3rd Gen_ SR Citizen - Honda Prelude Forum : Honda Prelude Forums
Home Forums Albums Garage iTrader Arcade
Register FAQ Insurance Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow Advertise

PreludePower.com is the premier Honda Prelude Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 11-15-2014, 08:56 PM   #1
Andrew
I am Prelude

Andrew has a spectacular aura aboutAndrew has a spectacular aura about

Prelude of the Month
SR Citizen

I bought it November 8, 2014 with 177k km on it.

It appears to have been maintained quite well and I hope to continue that as much as possible, though it will be daily driven in all weather.

All the shiny bits will be coming off my old car. As of now, the car is completely stock except the wheels and the '90s vinyl graphic. Those are literally the only two things I've been able to find that are not OEM (or OEM style wear items).
I have it on winter tires already, and it will stay at stock height this winter. In spring it'll get new bushings and all the suspension parts I have on hand ready to transform it into a corner carver.

"SR" is a Canadian trim level that's pretty much the same as Si. This car has a B21A1, 5-speed, illuminated keyholes, AC, and power windows (but manual locks).

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

instagram: @
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:
I think in '87 the engineers at Honda got the bean counters drunk on sake before having them sign off on the Prelude design.
"W-wait! Why are the shifter cables adjustable? No one is ever going to..."
"A toast to your health!
Andrew is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-15-2014, 10:32 PM   #2
mar_phi6
Lude Cray

mar_phi6 is on a distinguished road
Good Pickup!! Now the white lude remind me back the late 80 and early 90 with the graphics!!
Old 11-16-2014, 04:03 AM   #3
Austro
True Luder

Austro is on a distinguished road
Those vinyls suit the 4WD spec height bahahaha.

Austro is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2014, 09:45 AM   #4
Andrew
I am Prelude

Prelude of the Month
That vinyl isn't going anywhere until I see how it looks when the car is lowered. I do like a clean car but who am I to remove 20-something-year-old graphics?

That being said, other stuff has started changing.
A last look at the stock interior.

Pulled the stereo and shifter out.

Stock shifter on left, Mustardcat short shifter on right.
Installed with Password JDM shift knob and boot, and a modern stereo.

Quote:
I think in '87 the engineers at Honda got the bean counters drunk on sake before having them sign off on the Prelude design.
"A toast to your health!

Last edited by Andrew; 12-07-2014 at 03:47 PM.
Old 11-17-2014, 10:53 AM   #5
ludeman69
I am Prelude

ludeman69 will become famous soon enough
Coming along! Can't wait to see how it turns out

White 91 4ws-Built B21a-

Red 90 Civic Wagon RT4WD DOHC ZC-
ludeman69 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-18-2014, 06:08 AM   #6
Hazwan
True Luder

Hazwan is on a distinguished road
Haha the graphics made me feel old

1986 Honda Prelude

1981 Honda Accord (sold)
Hazwan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-19-2014, 11:07 AM   #7
Andrew
I am Prelude

Prelude of the Month
Thanks ludeman. Hazwan, sorry for the reminder. I feel young because I don't really remember the time when these graphics were popular.

I had a Canadian Tire gift card, so I picked up some new headlights last night. On my other car, I was using Sylvania Silverstars, but they got fried when the voltage regulator died. I liked them, but decided to try GE Nighthawks instead this time around. They're rated for 150 hours instead of 100.

The output seems a bit more yellowish and possibly not quite as bright as the Silverstars. But hey, 50% more longevity.

Nighthawk (left), Whatever generic H6054 came with the car (right).

Quote:
"A toast to your health!

Last edited by Andrew; 11-19-2014 at 09:36 PM.
Old 11-19-2014, 09:49 PM   #8
Andrew
I am Prelude

Prelude of the Month
I've never seen such old stock speakers in such good shape.

Nevertheless they had to go.

I hope I can stay satisfied with this for a while. The bass is lacking but I'm thinking about selling my sub instead of installing it. So nice to have trunk space.

Quote:
"A toast to your health!
Old 11-22-2014, 06:19 PM   #9
Andrew
I am Prelude

Prelude of the Month
Today I swapped my brakes from the blue car over. I would have taken some more pictures, but it's winter and the weather was like this from about when I got the old brakes off to when I was done bleeding them.

The brakes are from a 4th gen VTEC with redrilled rotors. Techna-Fit stainless lines. Wagner Thermoquiet pads.

Quote:
"A toast to your health!
Old 11-24-2014, 06:52 AM   #10
NeedsMoreBass
Getting Comfortable

NeedsMoreBass is on a distinguished road
Whoah whoah whoah is that a rear window visor on the darker blue lude??
NeedsMoreBass is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-24-2014, 08:12 AM   #11
Andrew
I am Prelude

Prelude of the Month
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeedsMoreBass View Post
Whoah whoah whoah is that a rear window visor on the darker blue lude??
Yes it is. Get yours here:
https://www.preludepower.com/forums/s...d.php?t=386833

Quote:
"A toast to your health!
Old 11-25-2014, 05:11 PM   #12
wayne2014
Getting Comfortable

wayne2014 is on a distinguished road
Nice one Andrew!

So these Pioneer speakers fit right into the rear metal shelf pre-drilled holes?

Man, wish I knew that earlier

But nice find
wayne2014 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-29-2014, 06:27 PM   #13
Andrew
I am Prelude

Prelude of the Month
Today was -6 and windy, but sunny, and work on the blue car continued even though I couldn't feel my toes. Stock brakes and suspension are reinstalled now, so it's getting close to ready to sell. Since the rear windshield visor was still on it, so I pulled that off and stuck it on the white car.

Just a mock up since I didn't have any double sided tape on hand.

I also took the car in today for a coolant flush, since the coolant was brown. I wanted a proper flush rather than just draining the old and adding new.

Quote:
"A toast to your health!
Old 12-07-2014, 03:53 PM   #14
Andrew
I am Prelude

Prelude of the Month
Installed Cudaboy front STB and NGK plug wires.

And decided to run the LeBra for a while, because why not?

Quote:
"A toast to your health!
Old 12-07-2014, 07:04 PM   #15
Austro
True Luder

Austro is on a distinguished road
Wow, that is such a clean bay. Was it like that when you got it?

Austro is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-07-2014, 11:12 PM   #16
Andrew
I am Prelude

Prelude of the Month
Yep! I can't imagine it will stay that clean with me driving 500-600km every week, but I'll try and keep it somewhat presentable.

Quote:
"A toast to your health!
Old 12-07-2014, 11:53 PM   #17
cudaboy
Elite Member

cudaboy is the King of the Internetcudaboy is the King of the Internetcudaboy is the King of the Internetcudaboy is the King of the Internetcudaboy is the King of the Internetcudaboy is the King of the Internetcudaboy is the King of the Internetcudaboy is the King of the Internetcudaboy is the King of the Internetcudaboy is the King of the Internetcudaboy is the King of the Internet
Send a message via Yahoo to cudaboy

yeah just noticed you have the factory battery tie down. Mine was missing when I got mine. Also valve cover and heat shield paint looks good if it is original that says a lot.

'91 Si 4ws 5spd(black) "Black Betty"
'70 'Cuda 340 C.I.D. Alpine White, Black Vynil Top, Leather Interior, Rim Blow, Overhead Consolette. Factory Posi 3.55:1, 15" ralleyes, --Fully Loaded and Extremely Rare!

cudaboy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-08-2014, 01:48 PM   #18
Andrew
I am Prelude

Prelude of the Month
I'm quite sure it is original paint. The plastic routing clips for the spark plug cables were all intact! The clock cover is intact and there's even paint pen on the suspension nuts and bolts, which tells me it was maintained by someone careful.

Quote:
"A toast to your health!
Old 12-08-2014, 05:40 PM   #19
cudaboy
Elite Member

cudaboy is the King of the Internetcudaboy is the King of the Internetcudaboy is the King of the Internetcudaboy is the King of the Internetcudaboy is the King of the Internetcudaboy is the King of the Internetcudaboy is the King of the Internetcudaboy is the King of the Internetcudaboy is the King of the Internetcudaboy is the King of the Internetcudaboy is the King of the Internet

paint pen was done when they were torqued at the factory in 91. I have them too. Remember my pink dots on the spark plug wires at the distributor? That meant someone checked to make sure they were installed correctly and all the way. I will have to look up the conversion. Too fried right now from hell of a commute took an hour in nonstop stop and go traffic creeping.

Mine had 144k miles when I bought it and it was one owner 12 years old. Since found out a month ago or so she had been hit in the same ds rear quarter corner where she was hit in '09 while parked. Should be able to patch a new quarter corner in this winter in the garage. I cut two corners of that corner with hacksaw at junkyard on two different ludes. I just hadn't got to doing the surgery on mine yet. That and the replacement hood were both a surprise as there was no insurance record of it being in a collision or whatever.

'70 'Cuda 340 C.I.D. Alpine White, Black Vynil Top, Leather Interior, Rim Blow, Overhead Consolette. Factory Posi 3.55:1, 15" ralleyes, --Fully Loaded and Extremely Rare!

Old 12-08-2014, 10:56 PM   #20
Andrew
I am Prelude

Prelude of the Month
My plug wires had the dots too.

I suspect the suspension has been worked on because the paint pen looks messier than factory, and more importantly to me, the shock fork bolts are not seized. Do you know what color paint Honda used?

Quote:
"A toast to your health!
Old 12-08-2014, 11:29 PM   #21
cudaboy
Elite Member

The spark plugs wires were a standard run of the mill pink. The suspension and brakes? was standard run of the mill bright yellow. At least that is what mine is and what I may have noticed once or so at the junkyard. There may be more colors and places but those were what I noticed. The cuda originally came with all kinds of paint colors all over the place for the same reason. Most weren't visible when I got it and at that point it wasn't real common knowledge for restoration. I had some pics but most I just had to go off references in magazines and books for accurate reproduction. This was compounded by me stripping the 'cuda down to suspension and unibody only and then having the whole thing sand blasted.

I think on my lude I may have noticed yellow on motor mount bolts and tranny mount bolts to and hard line brake fittings at the master cylinder maybe and the proportioning valve tree of brake fittings there on passenger engine side wall apron unibody at fittings. Tranny side. I will have to check to confirm in the future when I work on it again.

Last edited by cudaboy; 12-08-2014 at 11:32 PM.
Old 12-09-2014, 09:46 AM   #22
Andrew
I am Prelude

Prelude of the Month
Wow, I bet mine's actually that original then. I have yellow paint on all the spots you mentioned. It's amazing the paint all still looks bright and even more amazing the LCA bolts are not seized. Im going to get some anti-seize on them, stat.

Quote:
"A toast to your health!
Old 12-13-2014, 11:54 AM   #23
Andrew
I am Prelude

Prelude of the Month
Little things...

I did an antenna delete but kept the antenna. It's tilted forward inside the fender. On my last car, I removed it for weight savings, but this way I can still listen to traffic updates while having a cleaner look.

If you do this, don't pay for an "antenna delete plug" on ebay, just buy Honda part #82871-671-000. It is a simple 25mm grommet.

I also put some Canadian Tire exhaust finishers on the muffler, since they were missing.

Quote:
"A toast to your health!
Old 12-17-2014, 10:24 PM   #24
Andrew
I am Prelude

Prelude of the Month
Installed a Whiteline rear sway bar tonight, with rev_rage endlinks.

It's nice to try it out on a stock setup for a change. Now I can agree with others who have said it's the single most effective suspension upgrade. I'm on my winter tires, so the car still doesn't have sharp reflexes, but I can feel less body roll and how the front end has more grip.

In less happy news, I took a closer look and there's definitely bondo on my passenger rear quarter (see the little rust spot in the picture above). I can't tell the exact extent of the rust that was there before, but I know it'll spread even faster with that bondo holding water.

I also checked and found out the rear LCA bolts are seized after all. It's a dumb design if you think about it, torque from the wrench has to go through the whole length of that bolt. I would rather be able to loosen the nut than have it welded to the shock.

Quote:
"A toast to your health!
Old 01-01-2015, 07:51 PM   #25
Andrew
I am Prelude

Prelude of the Month
Replaced the door speakers...
with a pair of Polk DB651s....

Which were my favorite Christmas gift this year!

Hub-centric rings for my winter wheels, can't believe I went 2.5 seasons without. Totally worth the $8!

Quote:
"A toast to your health!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement