Honda Prelude Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have tried to run mid-grade fuel but that's just not doing it. Any other suggestions? May I be idling too high?

·
Donates his big Member
2,229 Posts
Ok, WTF are you on about?

·
Registered
2,346 Posts
I take it you have a carb'd car then?
Maybe try running some seafoam or other combustion chamber cleaner in the motor to try and get rid of the built up carbon.

·
Registered
9,584 Posts
Could check the cam-crank timing and also the ignition timing. Another thing to check is the idle RPMs. Must be checked after driving the car and it's fully warmed up.

Has the cylinder head ever been machined?

·
Banned
13,157 Posts
try replacing the spark plugs. if the plugs are old and worn out, they may have developed some hot spots that are acting like glow plugs.
or it may just have a crapload of carbon buildup, in which case you'd want to run a can of seafoam through a vacuum line while holding it at about 2k in neutral.
or, if you think its up to the task, just go and drive the ever living snot out of it for a bit, as long as the engine is in good enough shape to handle the load, the romping actually does wonders for cleaning things out, seriously. babying a car for too long can cause excessive buildup inside the combustion chambers. driving it hard heats it up and burns it off, and the high revs have higher air velocities which literally blows the stuff right out after it starts burning up the buildup

·
Donates his big Member
2,229 Posts
Ahh you see once its explained in plain english it soon becomes apparent that you mean that age old over run on the twin carbed engines, I had a similar problem with a diesel van once, very funny at the time...but as for a petrol engine as you probably realised I couldn't be of any help.

·
Registered
2,423 Posts
sounds to me that you need to do a good tune up. Check you plugs, plug wires, dizzy cap. Spray some carb cleaner in the carb. Change out your fuel filters, both of them. Also one more thing, give us more info about your Lude...like year and model would be nice.

·
Registered
836 Posts
try replacing the spark plugs. if the plugs are old and worn out, they may have developed some hot spots that are acting like glow plugs.
or it may just have a crapload of carbon buildup, in which case you'd want to run a can of seafoam through a vacuum line while holding it at about 2k in neutral.
or, if you think its up to the task, just go and drive the ever living snot out of it for a bit, as long as the engine is in good enough shape to handle the load, the romping actually does wonders for cleaning things out, seriously. babying a car for too long can cause excessive buildup inside the combustion chambers. driving it hard heats it up and burns it off, and the high revs have higher air velocities which literally blows the stuff right out after it starts burning up the buildup
i had been meaning to ask someone about this, i noticed after babying my lude for a little while, then driving it more aggressively it seems to run a lot better smoother and whatnot, even better mileage (actually it might be worse mileage, one or the other, but noticable none the less) i thought that was the reason, the higher pressure and what not cleaned things out, thanks for clearing that up :D

·
Registered
22 Posts
i had a real jumpy idle. at one point it was jumped from 1000 to 1500 and back. i seafomed the car and changd the spark plugs and it took care of that. dunno if thats comparable to dieseling but if ur going to seafoam make sure u do it BEFORE you change your spark plugs. seafoam tends to leave a residue on your plugs. oh dont run it through you crank case either ive heard older cars cant handle it. just do gas and intake manifold

1 - 15 of 15 Posts