Honda Prelude Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is a dream car for sure, but before I buy I want to know if it would be worth it. I’m new to preludes, so what should I look for when I go test it? What questions should I ask? And any thoughts about the car?

·
Premium Member
849 Posts
This is a dream car for sure, but before I buy I want to know if it would be worth it. I’m new to preludes, so what should I look for when I go test it? What questions should I ask? And any thoughts about the car?
I'd offer $3500....it's a 4WS model so that's a huge plus. Looks to have most of the original interior and not that riced out.

·
Registered
1989 Accord LXi Coupe; 1989 Prelude 2.0s; 1964 Dodge Dart GT: 1993 Kawasaki ZX-11; 1982 Honda CB900
318 Posts
Why are you even hesitating? These cars DO NOT grow on trees...... if that car was here in Washington, I would be on my way to buy it right now.

BUY IT, NOW!!

and Congrats on your Election

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'd offer $3500....it's a 4WS model so that's a huge plus. Looks to have most of the original interior and not that riced out.
It’s good that it’s not riced out, I want to keep it bone stock for a few years, then just do some sneaky upgrades, nothing to mess with the silhouette. What should I look for when I see the car?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Why are you even hesitating? These cars DO NOT grow on trees...... if that car was here in Washington, I would be on my way to buy it right now.

BUY IT, NOW!!

and Congrats on your Election
I reeeeeeeally want to buy it immediately but I have to convince the family that it’s a good investment lol

·
Premium Member
849 Posts
It’s good that it’s not riced out, I want to keep it bone stock for a few years, then just do some sneaky upgrades, nothing to mess with the silhouette. What should I look for when I see the car?
Living in California, I always look for any type of rust. Back east, slight rust doesn't seem to be that big of a deal for some.

I'd check for:
  • excessive oil leaks
  • loose suspension/bushings
  • grinding of the wheel bearings while driving it
  • overheating
  • shifting issues
  • electrical issues
  • body damage
  • clean title

Looks like the power steering line going across the top of the manifold has its heat resistant cover removed. If you purchase, grab some heat reflective tape to wrap it really good. Silver is good. Gold is better.

·
Premium Member
849 Posts
I reeeeeeeally want to buy it immediately but I have to convince the family that it’s a good investment lol
Better to ask for forgiveness than permission when it comes to a 3rd gen 4WS Prelude

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Living in California, I always look for any type of rust. Back east, slight rust doesn't seem to be that big of a deal for some.

I'd check for:
  • excessive oil leaks
  • loose suspension/bushings
  • grinding of the wheel bearings while driving it
  • overheating
  • shifting issues
  • electrical issues
  • body damage
  • clean title

Looks like the power steering line going across the top of the manifold has its heat resistant cover removed. If you purchase, grab some heat reflective tape to wrap it really good. Silver is good. Gold is better.
Thanks for the advice! I’m going on Friday to check it out. And yeah, just got off the phone and it was more saying sorry than anything 🤷‍♂️

·
Registered
1990 Honda Prelude 2.0Si, 1989 Honda Prelude 2.0Si 4ws, 1990 Honda Prelude Si 4ws, etc.
680 Posts
LOL It's definitely not a good investment. No car ever is, unless it's a classic exotic in museum floor shape that no one ever drives. Also, I feel that $4k is WAYYYYYY too much money. I don't care what kind of shape it's in, it's still 30 years old. You could find something far nicer and prolly 15 years newer for $4k easy as piss. That is not to say that it's not an awesome car, no matter how much work it needs or doesn't....just that whoever is trying to sell it for $4k is freekin' DREAMING. What Blaine said about the cars not growing on trees is absolutely true, but there is more than one factor to determine whether something has high value and rarity/availability is only one of them. One of the others is that it has to be desirable and sought after, which these largely aren't; weren't even when they were brand new. We love these chassis because they're awesome, but they're not worth as much as other Honda cars of even the same age range. Only true prelude lovers search out these poor stepchildren that Honda neglected because we love them. That doesn't make them collector's items or valuable - because we're the only ones looking for them. Everyone else just sees a 30 year old Honda. Even tuners don't pay attention to these because they don't have aftermarket support. Besides, the general rule when buying any car is: Don't look too desperate. Don't be excited to give the guy well above and beyond what the car is actually worth. Remember it's an old car that no longer enjoys factory support at all (Honda quit making parts for them, period about 5 years ago), and has limited aftermarket support, even for basic perishable parts like struts, ball joints and stuff like that. Be willing to walk away. If he comes down in order to get rid of it, great. If not, don't make it your problem. I'm not saying don't go for it....DO go for it.....but don't be a fool about the money - you're gonna need the cash for upkeep on it, and you can trust any of the guys on this forum that are long time 'lude owners will say the same thing. Have no illusions about what you're getting into, ok?

Reactions: Blainethemono

·
Registered
1989 Accord LXi Coupe; 1989 Prelude 2.0s; 1964 Dodge Dart GT: 1993 Kawasaki ZX-11; 1982 Honda CB900
318 Posts
Sorry Marcus, but I think my 64 Dodge Dart GT with 72,000 miles is an investment lol lll DEFINITELY sell if for more then I paid for it.....

·
Registered
1990 Honda Prelude 2.0Si, 1989 Honda Prelude 2.0Si 4ws, 1990 Honda Prelude Si 4ws, etc.
680 Posts
Yeah, man it definitely is! But that's a 64 Dart GT....There are hot rodders out there looking for stuff like that. A 64 Dart GT satisfies all the requirements of a valuable car....even if it's a rust bucket and doesn't run, there are still people looking for them to fix em up, and if you bought it in the shape the picture shows for less than 10k, you got a STEAL. 3g ludes, not so much. LOL No one's looking for them except us, the people who already love them.

Reactions: Blainethemono

·
Premium Member
849 Posts
Sorry Marcus, but I think my 64 Dodge Dart GT with 72,000 miles is an investment lol lll DEFINITELY sell if for more then I paid for it.....

View attachment 28637
Nice Dart. We're Mopar guys in our family.

My brother has a 68 Dart GT and my dad is on his 3rd 1970 Superbird.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Im a 3rd gen owner myself and I'd advise not to buy it unless u can work on cars. With that many miles, the B21 engine is probably burning a ton of oil. The rings are probably super worn because of the FRM sleeves on the engine. Will eventually need to be swapped to a b20a5 or a b20a to be more "reliable"

·
Registered
680 Posts
Im a 3rd gen owner myself and I'd advise not to buy it unless u can work on cars. With that many miles, the B21 engine is probably burning a ton of oil. The rings are probably super worn because of the FRM sleeves on the engine. Will eventually need to be swapped to a b20a5 or a b20a to be more "reliable"
the B21A1 I'm working on right now had 262K and some change on the clock before I took it out. Now that I'm rebuilding it, I've noticed that the rings and pistons weren't the oil consumption problem - A: It had a severely burnt exhaust valve in the head at cylinder #1, which means the valve lash was wayyyy out of adjustment and B: all the valve guide seals in the head were bad. It was also obviously pouring oil out the cam seals on the timing side - those were in terrible shape with the mileage. The FRM sleeves in the block are still perfectly fine, and the rings are still sealing just like they were supposed to, even with that many miles on it. It's really smooth, not rough in the least. There's hardly any wear at all....there's a tiny ridge at the top, but it's not anywhere near what the wear would be on iron sleeves with the same mileage. I saw a bigger ridge at the top of the cylinders of my B20A5 at only 130K. I'm starting to figure out that the B21A1 has been underestimated in its reliability. It's still not a good engine to try to make power with, but neither is the B20A(x) for the same reasons. Seems like all the oil problems are in the top end, with some minor leakage at the bottom end - Oil pan gasket, main seals, like any other engine with high mileage. Personally, I think everyone should stop ripping on the B21A1 until they've had one apart themselves and seen first-hand what the actual issues were. I felt sure I was having the same problems everyone else was talking about when I performed my swap and didn't dig into it very far - just trusted that the people saying these things knew what they were talking about. However, for lack of a better thing to do with it, I started taking the B21A1 apart to find out what actually was wrong with it. So far, I have not discovered that the FRM/rings were interacting poorly, and I've seen that most of the people saying the things they are never really took theirs apart to examine what was really going on, if they had one to dismantle in the first place (quite a few saying this in the past never owned a lude with a B21 under the hood, and were just parroting what some others were saying) - it was just accepted that they're bad because of the FRM, which is not at all what I'm finding. It gets a bad rap for no reason. Most of these oil issues seem to have come from bad seals and poor maintenance, both of which were things going on with it before I got ahold of it. Dropping a lower mileage B20A5 in it's place was a quick fix, nothing more. It can and will develop the same problems as it ages. I'm still working on that B21A1, and I'd encourage anyone interested to follow the rebuild. It's not fast moving because of the season and I've got a lot of other things going on, but it's moving along steadily, if not quickly.

·
Registered
318 Posts

Craigslist, Walla Walla 86 Prelude Metallic Blue, MT 127k miles, CLEAN $4000

BUY IT INSTEAD....

·
Registered
680 Posts
Oh, that's nice! Neat color too!....$4k still seems like an awful lot to me for an old car like this, condition and one-owner notwithstanding. On one note, an '86 GTA Trans Am with similar mileage would probably go for about that much....but this isn't a GTA Trans Am. Cars in the Pacific Northwest seem to go for a lot more money than the same cars go for in the Midwest, and that's fine. I don't live there, so I don't know what the average is for something like that. Could be a really good deal!

·
Registered
3 Posts
For perspective, I bought a 91 black prelude 8 years ago for 1k in south Jersey. It had 192k miles, clear coat peeling, some slight rust behind wheel, ac doesn't work, radio antenna needs to be replaced and it does burn oil...but despite all that I still love it!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts