Honda Prelude Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi I just purchased a 1987 prelude with the 1.8L, it has 126,000 on it and I'm just wondering if there are any particular issues I should look out for.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Welcome! I recently sold my 84 dx as I got an 86 si, so the one thing I would keep an eye on are the carbs. They are tricky, hard to find anyone willing to still work on them and some parts (like floats) are almost impossible to find. Some people ditch them and convert to aftermarket carb setups. I kept mine stock which was not always easy to do. That’s really the only major warning I can provide as I loved mine...and kind of miss it. I still have a few spare parts so if there is anything you need, let me know.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Welcome! I recently sold my 84 dx as I got an 86 si, so the one thing I would keep an eye on are the carbs. They are tricky, hard to find anyone willing to still work on them and some parts (like floats) are almost impossible to find. Some people ditch them and convert to aftermarket carb setups. I kept mine stock which was not always easy to do. That’s really the only major warning I can provide as I loved mine...and kind of miss it. I still have a few spare parts so if there is anything you need, let me know.
Sounds good! Thank you very much, I'm happy to hear there's not much to be concerned about.

·
Aussie Aussie Aussie
1,697 Posts
Rust.. keep it off the salt roads and make sire you have time to fix any little scratches/dints as these are made of thin metal and panels are difficult to get a hold of.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Agreed with Rob and Zedries.

Rust.. keep it off the salt roads and make sire you have time to fix any little scratches/dints as these are made of thin metal and panels are difficult to get a hold of.
My '85 (was) an Ohio & Indiana car and rusted very strongly and rapidly at the gas tank filler, from both inside (just behind the locking door) and outside behind the tire well.

I also have problems with dissolved brake light "seals", which are needed to keep water out of the trunk/boot.

Lastly, I always have one hell of a time maintaining alternator tension via adjuster bolt, as it loosens every 6 months or so... that particular issue left me stranded once ... in the dark on I-10 heading N to Phoenix.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Agree with David - almost forgot about the tail light seals. They feel almost like they are designed to fail. Besides the gaskets disintegrating with age, I think the lights themselves warp a little. Plus the design channels the water runoff from trunk run the entire length of the light seals...so dirt gets deposited and any gap is trouble. Have replaced the gaskets with sheet gaskets I’ve cut, but still have issues. What seems to work - waterproof gorilla tape. Run it along the top of the light and body and create a gutter for the water that runs down the trunk line to run off.
I also have problems with dissolved brake light "seals", which are needed to keep water out of the trunk/boot.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Rob, I'm also struggling with a tail light leak. I've tried everything. I made new seals, and caulked everything everywhere, but still water is finding its way in. I think you are right, the water coming down the trunks drain channel is working its way into the light fixture. How, exactly, and where did you apply the waterproof gorilla tape? I'd like to try that, but am not quite sure how you did it. Thanks!

·
Registered
76 Posts
Rob, I'm also struggling with a tail light leak. I've tried everything. I made new seals, and caulked everything everywhere, but still water is finding its way in. I think you are right, the water coming down the trunks drain channel is working its way into the light fixture. How, exactly, and where did you apply the waterproof gorilla tape? I'd like to try that, but am not quite sure how you did it. Thanks!
I just had it across the entire top. Have since abandoned that idea as - you guessed it - water got in. I noticed that the seal in the light itself (where lens connects to light housing) also had a leak. I have sealed it with Flowable Silicone ($6 at O’Reillys). Love the stuff! So easy to work with and clear, seems to have solved that issue. Regarding the seal gasket between the light and car, I did notice on mine there was a gap with the little bit of play in the bolt holes. So, lifting the tail light up as far as it goes before torquing the bolts seems to be working - st least for now 😎. Good luck!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts