Honda Prelude Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Evening all,

I have an 01' SH, 133K on the odometer,completely absolutely stock.

I am working through a P0172 and a P0175 code solution. I am working with my Actron CP9580A that can read live data. I am also looking at my [COLOR=blue !important][COLOR=blue !important]Helms[/COLOR][/COLOR] troubleshooting flowchart. Something as I am learning my scanner confuses me. Wondering if anybody else has ever seen this. I called Actron and they were not sure what it was and just chalked it up to a "[COLOR=blue !important][COLOR=blue !important]Honda[/COLOR][/COLOR] thing".

When I choose the O2 monitor test I choose to look at O2 Bank 1 Sensor 1, it displays the following;
Test $30
Mod $10
[COLOR=blue !important][COLOR=blue !important]Max[/COLOR][/COLOR] 2.2 (S)
Meas 1.2 (S)
Min 0.0 (S)

For O2 Bank 1 Sensor 2
Test $45
Mod $10
Max .8(V)
Meas .8(V)
Min .29(V)

I do not understand the pre-[COLOR=blue !important][COLOR=blue !important]CAT[/COLOR][/COLOR] readings. What is the S in parenthesis? Those numbers look strange. I am looking for voltages here I am thinking.

When I graph the pre-CAT sensor(O2S11), I get a nice changing square wave going from .929 to .011. I am thinking this is a normal reading?

When I graph the Post-CAT sensor(O2S12), I get an odd looking square wave(not the same as the pre-CAT, and it stays right around .717 to .786?

Even an opinion I'll take at this point.

Thank you all so much and have a good night.

Sid

·
Opinionated Bastard
7,274 Posts
Sounds like your post-cat O2 sensor is on it's way out, especially if it's the factory sensor. Both sensors should be triggering a square wave as it oscillates between voltages.

Head over to RockAuto.com and buy new front and rear sensors. Might as well do both while you're in there- the sensors do tend to wear out with age. I would suggest getting the NGK brand, as that's what's used from the factory.

·
Registered
7 Posts
99 Honda Prelude SH 202,000 KMS Complete overhaul of everything including sensors and solenoids and all other parts less than 3months old
I keep it updated whether it needs it or not.
Next is New shocks and Headlights then I am done for a while!

P0420
I had this code and I believed it was the CAT or the Sensors.
I changed the both SENSORS twice once with DENSO then with BOSCH.
Still the P0420 came on.
So I put in a straight THRU pipe in with 02 Sensor and the P0420 still comes on after 40 miles!
No CAT and a STRAIGHT THRU pipe is in and still the code P0420 comes on.
Any suggestions?

·
Opinionated Bastard
7,274 Posts
99 Honda Prelude SH 202,000 KMS Complete overhaul of everything including sensors and solenoids and all other parts less than 3months old

P0420
I changed the both SENSORS twice once with DENSO then with BOSCH.
Still the P0420 came on.
So I put in a straight THRU pipe in with 02 Sensor and the P0420 still comes on after 40 miles!
Any suggestions?
Yeah, don't cheap out and put a cat on the car. The reason you're getting a P0420 (if you've actually checked to see what the code means) is because your old cat wasn't performing up to spec. A test pipe is even worse.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Yeah, don't cheap out and put a cat on the car. The reason you're getting a P0420 (if you've actually checked to see what the code means) is because your old cat wasn't performing up to spec. A test pipe is even worse.
Yes I did check P0420 and I am a 99 Honda Prelude SH Expert as I have the car since new and know every nut and bolt! Obviously you are stating that a CAT is the only way and is necessary to run correctly! RIGHT!

·
Opinionated Bastard
7,274 Posts
Yes I did check P0420 and I am a 99 Honda Prelude SH Expert as I have the car since new and know every nut and bolt! Obviously you are stating that a CAT is the only way and is necessary to run correctly! RIGHT!
It's spelled "Dunce", not "Expert", for future reference.

You need a catalytic converter in order for your car to NOT have a CEL on for a poorly performing or missing catalytic converter.

I literally cannot dumb it down any further than that for you.

·
Registered
7 Posts
It's spelled "Dunce", not "Expert", for future reference.

You need a catalytic converter in order for your car to NOT have a CEL on for a poorly performing or missing catalytic converter.

I literally cannot dumb it down any further than that for you.
Thank you DUNCE ! Read again!

NO COMMENT

·
Opinionated Bastard
7,274 Posts
I'm not sure if I'm reading your reply correctly or not, but this is what I got out of your first message. Please, correct me if I'm wrong.

P0420
You had a P0420 code.
I changed the both SENSORS twice once with DENSO then with BOSCH. You replaced the oxygen sensors. Twice. Why, I have no idea.
Still the P0420 came on. You failed to fix your problem, because you didn't address the cat actually being bad with 200kM+ on it.
You put a ricer test pipe on your car in a half-ass attempt to fix it.
You still have the ricer test pipe on it currently, with a P0420 CEL light.
Any suggestions?
You are still oblivious as to why you have this CEL code popping up for Catalyst Efficiency Below Threshold, when you don't have a catalytic converter on the car.

Am I missing something or are you just dense? Also, when you say "NO COMMENT", you probably shouldn't do it in a comment reply on a message forum. Kind of defeats the purpose.

·
Registered
7 Posts
1) My CAT was 3years old
2) I replaced the 02 sensors twice because of the P0420 code
3) By putting on a 90dg 02 Sensor extension the P0420 will go out.
4) This will cause the gasses time to recirculate & dissipate and retain the 15HP increase the Straight Thru pipe gives instead of the CAT!

·
Administrator
6,802 Posts
After you received the same responses over at PZ, you decided to come here with your ignorance. Please do not show disrespect to the helpful members of these boards, this is a warning.

Replace the catalytic converter.

There is not a 15hp gain by doing a "delete".

You feel you know every nut and bolt on your car? Unless you've removed/replaced every single one, I find it highly unlikely.

·
Registered
2,832 Posts
If.you dont want to run a cat, and you dont want a p0420 then you need to get an o2 simulator to replace the secondary o2 sensor.

This will trick the stock pcm into beleive that there is a cat and it.is functioning well, getring rid of the code.

So, this solution wasnt.offered by the other replies, so please keep your.shitty crackhead attitude away from my.post. Either fix your shit the right fucking way or shut the fuck up and get your ass the fuck off this site.

·
Administrator
6,802 Posts
Easy there guys. I think enough has been said. Ingred, you've got the info you need, be done with it.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Lol. I wish I had seen this before the delete. I enjoy seeing a noob idiot put in their place. Even after being on here for a while, I have enough sense not to piss off Moderators and Senior members.

Prelude SH expert...smh.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts