Honda Prelude Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
1986 Lude 1.8 Twin carbs will not charge the battery

Hi 1986 Honda Prelude 1.8 Twin Carbs battery light stays on after started. I just put a new alternator and it will not charge the battery. I checked the grounds and positive cables they seem to be just fine. I also checked the white wire going to the back of the alternator it gets 12 volts. when I check the white /green and the white/ red that go into the connector for the back of the alternator one wire reads 9.4 volts and the other like 14 + volts and variable at that. I have not changed the external voltage regulator. Does the voltage regulator control the signal for the alternator on this Prelude. Anyone have any idea on why this may not be charging Help please. Is there a way to test the Voltage Regulator on my Honda?
Thanks in advance tatyt

:pumpkin:

·
Registered
347 Posts
I need a new voltage regulator and gound wires and prob a altnnater i had the same prob last year and it fixed it

·
Registered
5,593 Posts
not charging

Check ground wires and clean up the terminals and fit new cables. Better to be over earthed than under.

Also the voltage regs are pretty weak on these cars they normally pop I've had countless numbers of them they don't particularly like high revs constantly either! Bought some replacement from US by another company and it's been perfectly fine think it's a little more robust as it's twice the size! lol!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Did you ever find the answer to this? I have the same symptom with the addition of my engine idling like 1000 RPM higher than usual, and I want to try everything I can before I have to try to take out that alternator.

·
Registered
2 Posts
if it is an a20 engine it has an idle speed control valve on the front of the intake. check that also if your idle surges it could have an air pocket in the cooling system as there are small 3/8" coolant lines that go up to the intake and also control the idle to some extent. hope this helps

1 - 5 of 5 Posts