Honda Prelude Forum banner
21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
1989 Honda Prelude Si
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Ive got half of my parts list is very lost in transit..... Smh. Think I just watched the rest of the good weather slip away....and now there is a couple inches of snow on the ground. Sure that will help my parts get her quicker.

·
Registered
1989 Honda Prelude Si
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Ok....the winter is letting up. Been getting lots done.

Due to work and weather restraints...i was not able to do the motor swap myself, so no vids like I was hoping. But she got taken to "Honda Dave" (local Kansas City Honda guru) so I can sleep easy knowing it was done right at least.

Swapping the auto motor in to the manual car cost me $1350 with the timing belt service, full tune up, in slue of other things. Dave gives the motor and the trans a clean bill of health. Thing runs like a champ.....but its far from finished. Or even drivable.

Tonight I started stripping the breaks, steering, and suspension components.

I'll be replacing.....
~Calipers / rotors / pads
~All ball joints
~All of the bushings
~All of the wheel bearings

All of the controll arms and sway bars will be getting cleaned up and painted prior to installing new bushings.

I also discovered that the front driver spring is snapped. So I've got to weigh my options....i want adjustable coilovers....but.....my bank says Rob the spring from the parts car.

·
Registered
1989 Honda Prelude Si
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Wheel Tire Automotive parking light Automotive side marker light Car
Motor vehicle Automotive tire Vehicle brake Vehicle Crankset

Update on my life....

I drove it. Still have a few bushings to do....but I wanted to get it moved from the hangar to the cool comfort of my home garage.

"New" reman calipers, rotors, braided brake lines....

Driver side has all new super pro bushings....passenger side still needs lower control arm to complete it.

Automotive parking light Tire Car Wheel Land vehicle

Now I need to fix this tweaked bumper.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Thanks for sharing the progress on your prelude.
I just purchased an 89 2.0s. Needs some tlc, especially coolant lines, brakes, and suspension.
mom curious, where did you find replacement parts for brakes and suspension. At local parts store, or something more specialized.
also, I’m having trouble finding online, or here in the forum a good repair manual for coolant issues.

·
Registered
1989 Honda Prelude Si
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
Thanks for sharing the progress on your prelude.
I just purchased an 89 2.0s. Needs some tlc, especially coolant lines, brakes, and suspension.
mom curious, where did you find replacement parts for brakes and suspension. At local parts store, or something more specialized.
also, I’m having trouble finding online, or here in the forum a good repair manual for coolant issues.
ALL of my bushings were purchased off of EBay. I emailed a seller and he had Super Pro "build" me a "rebuild kit" at a discounted price. All of them seem to be the correct bushings and I am quite satisfied with the outcome.

The break parts were EBay and Rock Auto. I also have a complete parts car that I robbed, A LOT. As far as control arms / hub / knuckle....i pulled and pressed out all the old bushings. Cleaned all the parts with an assortment of wire brushes....primed, painted, and installed new bushings. So those parts are not "new". But many look like it.

Go to this guys website and down load the manual. Its a great resource. If you want to DM me I can do my best to answer any questions you may have.

·
Registered
1989 Honda Prelude Si
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
Wood Trigger Revolver Automotive exterior Gun barrel

Yanked the front bumper cover off (damn the man that put a phillips head in the corners)....pulled the bumper and found this guy all smashed up.

Robbed the parts car....sanded down the bumper....primed and painted
Vehicle Hood Motor vehicle Automotive tire Car

Now she looks a lot less doofy....

Automotive parking light Car Vehicle Vehicle registration plate Wheel

While I was at it....those corner bolts in the cover are now hex heads....

Got the busted fog light swapped out.....

And I have swapped out the hood now as well....pics to come tonight.

Automotive parking light Vehicle registration plate Vehicle Automotive lighting Tire

·
Registered
1989 Honda Prelude Si
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
Automotive parking light Tire Car Vehicle Plant
went ahead and robbed the hood off the parts car. Much cleaner. Torn on swapping out the eye lids for the blue as well until I get around to body work. Thinking about sourcing a spoiler / trunk lip. Can keep one trunk deck with spoiler and one with out.
Automotive parking light Car Wheel Plant Tire

·
Registered
1989 Honda Prelude Si
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
Got a bit more work done on my lady...I've put 2k miles on her and she is running and driving flawlessly. Going to need a master break job soon as I'm starting to lose peddle at long stops. Grabbed 2 remanned jobs off rock auto on close out.

Big thanks to @Stub for hooking me up with good parts. Had a hole in my center tail light assembly that was hard to see in pics but drove me nuts.
Automotive lighting Grille Motor vehicle Bumper Automotive exterior

After
Vehicle registration plate Vehicle Tire Car Wheel

Think it gives it a much cleaner look not having it say PRELUDE in chrome across the back. Also torn on whether or not I want to re-install my Honda / 2.0Si badges.

21 - 32 of 32 Posts