chipping p13 - Honda Prelude Forum : Honda Prelude Forums
Home Forums Albums Garage iTrader Arcade
Register FAQ Insurance Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow Advertise

PreludePower.com is the premier Honda Prelude Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 06-27-2007, 08:27 PM   #1
staytruestayfree
True Luder

staytruestayfree is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to staytruestayfree
chipping p13

does anyone do it?
what all functions do you loose as of a p13 compared to a p28?
also ive heard that it cannot be tuned with hondata ( thread at HT )
true?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

staytruestayfree is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-27-2007, 09:12 PM   #2
motoxxxman
Banned

motoxxxman is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to motoxxxman Send a message via Yahoo to motoxxxman
p13's cannot be chipped, at all, not for any system. thats all there is to it.

its either p28, p72, or full aftermarket standalone system, or piggyback tuning system like the emanage ultimate.
motoxxxman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-27-2007, 12:05 PM   #3
Kabuki
True Luder

Kabuki is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Kabuki
Quote:
Originally Posted by motoxxxman View Post
p13's cannot be chipped, at all, not for any system. thats all there is to it.

its either p28, p72, or full aftermarket standalone system, or piggyback tuning system like the emanage ultimate.
Good lord. Why does bullshit like this get left alone, as if it is canon?
The P13, as well as the associated P11/P12/P14/P39 units can certainly be chipped. I've done it myself. The DIFFICULT part is the actual tuning. None of the ROM editors actually have fuel map support for the P13 codebase. Crome and Alltune (maybe other like Neptune too) will allow you to easily change ignition timing and features (sensors and stuff), but the fuel maps must be tuned by hand. Still a LOT you can do with them though.
I've also had excellent luck transposing the individual tables from the P0A/P0B/P0C/P0J/P1E units in and out of those based on the P13 hardware. While the ROMs themselves are different and incompatible, the tables are interchangeable.
Kabuki is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2007, 12:28 PM   #4
Litlsquirrel
True Luder

Litlsquirrel is on a distinguished road
Has anybody ever seen this chip before for the p13?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/93-95...ayphotohosting

Reason I ask is because I am swapping in a JDM OBD1 H22A into my 98 SH and I would like to use the OBD1 P13 ECU that came with my motor and tranny instead of using my OBD2 ECU already in the car. However, I have heard many times that I cannot just run a jumper harness to my p13, I also have to get it chipped and have it tuned, is this correct? I can't just plug in the p13 and go right?

HIGH REVS SAVE LIVES
Litlsquirrel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-27-2007, 12:42 PM   #5
motoxxxman
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kabuki View Post
Good lord. Why does bullshit like this get left alone, as if it is canon?
The P13, as well as the associated P11/P12/P14/P39 units can certainly be chipped. I've done it myself. The DIFFICULT part is the actual tuning. None of the ROM editors actually have fuel map support for the P13 codebase. Crome and Alltune (maybe other like Neptune too) will allow you to easily change ignition timing and features (sensors and stuff), but the fuel maps must be tuned by hand. Still a LOT you can do with them though.
I've also had excellent luck transposing the individual tables from the P0A/P0B/P0C/P0J/P1E units in and out of those based on the P13 hardware. While the ROMs themselves are different and incompatible, the tables are interchangeable.
aka, you cant chip a p13. simple as that. just because the actual parts can be added does not mean it's chippable.

when asking if someone can chip an ecu, it means you have to be able to have parts to actually tune (the chips and other parts added or altered), and you need software to be able to do so in the proper way.

so again, you cannot chip a p13. maybe you as one person specifically can do it and alter it in your own method taking weeks on end to do so, but it is not something practical or worthwhile.

no, you cant chip a p13, or any other prelude ecu. not unless you can create your own software to do so and distribute it so people can actually tune it
Old 07-27-2007, 12:49 PM   #6
Litlsquirrel
True Luder

Quote:
aka, you cant chip a p13. simple as that. just because the actual parts can be added does not mean it's chippable.

when asking if someone can chip an ecu, it means you have to be able to have parts to actually tune (the chips and other parts added or altered), and you need software to be able to do so in the proper way.

so again, you cannot chip a p13. maybe you as one person specifically can do it and alter it in your own method taking weeks on end to do so, but it is not something practical or worthwhile.

no, you cant chip a p13, or any other prelude ecu. not unless you can create your own software to do so and distribute it so people can actually tune it
Then what is this?
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/93-95...ayphotohosting

HIGH REVS SAVE LIVES
Old 07-27-2007, 01:17 PM   #7
motoxxxman
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Litlsquirrel View Post
a blind chip

blind chip equals 50/50 chance of your engine living or dying

a blind chip is a "tune" that someone either makes from scratch, or copies from a full tune they completed themselves, or the second one but modified a bit.

and to get more power out of a stock engine, you need to alter the stock tune to a point that is more dangerous than the facotry ecu. its the only way. and no engine is the same. a tune from one engine will have different effects on an identical engine. and much much bigger differences/effects on the same engine but with a different setup.

sometimes you'll get a bit more power and still be safe. sometimes you'll get a bit more power but blow the motor in a timely fashion. sometimes you lose power and still be safe, sometimes you'll lose power and blow the motor.

the only way to get more power out of it while staying reliable is to actually tune your car. and you cannot tune a p13 ecu unless you are a computer guru, have the proper software, and the proper hardware to do so. and nobody does this as a service yet. nobody.
so the only way to actually tune your car for more power reliably is to use a tuneable ecu that there is actually support for.

with a blind chip like this one that is meant for a bone stock engine, the further from stock your engine is, the more likely your engine will be to not last so long, or get damaged, or just plain fully blow up.

if you want to try it, thats all on you. but i will be telling you i told ya so when we hear about your engine not lasting any more than another 10k-20k miles, or even 10-20 miles
Old 07-27-2007, 01:28 PM   #8
Litlsquirrel
True Luder

Quote:
a blind chip

blind chip equals 50/50 chance of your engine living or dying

a blind chip is a "tune" that someone either makes from scratch, or copies from a full tune they completed themselves, or the second one but modified a bit.

and to get more power out of a stock engine, you need to alter the stock tune to a point that is more dangerous than the facotry ecu. its the only way. and no engine is the same. a tune from one engine will have different effects on an identical engine. and much much bigger differences/effects on the same engine but with a different setup.

sometimes you'll get a bit more power and still be safe. sometimes you'll get a bit more power but blow the motor in a timely fashion. sometimes you lose power and still be safe, sometimes you'll lose power and blow the motor.

the only way to get more power out of it while staying reliable is to actually tune your car. and you cannot tune a p13 ecu unless you are a computer guru, have the proper software, and the proper hardware to do so. and nobody does this as a service yet. nobody.
so the only way to actually tune your car for more power reliably is to use a tuneable ecu that there is actually support for.

with a blind chip like this one that is meant for a bone stock engine, the further from stock your engine is, the more likely your engine will be to not last so long, or get damaged, or just plain fully blow up.

if you want to try it, thats all on you. but i will be telling you i told ya so when we hear about your engine not lasting any more than another 10k-20k miles, or even 10-20 miles

Got it, thanks for the warning

HIGH REVS SAVE LIVES
Old 07-27-2007, 01:31 PM   #9
motoxxxman
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Litlsquirrel View Post
Got it, thanks for the warning
sure thing, you're welcome
Old 07-27-2007, 04:22 PM   #10
Kabuki
True Luder

Quote:
Well, technically, yes, it does. What YOU mean is that they are not tuneable.

Quote:
The tables can be (and have been) edited manually. Just because you haven't done something, does not make that thing impossible. There's a big difference between being to lazy or unskilled to do something, and the task actually being impossible to perform.

Quote:
NOW you are actually saying what you mean.

Quote:
I'd say it again, but it's repetitive.

I will agree with you about the ebay performance chips being a load of crap, though.
Old 07-27-2007, 04:24 PM   #11
98vtec
bangin' gears

98vtec is a name known to all98vtec is a name known to all98vtec is a name known to all98vtec is a name known to all98vtec is a name known to all98vtec is a name known to all

Prelude of the Month
you cant do any tuning on them, but you can chip them and use eproms.

instagram - @850fab
facebook - @850Fabrication
98vtec is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-27-2007, 04:55 PM   #12
Kabuki
True Luder

No. You CAN tune them, there just is no tuning software support for the FUEL tables. You have to edit those manually with a hex editor. But Crome still works nicely for editing timing and features.
Old 07-27-2007, 05:36 PM   #13
98vtec
bangin' gears

98vtec is a name known to all98vtec is a name known to all98vtec is a name known to all98vtec is a name known to all98vtec is a name known to all98vtec is a name known to all

Prelude of the Month
exactly, so you cant do any tuning unless you like burning new chips everytime you make a change.

instagram - @850fab
Old 07-27-2007, 05:43 PM   #14
motoxxxman
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 98vtec View Post
exactly, so you cant do any tuning unless you like burning new chips everytime you make a change.
and you need to know how to edit the hex of the chip manually which very very few tuners know how to do lol
Old 07-27-2007, 06:16 PM   #15
turboludespeed
Lude Addict

turboludespeed is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to turboludespeed
Why even bother looking on ebay for a chip??? Half the time you will get a box on your door step that says: Mugen or Jun or Spoon, open it and there sits a little resistor and a piece of paper showing you where to plug it in at.

turboludespeed is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-27-2007, 06:20 PM   #16
championshipwhite93si
Lude Boss

championshipwhite93si is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kabuki View Post
No. You CAN tune them, there just is no tuning software support for the FUEL tables. You have to edit those manually with a hex editor. But Crome still works nicely for editing timing and features.
you have climbed into the ring with two of pp.com's most notable tuning gear heads.. you might wanna give up. just because you can chip a p13 doesnt mean shit, like blake said, unless you are into burning a new chip everytime you change something, have at it.

Last edited by championshipwhite93si; 07-27-2007 at 07:45 PM.
championshipwhite93si is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-27-2007, 06:22 PM   #17
98vtec
bangin' gears

Prelude of the Month
Quote:
Originally Posted by championshipwhite93si View Post
you have climbed into the ring with two of pp.com's most notable tuning gear heads.. you might wanna give up before you completely make an ass of yourself. just because you can chip a p13 doesnt mean shit, like blake said, unless you are into burning a new chip everytime you change something, have at it.
he has actually made very valid points.

instagram - @850fab
Old 07-27-2007, 07:23 PM   #18
championshipwhite93si
Lude Boss

true, however, i just think its useless to go through all the trouble to do that on a p13 when its 10 times easier, not to mention, cheaper on the p28/p72 route. myself personally.. ill stick to tried and true.. s300 ftw.

Old 07-30-2007, 01:15 PM   #19
Kabuki
True Luder

Quote:
Originally Posted by championshipwhite93si View Post
you have climbed into the ring with two of pp.com's most notable tuning gear heads.. you might wanna give up.
I'm a mod on PGMFI.org... And I run a Honda/Acura specialized shop during the day. Pretty sure I can hold my own.

Quote:
just because you can chip a p13 doesnt mean shit, like blake said, unless you are into burning a new chip every time you change something, have at it.
Sorry, I'm just not in to buying Hondata's proprietary crap. I never said tuning with a P13 was the easiest solution. It's certainly not. But honestly, you lose so much functionality adapting a P28 to do the same job... It just doesn't seem right to me.
Old 07-30-2007, 01:20 PM   #20
98vtec
bangin' gears

Prelude of the Month
i know who you are, lol.

instagram - @850fab
Old 07-30-2007, 02:12 PM   #21
motoxxxman
Banned

haha i know who you are now too lol. he can hold his own here lol
Old 07-30-2007, 02:33 PM   #22
Blue01
Prelude Aficionado

Blue01 is a jewel in the roughBlue01 is a jewel in the roughBlue01 is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
haha i know who you are now too lol. he can hold his own here lol
That seems like an understatement.
Old 07-31-2007, 08:27 AM   #23
Xander_Lounsbury
Lude Addict

Xander_Lounsbury is on a distinguished road

Steve don't tell me you forgot about my spoon ecu. This is a P13 ecu made by spoon. Its not ebay, it's authentic spoon. Confirmed by Steve and Opak racing. It puts a rev limit at 7800 and vtec hits around 4700. It runs it a little leaner from what I can tell from the spark plugs. I got mine with my motor that I bought from Hmotorsonline, they were only offered in Japan.

BMW Z3 1.9: Rainy day/weekend car

Suzuki Katana 600: Blew transmission, sold

2002 Yamaha FZ1: Hitting 7 flats in the 1/8th at 100+mph

18 Years Young and Not Mommy Funded
Xander_Lounsbury is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-31-2007, 08:46 AM   #24
championshipwhite93si
Lude Boss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xander_Lounsbury View Post

Steve don't tell me you forgot about my spoon ecu. This is a P13 ecu made by spoon. Its not ebay, it's authentic spoon. Confirmed by Steve and Opak racing. It puts a rev limit at 7800 and vtec hits around 4700. It runs it a little leaner from what I can tell from the spark plugs. I got mine with my motor that I bought from Hmotorsonline, they were only offered in Japan.

see now why didnt i get that with my swap lol

Old 07-31-2007, 10:35 AM   #25
motoxxxman
Banned

i havent forgotten about your ecu xander. the problem with it is that you cant tune it. it is what it is and thats pretty much it lol. and the fact that if you dont buy the genuine ecu from somewhere reputable, you'll probably end up getting something fake like the crap that is all over ebay. even a lot of the sellers on ebay claim that they are selling genuine spoon chips and such, but they arent. they are fake. lol
Sponsored Links
Advertisement