Honda Prelude Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
Hello fellow oil and rust enthusiasts,

last year I picked up my own lovely 3rd gen, however the car is in rather rough shape. The main issue I want to address is oil leaking from the engine. I'm a total newbie when it comes to cars so I just took some pictures in hopes that someone knows what's going on:

Engine is a EUDM 1990 b20a3 with a 5 speed manual gearbox. Is this a death sentence? Head gasket, maybe?

Thank you all for your time and help 馃槵

Registered
I suspect it is from the distributor cap plate seal (part 15) (https://www.hondapartsnow.com/parts-list/1991-honda-prelude--2dr_2_05si_4ws-ka_4at/engine/distributor.html).

If I am right then you are in trouble because from what I have read, Honda ran out of stock of this part in 2008 and it is discontinued. I have this problem and it is an extreamily common problem on this car. The problem is fuckin annoying. You will be topping up your engine oil once a month and have a constant slow leak. You could probably make your own gasket, it all depends how much you care about it. I have had this problem for 6 years. I have never bothered fixing it but was thinking only a couple of hours ago how I have probably gone through 50 litres of oil top ups over it and I should probably fix it. :)

It will be dripping onto your heater inlet hose and cause it to degrade and eventually rupture. This happened to me last month.

It might not be this problem though, more pics would be helpful. :)

Registered
An ultraviolet dye suitable for your oil system is cheap at any parts store. Put a little in your oil, take the car to the grocery store, wait till it gets dark, shine the UV pen light that comes in a kit all over the engine, and the source of your (external) leak shows up as a nice bright green color when you wear the special goggles that come in the kit.

Same procedure for water leaks by the way. Just use the separate dye for your coolant system (water).

Registered
So I have a leak as well and my leak is due to the lack of factory valve cover gaskets I just bought one from autozone in an attempt to fix it but failed since it doesn鈥檛 sit properly and actually seal much. So you can look into that and pray it鈥檚 not the valve cover gasket since they鈥檙e so hard to come by from my recent experience. (Car still leaking)

Registered
Try the brand Payen. UK based, should come with the spark plug seals too. From memory you can get oem factory new from a site like amayama or partsouq, you just need to pull the part number from the diagram which isn't too hard once you figure it out.

Registered
You've actually posted an image of the fuel injected distributor and TDC sensor style, rather than the carbureted version. While the oil may be coming from the distributor unit, that gasket isn't supposed to seal out oil, only dust. The real problem is the shaft seal on the inside, which can be obtained from a few different sources. If I remember correctly, that is a Hitachi branded unit, which (I think) uses a somewhat standard seal with dimensions of 22mm x 12mm x 7mm.

Registered
I don't know how much oil you are actually loosing but unless it's a massive leak I wouldn't worry about it. Unless you live in a neighborhood with spotless concrete driveways I wouldn't be concerned with a few drips. These are 30 something year old cars after and have earned the right to leak a bit. That spot looks to be where the head and block meet so could be a head gasket issue. It certainly has nothing to do with a distributor seal as the distributor is not located as it is for the twin cam engines. Get some spray can choke cleaner and an old toothbrush and clean that area up. This is just to get a handle on the seriousness of the leak. Car looks to be in pretty good shape under the hood at least.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts