Honda Prelude Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Need some advice on my 1988 Prelude that really rumbles the whole car while idling around 1k-2k, well the worst in that range. It's pretty bad, worst i've every felt in any car and it is going to be a bummer to drive after fixing it up for a year now.
I did put new aftermarket motor mounts in hopes I wouldn't run in to this, because I have before on other cars, and because I obviously can't find OEM mounts.
What can be done here to dampen some of this vibration?
Does the Innovative polyurethane motor mounts dampen the vibration just like OEM or make it worst to improve performance?
I obviously know about filling the mounts with 3m window weld, but I am reading that it would make the vibration worse...
Just trying to get some opinions on what exactly to do here since there are barely any parts for these cars and would love for the driveability of this car to be comfortable when I am done. Thanks!

·
Premium Member
9,181 Posts
I obviously know about filling the mounts with 3m window weld, but I am reading that it would make the vibration worse...
I didn't find that to be true. One of the first things I did when I got my first 3td gen was fill the worn out OEM mounts. They worked great for 12 or so years I owned that car. I used it for a daily driver for about 10 of those years. I did the same on other 3rd gens I owned after that. Give it a try if you still have the OEM mounts. 3M window weld isn't expensive. If you don't like how it feels you can look into other options.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I didn't find that to be true. One of the first things I did when I got my first 3td gen was fill the worn out OEM mounts. They worked great for 12 or so years I owned that car. I used it for a daily driver for about 10 of those years. I did the same on other 3rd gens I owned after that. Give it a try if you still have the OEM mounts. 3M window weld isn't expensive. If you don't like how it feels you can look into other options.
I Def don't have the original mounts and not sure they were even OEM. Car was sitting for 6 years and was eaten up by rats, so I've been trying to restore it. So it would be me putting window weld in shitty aftermarket mounts lol

·
Premium Member
9,181 Posts
I may actually have a set of OEM mounts laying around that I planned to fill, but I'm not sure I have all of them. Possibly just the front and rear mounts. But you should be able to find a set at a junkyard or salvage yard that you could then fill. Just a suggestion.

·
Super Moderator
17,389 Posts
Innovative mounts are like all aftermarket mounts they are stiff due to the UA rating of 70+.
The OE mounts are rubber which are softer but tear after a while.

If you want OE, then purchse OE replacements. You are more concerned with the rear and front mounts.
The sides can still be stiff since there is no real load on them.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I may actually have a set of OEM mounts laying around that I planned to fill, but I'm not sure I have all of them. Possibly just the front and rear mounts. But you should be able to find a set at a junkyard or salvage yard that you could then fill. Just a suggestion.
As enjoyable as it is to swap out motor mounts in this damn thing (especially the rear one), I think that might be too much work for not being a guaranteed pay off. Like who knows if the mounts I get from a random salvaged car are OEM Honda ya know...I wish there was a way to know they were def OEM Honda mounts but I don't think there is any kind of markers or stamps anywhere. I know the aftermarket ones usually have stickers but those could came off and now they look like OEM Honda mounts...

Innovative mounts are like all aftermarket mounts they are stiff due to the UA rating of 70+.
The OE mounts are rubber which are softer but tear after a while.

If you want OE, then purchse OE replacements. You are more concerned with the rear and front mounts.
The sides can still be stiff since there is no real load on them.
Would love to purchase some OEM replacements, if you could please point me to anywhere on the planet earth that has a full set of 40 year old OEM 1988 Honda Prelude mounts that would be awesome! Is there a craigslist for Mars? That place might have them...

·
Super Moderator
17,389 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

·
Super Moderator
17,389 Posts
I thought you were talking about OEM Honda mounts? As I said in the headline, I have already installed all brand new aftermarket mounts and it was a mix of Westar, DEA and others (which is what partsgeek and all other websites have)....these are brand new mounts that are horrific, so i'm not looking to buy more new aftermarket mounts...
You did not specify that.
Those are OE replacements. The other aftermarket ones are innovative, former ESP and my old AZ Race B20a mounts.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Hello. By fill you mean you use the window weld to basically fill in the OG mounts? Im guessing lay the mounts on their side and just fill them in and let cure?

Also I agree that the term "aftermarket" mainly refers to the "performance type" mounts whereas OEM is anything made to factory spec whether made by Honda or not. Cheers!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hello. By fill you mean you use the window weld to basically fill in the OG mounts? Im guessing lay the mounts on their side and just fill them in and let cure?

Also I agree that the term "aftermarket" mainly refers to the "performance type" mounts whereas OEM is anything made to factory spec whether made by Honda or not. Cheers!
Yeah take any kind of mounts and fill them with window weld..here is a decent guide How to Make Fill Your Engine Mounts With Window Weld - Solid Mounts
I threw the mounts out that were in the car because they were all trashed and I bought aftermarket ones. Like I said it was a mix of Westar, DEA and other aftermarket mounts but the car just rumbles horrifically even with these new mounts in there.
Obviously this is not how it came from the factory and these motor mounts have to be the issue. I cannot find any OEM motor mounts anywhere, well random ones here and there for like $600 and $1200 LOL
But I am just trying to get the car to stop rumbling while driving it and seeing what others have done to fix that. You know, whether it was buying racing mounts that actually made the car not rumble or filling the mounts with window weld or anything else...Just really bummed out I've spent over year on the car restoring it and making it look really nice to now I don't even want to drive it

·
Registered
22 Posts
I feel you man! I just bought an 91 last week and the vibration is HORRIBLE! Way worse than my 88 when I first bought it but after replacing the front brake rotors (eliminated shaking while braking) and the two front shock tower mounts, that seemed to do the trick. Fast forward 14 years and im going through same thing with 91. I just replaced the front rotors and now I'm replacing the top radiator bushings, all motor mounts and the shock tower mounts again. I just recieved the motor/ transmission mount bushings in mail today so I'll hopefully be replacing most of them tomorrow. I know the front motor bushing and right side tranny bushing are ripped like crazy so maybe it'll fix the vibration problem. Also im going to check for any broken parts

Side note. Honda says to replace the "special bolts" on the mounts as well. So who knows

·
Premium Member
9,181 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
So I decided to try a trick my friend told me about a long time ago. Loosen up all the motor mounts a bit, start the car and let it run for a bit and then tighten them all down.
When I started the car with the mounts loose, the car was PERFECT! I mean, a tiny bit of vibration but whoa what a change! I was thinking this is how it should feel for sure!
So I go to tighten all the mounts down while the car was on and the last one I get to was the driver side upper mount. As I'm tightening it I notice an immediate loud rumbling noise. I get in the car and it is rumbling like it was before. I loosen the motor mount again and the car is perfect. Seems like something is up with my driver side mount! Debating on what to do now, buy a new one and see what happens...buy a new one and fill it with window weld...buy a racing mount. I'm not too sure what to do...

·
Registered
22 Posts
So I decided to try a trick my friend told me about a long time ago. Loosen up all the motor mounts a bit, start the car and let it run for a bit and then tighten them all down.
When I started the car with the mounts loose, the car was PERFECT! I mean, a tiny bit of vibration but whoa what a change! I was thinking this is how it should feel for sure!
So I go to tighten all the mounts down while the car was on and the last one I get to was the driver side upper mount. As I'm tightening it I notice an immediate loud rumbling noise. I get in the car and it is rumbling like it was before. I loosen the motor mount again and the car is perfect. Seems like something is up with my driver side mount! Debating on what to do now, buy a new one and see what happens...buy a new one and fill it with window weld...buy a racing mount. I'm not too sure what to do...

Interesting... I'll have to try that. Ppl or shops that don't care or are in a hurry, seem to just torque the $hit out of everything.

Racing mounts have some vibration but not as much I would guess. Also try cleaning your EGR valve(check YouTube), check your coolant sensor's (the ones close to the valve cover left side) , valve adjustment, and the vacuum tubes. The coolant sensors when broke make the motor run lean. I just fixed one earlier and my motor is way better. Slowly but surely...

1 - 16 of 16 Posts