Honda Prelude Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone,

New to the Honda world! Just picked up a 87, 1.8L prelude. Got it off a gentleman for 300$! He thought he had a headgasket leak. Drive it home as it was smoking like a b*tch. I was planning to tear the engine apart anyway but when I got it home and saw where the oil was coming from it was a valve cover leak! Soo win for me haha

But I come to yall today because the thing had a bad exhaust leak. Took everything apart and bent a new exhaust up. Got new cat and gaskets. Well, when I was installing the down pipe to the manifold the studs on it all stripped out 馃槥 well i tried re tapping them and even tried removing them to no avail. Google has sent me down soo many rabbit holes that lead nowhere as well. Can someone help me out with either a link for a new manifold, a sweet aftermarket header or tell me if the 2.0L exhaust will fit on the 1.8? Because those things are dime a dozen haha

I really appreciate it! Thank you in advance!

Registered
How did you go about trying to remove the studs? I am assuming you are referring to the three studs on the downside of the exhaust manifold at the 4 into 2, and that hook up to the section of pipe that leads to the converter (downpipe to converter). If you have not done so, liberally coat the studs from above with something like PB Blaster and let it sit overnight so the solvent can penetrate the rust, and between the threads. It eventually will do so. then with a pair of stout vise grips see if they will budge - be careful not to snap/break them off, because that will make it much harder. If the vise-grips approach does nothing, you will have to heat up the area around each of the studs, not the stud itself, with some type of torch - propane or something similar - again, be careful 'cause you are working near gas! Make sure you are in an open area and have enough space around you - no gas, or flammable stuff nearby. The solvent you used earlier will burn off quickly if you have not got it all over the place. Then try the vise grip again. This should work the stud free. Again, don't heat up the stud directly - doing so will alter the strength of the stud and cause it to either twist or break off, which is what you don't want. If any of the studs have broken off, then you will have to drill into the broken off remining stud using a tool-steel drill bit slightly smaller than the stud size, and then retap it - royal PITA even if you have it off the engine and on your shop bench!
Good Luck.

Registered
By the way, right now there is an exhaust manifold for sale for the '85 - '87 FInj. Preludes on the popular auction site we all know that begins with an 'E'. Listing # is 592385, and is $50; compatibility lists the '87 1.8 prelude, so I don't know whether the two engines are the same. Seach for "
Good Luck
Exhaust Manifold Fuel Injected Engine Fits 85-87 PRELUDE 592385"

Registered
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks! I appreciate it! Ill check that out. Unfortunately it was the lower studs on the manifold itself that stripped out. The down pipe is ok. I bent all new stainless tube for that haha.

Registered
Hey, I鈥檝e have a very similar story and I鈥檝e narrowed it down to the valve cover leaking as well, someone recommended spraying gasket maker on the valve cover gasket to tighten the seal, do you have any better ideas that helped with it. Wanna get the best info before I just get to it and call it good.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts