in the world either...probably because the aftermarket support was never any good and Honda quit making parts for them, period. They're great cars, but we're not talking about Integras or Civics here that had and still enjoy worldwide aftermarket support. Those were valuable then to tuners and still are because of that. 3g ludes weren't then, and still aren't now....So, if you make an offer on it, keep that all in mind.

·
Registered
1989 Accord LXi Coupe; 1989 Prelude 2.0s; 1964 Dodge Dart GT: 1993 Kawasaki ZX-11; 1982 Honda CB900
318 Posts
Here is an 88 MT, 200k miles, CARB, for $3500. Now this is NOT worth $3500 imho.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts