Honda Prelude Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys

So I love my new lude but I would much prefer white tail lights over the orange ones. Is there any way to whiten it (just painted from the inside for example)
or is the housing orange itself? Tried to look for white ones with ebay but no luck.

·
Memento Mori
7,485 Posts

·
Memento Mori
7,485 Posts
Different countries determine the model year in different ways. My guess is that yours is an 89 that was first titled/registered in 1990. What letter do you have in the 10th position (the one before the "C") on your VIN number? That one is the model year. I don't know if it is consistent worldwide but in the U.S. the letters there mean:
J 1988
K 1989
L 1990
M 1991

Anyways since you can't paint them red there are 2 ways to have tail lights with clear signals:

1. Remove the orange portion from the 88-89 lights and build your own replacements out of a clear plastic, such as polycarbonate.

2. Get the lights, trunk, bumper, and complete sheet metal piece that the lights bolt onto from a 90-91. Then you cut/drill out the rear section from your car and weld in the one from the 90-91. After that you can install the lights, trunk, and bumper.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Well the second option sounds pricey, its not worth that much for me. The first one doe, might do that. Is that orange portion somehow removeable? Do i need to do the oven trick?
Or are there any threads about this?

I don't have pictures of it yet, this is a picture from the previous owner.

·
Premium Member
9,117 Posts
No, the orange section isn't removable. You'll have to cut it out in order to remove that section.

I did the conversion that Dave described. I found a good set of lights, trunk lid, and bumper/bumper support from a donor car in the junkyard. I bought a rear panel from Honda when they were still available. Total parts cost was about $325. It was a lot of work to remove the rear pan from my car, but on the plus side I found and repaired some rust that I didn't know was there. After doing this conversion I have to say that I wouldn't do it again LOL. If I ever buy another 88 or 89 Prelude I'll live with the orange.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Haha exactly.
While i was working on my bike I just had this idea that what if i paint the orange section red, and use it with yellow bulbs? Should be orange, right?

(+i dont know why the picture is not showing)

·
Memento Mori
7,485 Posts
If you spray just enough red to change the color and then use some orange bulbs, then yes it may still shine orange enough to be legal. (That just depends on how strict they are there.)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts