Honda Prelude Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so i got a 85 from my buddy that was running awesome but timing belt went!! so i got it for free :) i had to take it in to the shop at the time i was really busy and because i got it for free it was worth it!! anyway they put in a new one and also replaced the fuel filter and the fuel pump. i got it back it ran good for maybe that day but started with the fuel problems so i parked it because i didn't have time and the shop that did it actually sold so i could not go back. so now i am driving it around and it is running fine in the morning but after it warms up it will start dumping fuel out of the carbs and the canister.... if you get the RPMs over like 2500 it will go fine but it seems so be getting worst because now it is dumping it out all the time leaving a trail of fuel lol. i changed plugs i cleaned the cap and rotor and tried to clean the carbs with cleaner and also sea foam in the last 2 fill ups? anyone know what i can do because i cant afford to take it back in to the shop? FYI i can work on things and i have a understanding of pretty much all older cars like this one but the air lines and duel carbs are putting me to the test lol thanks for taking the time to even read this!

·
Registered
76 Posts
I had the same issue with my 84 last year. The float in the right carb was stuck open, so fuel poured out of the air vent solenoid. Unfortunately, it meant they needed to be rebuilt. Mine sat for a long time with the previous owner, so the carbs got gummed up. Sounds like the same, esp since you already tried to spray them and sea foam to clean. Sorry. Good luck!

·
Registered
76 Posts
Not sure why engine temp would affect it - just know if fuel is pouring out, the float is stuck open. Why did you have the pump and filter changed if it was running fine? Asking because I did the same thing when I noticed there was a fuel delivery problem with mine. ultimately, the cause was the carbs.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I had the same thing, my float was stuck open. It would idle fine for about 2 mins and then it would sputter and die, fuel would be dripping from the air filter. I rebuilt the carbs and now I have other problems with it, so its in the works.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I had the same thing, my float was stuck open. It would idle fine for about 2 mins and then it would sputter and die, fuel would be dripping from the air filter. I rebuilt the carbs and now I have other problems with it, so its in the works.
The reason was it had been sitting and it had a little bit of rust and gunk. The needle wouldn't even come out of the seat. I had a spare one though because of the rebuild kit.

·
Registered
3 Posts
If it is a stuck float,you can sometimes free it up by tapping on the carbs with the handle of a screwdriver for example,just take care not to break the alu carbs.It's a temporary fix but might get you going again and it's easy to try and confirm your problem.

Auke.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts