2g Prelude brake upgrades - Page 2 - Honda Prelude Forum : Honda Prelude Forums
Home Forums Albums Garage iTrader Arcade
Register FAQ Insurance Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow Advertise

PreludePower.com is the premier Honda Prelude Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 02-23-2011, 07:44 PM   #26
cygnus x-1
I am Prelude

cygnus x-1 will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by night View Post
ya I have been wondering how thats gone. thread has been stale for awhile. I would like to get the sealed bearing for the rear and if you do come up with some improvement on the rear disk I'd be on that at the same time. although bigger won't do me any good. I may have issues locking up the rear at the rate this is going.

I will be using Hawk DTC-60 pads and I need the newer style caliper.

Honestly one of my motivating factors for coming up with all these upgrades is long term parts availability. Parts support is quickly running out and it would suck to not be able to find even basic stuff like brake rotors and calipers. Granted I think we'll have cheap (made in China ebay crap) replacement parts still for a long time but it would nice to have options that are at least half way decent.

Anyway, for the rear rotors I'm aiming for the 10.2" EP3 civic rotors. They would really only be necessary with 11" rotors on the front, or maybe 10.3" with ITR calipers. OR if you're wanting to do a brake booster delete like I am (yes, I'm somewhat insane). The rear calipers will either be 1g Legend calipers or maybe RSX calipers. The problem is that the bracket mount hole spacing is 85mm, which only matches the Legends. To use any of the upgrade calipers that the Civic/Integra guys use we would need a custom mounting plate. So that's also in the works. Yeah, I'm busy to say the least.

But before we get ahead of ourselves, the other day I was also comparing some 2g Integra pads to the SI pads and they look so similar as to be interchangeable. I haven't tried it but it looks doable. If it is we at least have some decent pad options even with stock rear brakes.

C|
cygnus x-1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-23-2011, 09:21 PM   #27
night
Lude Addict

night is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by cygnus x-1 View Post
But before we get ahead of ourselves, the other day I was also comparing some 2g Integra pads to the SI pads and they look so similar as to be interchangeable. I haven't tried it but it looks doable. If it is we at least have some decent pad options even with stock rear brakes.
by the numbers, only the 2gen Si, 1gen teg, and 86-87 LXi are the same. but other things can't be off much.

I have had an 89 LXi front setup for a long time though and it should do me fine for a long while.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
night is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-24-2011, 12:07 AM   #28
cygnus x-1
I am Prelude

Quote:
by the numbers, only the 2gen Si, 1gen teg, and 86-87 LXi are the same. but other things can't be off much.
I just checked and a 2g Integra pad fits into the SI caliper bracket. It also looks dimensionally identical to the SI pad so I can't see any reason they wouldn't work.

Also, I measured the DX and SI rear caliper pistons and the DX looks to be smaller by 1mm (28mm vs 29mm). That could just be on the outside though. I would have to take the pistons out to be really sure.

Quote:
I have had an 89 LXi front setup for a long time though and it should do me fine for a long while.
That's a good setup and really should be plenty of braking power for any street car and even for racing. The major difference between those and the ITR calipers is the pad size. The pistons are actually the same.

C|

Old 04-01-2011, 05:45 AM   #29
fmn716
2G 4 LIFE !!!

fmn716 will become famous soon enough
Not sure if this would help but would be really awesome

http://www.team-integra.net/forum/19...e-upgrade.html

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

BMW V8 1 Series
fmn716 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-01-2011, 12:44 PM   #30
cygnus x-1
I am Prelude

Quote:
Originally Posted by fmn716 View Post
Not sure if this would help but would be really awesome

http://www.team-integra.net/forum/19...e-upgrade.html

The legend 2pot calipers are theoretically a drop in for the ITR calipers. So there's a good chance they would fit with the 23T bracket and the 262mm (10.3") Integra/Civic rotors. There is still the issue of the inside of the pad dragging on the rotor hat. I thought I had found a solution but it's not working for some reason. Worst case you have to do some minor grinding on the pad backing plates or you enlarge the holes on the knuckle slightly.

One note on the 2pot calipers, they are directional and should be installed on the correct side to maintain proper pad wear. The Legends have the calipers mounted on the opposite side of the wheel than most other Hondas so the bleed nipples will end up on the bottom instead of the top. This is ok, it just means that you have to bleed the calipers off of the rotor with a piece of wood or something to simulate the pad/rotor/pad stack.

The 282mm rotors are also a possibility but would need either CL type calipers/brackets (which are single pot) on the stock 2g knuckles or a 3g Accord knuckle swap, which has more collateral impact if you have a DX.

C|
Old 04-01-2011, 10:18 PM   #31
fullthrottle_man
Lude Boss

fullthrottle_man is on a distinguished road
Is this stickied?

'87 Prelude DX
Believe me, it's faster than it looks...try hanging with me in the twisties...

Quote:
Aren't there like 3 people in Montana?

