Honda Prelude Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
iamNOTerator
5,945 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well I bet you already guessed from the title but my Lude is only getting 14 MPG now...wtf!? I do the math after every fill up and I even remember the one before this one was 28+. This time is was 13.98....

These past few days my driving has changed a lot due to all the snow that was just dumped on us, I've been driving in it because I need to for work. I let the car idle a few minutes before I start driving and the heat is always on as well, but would that really make the difference from 28 mpg to 14 mpg? I drove the car last winter too and I never remember it getting this low.

does anyone else notice a huge decrease in gas mileage during winter? Or should I be looking for something else?

·
Registered
4,292 Posts
Holy hell, That is worse than my Camaro! I have not noticed much of a change. I am getting a little less because I moved into the city and do a lot of stop and go driving.

·
Registered
852 Posts
I bet on my Teg, donuts and just spinning the tires everywhere, and I have seen barely any change from when I drive it normally in the summer. Maybe the snow adds more resistance to the car moving and you need more power or something? I have no clue lol

·
UK VTi Motegi bAby!
1,730 Posts
I know how it feels. Since it's gotten cold, im gettin 15mpg from mine, thats driving conservativly, with the odd VTEC.

·
Registered
2,423 Posts
Odd. I still get 28+. Is your rear bumper really blackened by the exhaust?

·
UK VTi Motegi bAby!
1,730 Posts
Yea mine does (no cat).

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
In colder weather they put additives in the fuels to help your car run better which doesnt help gas mileage. Also since its so cold it takes your car alot longer to get up to proper operating temperatures. Your car gets very sloppy gas mileage until the thermastat opens up. Idleing doesnt help your gas mileage either. But i dont rele see your MPG's getting that low unless you drive for very short distances, idle the car for long periods of time, and dog it everywhere.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Today I just filled up and got 14mpg. It doesn't help that most of the time the temp was below 0. Also cold air is more dense and means more O2 and more fuel to keep the right balance.

·
got 사랑?
572 Posts
maybe your tank is leaking, or your math is horrible 0.0 14 is pretty bad...at least gas prices dropped.. (for now)

·
Registered
1,831 Posts
In city? I call 25 in city BS. I was able to get 20-21 in my 97 SH.

Your sh weighed more, probably wasn't running as good as mine, and your probably drove it harder than I do :)

I generally get 25mpg city nowdays since I've done tons of maintenance items and drive relaxed

·
iamNOTerator
5,945 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Sorry but I refuse to believe that unless you're driving a civic.
haha, this guy again. I've been getting 25 mpg city since the day I bought my 97 SH....over two years ago now. I honestly don't care if you believe us or not, just letting you know how it is.

·
Registered
289 Posts
I guess my auto and having to drive up and down snowy hills in 1st or 2nd doesn't help either.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts