Honda Prelude Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Vrooom PSHHHH
6,486 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So lately my lude has been getting me into a bit of trouble so my dad suggested I get a DD/beater car and just use the lude as a cruiser/project. So I was cruising craigslist for some sub-$1000 beaters and came across a clean, 87 Fiero. 69k miles, super clean, 4cyl auto (meh, who cares) but just recently developed a misfire which he said could be the plugs or wires since it needs a tune-up.

So I come to you guys to see if anyone here has any experience with these cars. I've always liked them since they're mid-engined and have lots of swaps available, I'd even be happy with a stock V6. Plus it's only $1000. Any input? Pros and cons?

·
Banned
5,085 Posts
Buy it and drop in a V8. There are a few like tht in my area.

Mike (H4L)

·
Registered
3,186 Posts
2 good to be true!

WEll... Idk. I found a 1985 Supercharged mr-2. 87k
Dude wants 500 for it.
Maybe it is a good buy. But for a beater, get a slow managable car. Good gas mileage ftw!

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
With the mid engine it Could make plugs and wires a tough job, much less any other repairs.

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
YEA I FOUND A NON TURBO 92 MR2 FOR 700 LOL
Posted via Mobile

·
Registered
561 Posts
I had a 86 GT and it was a great car. You dont have to haul a bunch of people around in it. It wasnt that hard to work on. I had it parked beside my dads barn ( was in process of collecting parts for a 350 swap) one day and a drunk ass combine driver nailed it and pushed it almost 700 yards across a field and totaled it.

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
he was either drunk as hell, blind or sleeping. You have to be way out of control to push something 700 yds. with a combine. Those things only move 5-10 mph.

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
My buddy just picked one of these up for a winter car. Has some miles, but is in really great shape and just needed a clutch for $400. Really not bad at all to work on. He had the misfire problem also, plugs wires ignition coils and the ignition module took care of that. Really not bad to work on, there is a cradle that you can literally just sag to get to anything you cant reach.

If you have any questions feel free to PM me, i just put hours into helping my buddy get this thing ready fo the road.

·
boost cooming soon!
567 Posts
Get it! fiero's have a lot of potential and are easy to work on. You can swap any thing from the factory v6 in to a 3800 supercharged pontiac motor or cadillac north star or a any other v8.I believe they had some problems with over heating but most people just ran the cooling fans all the time to fix that.

and here is a link for every part imaginable for the car http://www.fierostore.com/

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
fiero's are alright cars, good on gas, semi reliable, fun. Just there might be more to the engine probs than whats expected so be careful.

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
Thats pretty low miles. As long as it was taken care of, it should be fine. It will be hard to not swap it though once you have it. lol

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
those cars are basically a fiberglass body with a rear engine...which in a front end crash equals that engine in your spine!! just keep in mind there have been alot of people badly hurt in those cars,thats why my dad made my stepmom sell hers. if you drive carefully and watch for others i doubt you will wreck but just keep in mind for a dd it might not be the safest thing if you got a kid or if you always got someone with you.

·
Vrooom PSHHHH
6,486 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
Im sure that civic is alot safer. lol

·
Registered
669 Posts
the fiero had alot of issues with staying cool, due to GMs inexperience with mid engines and the fact it was an early expiriment with aluminum heads so they would crack alot, my dad had an 83, so im just going by what he experienced and what he found through research. so im sure it doesnt happen to all of them. theyre sweet cars but IMO for a DD that wouldnt be a worthwhile risk to take

·
boost cooming soon!
567 Posts
the fiero had alot of issues with staying cool, due to GMs inexperience with mid engines and the fact it was an early expiriment with aluminum heads so they would crack alot, my dad had an 83, so im just going by what he experienced and what he found through research. so im sure it doesnt happen to all of them. theyre sweet cars but IMO for a DD that wouldnt be a worthwhile risk to take
true, there not the greates dd but they are fun little cars

1 - 20 of 22 Posts