So that means what, 2/3rds of the population of Montana drive Preludes by my math.
fullthrottle_man is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-02-2011, 01:25 AM   #32
fmn716
2G 4 LIFE !!!

fmn716 will become famous soon enough
I am gonna got through some stickies toninght been lazy recently :P, but yes this is excellent information as always

dankie bru!!!

BMW V8 1 Series
fmn716 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-22-2011, 05:55 AM   #33
zedries
Aussie Aussie Aussie

zedries will become famous soon enoughzedries will become famous soon enough

Hey Cygnus, curious about the Int 2 set up. I have the opportunity to get a pair of EG civic rotors and calipers (int 2B)?

I'm a little confused about the civic listings.

1983 JDM 1.8 ES - coming soon: twin carbs - digidash and other goodies.
zedries is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-22-2011, 10:46 AM   #34
cygnus x-1
I am Prelude

Quote:
Originally Posted by zedries View Post
Hey Cygnus, curious about the Int 2 set up. I have the opportunity to get a pair of EG civic rotors and calipers (int 2B)?

I'm a little confused about the civic listings.

Yeah, as it turns out I'm still confused about the Int 2 setup as well, and here's why. The 2g 'ludes (except B20) all have essentially the same knuckle spacing as the DX Civic, meaning that the typical front brake upgrades won't work unless you swap to a 3g Accord knuckle, which if you have a DX means you also need different axles and gearbox.
The later 3g Accord LXi, 2g Integra (DA), and 3g Integra(DC) (not ITR), all have the same size rotors and caliper to spindle spacing, so they are all basically interchangeable. They also all happen to use the larger knuckle spacing, which our 2g 'ludes don't have. The confusion then is how Maxx1983 managed to fit 3g Integra calipers and rotors without either doing a knuckle swap or modifying the 'lude knuckles to change the mounting hole spacing. I can think of ways to do it but they require a fair bit of welding and grinding.

As far as those EG rotors and calipers, do you know what the casting number on the calipers is? And how about the rotor diameter? They may or may not be the same as the Integras depending on the sub-model. And incidentally my table incorrectly lists 94-01 Integras as 2nd gen when they are really 3rd gen.

Either way they probably won't work as a set.

C|
Old 09-23-2011, 11:57 PM   #35
cygnus x-1
I am Prelude

Bump for updated table (in the first post). It's a pdf though because Open Office is being a bitch and won't let me convert to a jpg. I could use some ideas on that.

C|
Old 09-24-2011, 05:06 AM   #36
88SE Lude
Prelude Aficionado

88SE Lude has much to be proud of88SE Lude has much to be proud of88SE Lude has much to be proud of88SE Lude has much to be proud of88SE Lude has much to be proud of88SE Lude has much to be proud of88SE Lude has much to be proud of88SE Lude has much to be proud of
Cyg, just to give you more accurate info on the ITR brakes.
Earlier Integra Type Rs, 96-98 used smaller calipers front and rear. CV14 fronts with 262mm rotors. 242mm rotors on the rear. (4 stud 4x114.3mm PCD) Min 14" wheel.
(98-on ITRs used CV15 calipers on the front, 282mm rotors and 262mm rotors on the rear. ( 5 stud 5x114.3mm PCD). Min 15" wheel.

No idea if you got any of them as an official US model or not, they are for the JDM or UK models.

That may have been more use in your other thread tbh.

"You are not entitled to an opinion. An opinion is what you have when you don't have any facts. When you have the facts, you don't need an opinion"

MustardCat - "You have free access to people with decades worth of experience here. Being asked to format your posts in a readable manner is very reasonable. Call your local Honda dealer and see how much they want per hour to have a master tech diagnose your problem..."
88SE Lude is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-24-2011, 03:28 PM   #37
cygnus x-1
I am Prelude

Quote:
Originally Posted by 88SE Lude View Post
Cyg, just to give you more accurate info on the ITR brakes.
Earlier Integra Type Rs, 96-98 used smaller calipers front and rear. CV14 fronts with 262mm rotors. 242mm rotors on the rear. (4 stud 4x114.3mm PCD) Min 14" wheel.
(98-on ITRs used CV15 calipers on the front, 282mm rotors and 262mm rotors on the rear. ( 5 stud 5x114.3mm PCD). Min 15" wheel.

No idea if you got any of them as an official US model or not, they are for the JDM or UK models.

Oh yes, I do remember that now. According to Rockauto the earliest ITR we got was '97, and it uses the larger calipers and rotors with 5 bolts. The same big calipers came on a lot of different cars though (even before the Type R existed), so calling it an "ITR" caliper is actually a bit of a misnomer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 88SE Lude View Post
That may have been more use in your other thread tbh.
It's good here too. This is actually supposed to be the general 2g brake upgrade thread. The other thread is really just for my particular setup right now.

C|
Sponsored Links
Advertisement