Honda Prelude Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
16,691 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
1988-91 Prelude Front Hub Replacements
1992-2000 HONDA CIVIC LX, EX, SI FRONT WHEEL HUB 94-01 ACURA INTEGRA DC2

I have been thinking of our hubs lately and I remember some guys in the past did some swapping.

So I decided to do some research and reconfirmed and purchased a new hub for the front for those who needed to know and did not want to bite the bullet for testing.

I have reconfirmed that:

92-00 Civic/integra front hubs are identical to our 88-91 Prelude hubs.

**Note: The only difference would be the spline count for the 90-91 Prelude hubs which are 28 spline count are more than that of the civic/integra ones which are 26 spline count.

So in order to replace your hubs, you can use the 88-89 Prelude axles in place of the 90-91 Prelude axles.

90-91 Prelude Hub spline count: 28 splines
88-89 Prelude Hub spline count: 26 splines

1992-2000 Honda Civic LX, EX, SI Hub: 26 splines
94-2001 Acura Integra DC2 Hub (None Type R): 26 splines

1992-2000 HONDA CIVIC LX, EX, SI FRONT WHEEL HUB 94-01 ACURA INTEGRA DC2
Will fit 1988-91 Honda Prelude Knuckles.

·
Registered
2,830 Posts
I am currently doing a 5 lug swap on the k swspped third gen, and am looking to use the bb6 hubs.

From my research the bb6 hub will presss into the ba4 bearing no issue.

I will need to confirm this after.

·
Registered
10,750 Posts
I am currently doing a 5 lug swap on the k swspped third gen, and am looking to use the bb6 hubs.

I'd like to be able to tell you already but as most of my stuff is still lost somewhere in a load of boxes I can't.
If I find them anytime soon I'll show you ;-)

·
Premium Member
16,691 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

Josh it will not.
I already figured out 5 lug swap for the front and I am working on the rear right now.

·
Registered
2,830 Posts
Hmmm, interesting, as I just fit a BB6 prelude axle into the ks wapped third gen, it fit p[erfect both the k trnas as well as the ba4 hub spline, it fit so well and bolted up, I was hoping that the bearing inner race diameter would be the same. I havnt taken the ba4 prelude hub off yet to look as I had to go back to work late last night.

In any case, though, being the ba4 is 36mm axle nuit, one would think the bearing from the third gen would receive the bb6 hub, as if the spline is the same size and fits the same axle why wouldn't it fit?

I was actually hoping to get away with a cheap five lug swap using the bb6 hubs with a pair of new bearings.

I guess ill have to looka nd reconfirm all this and go from there, as machining crv hubs isn't what I would be looking to do, was hoping something fast and easy. Alas, third gen preludes are neither fast or easy.

·
Premium Member
16,691 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hmmm, interesting, as I just fit a BB6 prelude axle into the ks wapped third gen, it fit p[erfect both the k trnas as well as the ba4 hub spline, it fit so well and bolted up, I was hoping that the bearing inner race diameter would be the same. I havnt taken the ba4 prelude hub off yet to look as I had to go back to work late last night.

In any case, though, being the ba4 is 36mm axle nuit, one would think the bearing from the third gen would receive the bb6 hub, as if the spline is the same size and fits the same axle why wouldn't it fit?

I was actually hoping to get away with a cheap five lug swap using the bb6 hubs with a pair of new bearings.

I guess ill have to looka nd reconfirm all this and go from there, as machining crv hubs isn't what I would be looking to do, was hoping something fast and easy. Alas, third gen preludes are neither fast or easy.

Its not fast and easy.
I am working a 5 lug hub set right now and its still looking to be about $900 to $1000 for a 5 lug swap.

The fronts I have already figured out and got it right, the rears are going to be pricier than the fronts because custom hubs have to be made, there is no other option, I have checked.

We do not have those parts laying around.

·
Registered
2,830 Posts
So, why exactly do the bb6 hubs not fit? Is the hub spline to thick? It should fit any other 36mm hubbed bearing.

Is the OD of the BB6 wheel ebaring to large for the ba4 spindle?

I don't get what doesn't fit.

·
Premium Member
16,691 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
So, why exactly do the bb6 hubs not fit? Is the hub spline to thick? It should fit any other 36mm hubbed bearing.

Is the OD of the BB6 wheel ebaring to large for the ba4 spindle?

I don't get what doesn't fit.
Pmed

·
Registered
10,750 Posts
Just share the info Sean, don't be so secretive.

Or shall we all keep secrets?

Josh, you should be able to find the specs online, that will tell you the differences ;-)

·
Premium Member
16,691 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Just share the info Sean, don't be so secretive.

Or shall we all keep secrets?

Josh, you should be able to find the specs online, that will tell you the differences ;-)
Ok Jon.

The 5th gen hubs are machined to the oe hubs specs.
But when you use these hubs you have to have the 28 spline count as well as the 36mm thickness cups to replace the oe axle outter cups in order to do the 5 lug conversion while sticking with the B20/21 motors.

But the rear needs to have custom rear hubs made to replace the oe ones and also make 5 lug conversions.

·
Premium Member
16,691 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thank you, Sean. Are prelude hubs hard to come by? I have never looked.
We do not have any replacements.
So I have been doing more research to find what OE hub could be made to do the 5 lug swap and replace the front hubs because sometimes the hubs get damaged and need to be replaced.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Bring this back from the past!

@Sean, If I read correctly we can use BB4 front hub to machine down to fit our stock Bearing ? If we have this solution, I guess our community solution for 5 lugs conversion cost going to be significant lower. That is we only pay for the rear to be custom.

As the cost is lower, we would have more interest for the rear custom hub, may be you can help our community for a Group Buy of custom rear hub again ;)

·
Premium Member
16,691 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Bring this back from the past!

@Sean, If I read correctly we can use BB4 front hub to machine down to fit our stock Bearing ? If we have this solution, I guess our community solution for 5 lugs conversion cost going to be significant lower. That is we only pay for the rear to be custom.

As the cost is lower, we would have more interest for the rear custom hub, may be you can help our community for a Group Buy of custom rear hub again ;)
I just sold 2 kits for the 5 lug swap. The Price is: $1250 + shipping + paypal fees.
It is not cheap to get them machined to our specs but also the rear uses a different wheel bearing that still needs to be customized to fit the rear knuckle. Took a lot of research and money to figure it all out.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Ok... I thought I refer to your other Group Buy post i.e. custom front and rear hubs for plug and play. LOL Seems like need to custom everything lol.

·
Premium Member
16,691 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Ok... I thought I refer to your other Group Buy post i.e. custom front and rear hubs for plug and play. LOL Seems like need to custom everything lol.
Yup my group buy was for the same kit here, and its still custom because I have to do quite a bit to get them made. Its not just bought off the shelf.

Anything for this car is custom now...lol

1 - 20 of 20 Posts