Honda Prelude Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm thinking about selling my 1986 Prelude Si. They car has been awesome but I'm thinking it might be time for a change. (I've been driving it since it was new!)

How have people gone about pricing their Preludes for sale? Kelly Blue Book?

And what's the best way to sell it? (eBay, Craigslist, Local Ads, Online forums)

Any and all advice is welcome.

Bob

·
Registered
3,226 Posts
Where do you live? I'm looking to buy one :D

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm in the Los Angeles area. But it's not on on the market just yet. I'm just considering it.... :)

Bob

SquishyPanda said:
Where do you live? I'm looking to buy one :D

·
Registered
3,226 Posts
Hmmm. ok keep me posted :D I'm in SD north county
I've just recently gotten into 2g's, so I have no useful suggestions on pricing and stuff. What I've heard is if you spend the money to post on Autotrader or something, you'll get what you want for the car. Craigslist is free, but there's cheapskates like me browsing those ads, so you'll have a hard time getting the price you want.

·
Registered
702 Posts
your only option is to look at the going prices of 2g's in the area, and price it somewhere around there

keep in mind a kelly blue book will have your car halving in value every 5 years, so do the math and it should be 1/16th of its value when you bought it, a kelly book would list it somewhere around 900-1700 depending on condition

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yes, and my car has 380,000 miles on it so the KBB value is pretty minimal. Your estimates were right on the money.

The KBB numbers are:

Excellent condition: $1350
Good Condition: $1095
Fair Condition: $725

Bob

Timmah said:
your only option is to look at the going prices of 2g's in the area, and price it somewhere around there

keep in mind a kelly blue book will have your car halving in value every 5 years, so do the math and it should be 1/16th of its value when you bought it, a kelly book would list it somewhere around 900-1700 depending on condition

·
Registered
194 Posts
If the body and interior is in good shape I would shoot for about $1000 then let them talk you down no lower than abput $600 or $700. In LA you should be able to get that out of it. Good Luck!

·
Registered
758 Posts
The fact is that its a 20 year old honda with over 380,000 miles on the clock. There's no way to make any decent money off it.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I totally agree. I think I'll just keep driving it for now. It would be cool to reach 400,000 miles.

Thanks everyone for all of the advice.

Bob

KidSupreme said:
The fact is that its a 20 year old honda with over 380,000 miles on the clock. There's no way to make any decent money off it.

·
Registered
991 Posts
god bless that car if it makes it to 400000 and take pics of the odometer. Mine has 600 miles on the motor rebuilt , 209K on the body w/ no rust and im sellin it for 800

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
When I bought the car I remember thinking that it would be a good deal if I got 100,000 miles out of it. I made the mistake of paying $500 for an extended warranty. That was the biggest waste of money. I think I hit 125,000 miles before I had to do any non-routine repairs. If I had put that same $500 in the Vanguard Index 500 fund today I'd have, well, a lot more than $500. ;-)

Bob

sickvteccrx91 said:
god bless that car if it makes it to 400000 and take pics of the odometer. Mine has 600 miles on the motor rebuilt , 209K on the body w/ no rust and im sellin it for 800

1 - 15 of 15 Posts