Guide to Locating EGR, IAC, PCV Valves - Honda Prelude Forum : Honda Prelude Forums
Home Forums Albums Garage iTrader Arcade
Register FAQ Insurance Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow Advertise

PreludePower.com is the premier Honda Prelude Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 02-28-2007, 01:00 PM   #1
KManZ

KManZ will become famous soon enough
Picture Guide to Locating EGR, IAC, PCV Valves

Here is a small contribution to the site, in thanks, for all of the help and information I have gleaned these past few weeks. I am currently in the middle of my Spring Maintenance, and since this is my first time locating and cleaning these various valves and ports, I thought it would be helpful to others who are undertaking these endeavours

My gas mileage over the past 2 or 3 months has been abysmal. After a week of intense research here on PreludePower and other sources, I created a list of maintenance required to hopefully help my ailing mileage and increasingly large gas bill! In addition, I took a hint from the black soot on my bumper as a sign of running rich (thanks to those who provided me this guidance), so to remedy, I am going to be replacing my O2 sensor this weekend, and subsequently my spark plugs/ wires/ dist. cap/ rotor. After that, an oil change and valve adjustment will round out my agenda! I will take pictures throughout if I come up against something I am uncertain of, so as to help out future generations of 5th Gen Prelude owners!

So why clean these ports and valves? After time, carbon buildup can choke off these parts (mainly the EGR and IACV), leaching your engine's performance and gas mileage. The PCV Valve is a wearable item and should be regularly replaced. After taking my EGR Valve off, I found this:

Using some Seafoam and an old toothbrush, I worked this thing until it was once again clean (a bronze-ish color). The IAC Valve was not nearly as bad, but still required a few baths of Seafoam. Sorry, no pics of the IACV

So far, with the simple cleaning of these parts, it seems my mileage has increased. Last week I filled up on Monday and then again on Friday. This week, after driving roughly the same amount of miles, I am just under a half a tank of gas! In addition to these parts, I also have cleaned the intake filter, and added STP Injector cleaner to my gas tank. I have a noticeably smoother idle and better acceleration in addition to the better mileage. I just washed my car today as well, so will be keeping an eye on the soot levels.. I expect this problem to be lessened after the O2 sensor replacement this weekend.

So without further a-do, here are a few pictures of the EGR, IAC, and PCV Valves.

EGR

IAC Valve

PCV Valve

Last edited by KManZ; 02-28-2007 at 01:23 PM.
KManZ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-28-2007, 01:03 PM   #2
B_lude98
Ludacious

B_lude98 is on a distinguished road
cool man good pics and very informative, but what does cleaning these do?
Old 02-28-2007, 01:04 PM   #3
KManZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by B_lude98 View Post
cool man good pics and very informative, but what does cleaning these do?
I am glad you asked that question Editing original post!
Old 02-28-2007, 01:27 PM   #4
Jebbas
Lude Dude

Jebbas is on a distinguished road
great post man!! I love these walkthroughs. I'm a enthusiast but a beginner when it comes to engines and this is really helpful.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Jebbas is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-28-2007, 01:30 PM   #5
Cruiserdude
Type-Esss

Cruiserdude is a jewel in the roughCruiserdude is a jewel in the roughCruiserdude is a jewel in the rough
Send a message via AIM to Cruiserdude

Nice write-up, looks to be coming along nicely! Build-up of various types kills the performance and mileage of these engines, and its really good to clean everything out. Cleaned my EGR ports a few months ago, and it made a huge difference. Just changed the PCV and made a catch can, and I changed the 02 sensor, plugs, and wires awhile back. I'm gonna have to clean the IACV and check the EGR valve again, and run some Seafoam through my engine and see how much difference that makes.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-Andrew-

'01 Premium White Pearl Type SH-ATTS Baby!!!

Click
to join the official Prelude Power Facebook group, we don't bite!
Cruiserdude is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-28-2007, 02:30 PM   #6
camel_89si
Elite Member

camel_89si is on a distinguished road

hmmm, i may look into cleaning mine then. my cel is on because "egr flow is restricted", so i need to get this taken care of... i wonder if cleaning it would be a good alternative to buying a new one, because it's like $100 something bucks at the dealership

- 1998 Prelude SH
- 1989 Prelude Si stolen r.i.p.

- WTB - JDM Type S Front Lip -
camel_89si is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-01-2007, 02:34 PM   #7
Daniel M
True Luder

Daniel M is on a distinguished road
I haven't tried it, but beware when running seaform. I think I remember seeing posts on it's affects on maps...

nice write up either way
Daniel M is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-01-2007, 02:45 PM   #8
Cruiserdude
Type-Esss

Cruiserdude is a jewel in the roughCruiserdude is a jewel in the roughCruiserdude is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel M View Post
I haven't tried it, but beware when running seaform. I think I remember seeing posts on it's affects on maps...
Yeah, which is why you need to remove the parts to clean them, let them dry, then reinstall. And when you're running it through your engine you need to use the pcv line, which is after the MAP sensor.

-Andrew-

Click
Old 03-01-2007, 02:57 PM   #9
XtremeAce0
Lude Addict

XtremeAce0 is on a distinguished road
thanks man, ive been lookin for some good diagrams of the egr valve for a long time and these are detailed enough, i can actually tell where everything is in relation to the rest of the engine, thanks man.

+1
XtremeAce0 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-01-2007, 03:06 PM   #10
KManZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by XtremeAce0 View Post
thanks man, ive been lookin for some good diagrams of the egr valve for a long time and these are detailed enough, i can actually tell where everything is in relation to the rest of the engine, thanks man.

+1
I am glad I could help someone out

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel M View Post

nice write up either way
Yeah, I am leery about using Seafoam too.. in this case I just used it to clean the valves and ports, as it is supposed to be less harsh than carb cleaner.
Old 03-01-2007, 03:12 PM   #11
XtremeAce0
Lude Addict

XtremeAce0 is on a distinguished road
what size socket should i use on the egr bolts?
XtremeAce0 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-01-2007, 03:24 PM   #12
KManZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by XtremeAce0 View Post
what size socket should i use on the egr bolts?
If memory serves, its just a standard 12mm socket with extension. To remove the bolts, I first put the socket onto the extension, fitted it to the bolt, and then attached the wrench to the extension. Its a tight fit, and I couldn't get the entire wrench/extension/socket in there correctly.
Old 03-01-2007, 03:48 PM   #13
Cruiserdude
Type-Esss

Ya, and it may help to remove the coilpack.

-Andrew-

Click
Old 03-05-2007, 08:37 PM   #14
Silvia
Oh Gee

Silvia is on a distinguished road

im glad u posted this, thanks
Silvia is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-05-2007, 08:59 PM   #15
Ark86
Getting Comfortable

Ark86 is on a distinguished road
I have been looking for a write-up like this. Cleaning all of these is on my spring maintenance list as well, and you just made it a whole lot easier!

2001 Nighthawk Black Prelude SH
Ark86 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-06-2007, 10:31 AM   #16
01_Lude_Dude
True Luder

01_Lude_Dude is on a distinguished road
Sweet. Nice write-up. I will be doing this soon to my car as well. I can't wait to replace the o2 sensor and see how that affects the soot build-up on my bumper.
01_Lude_Dude is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-06-2007, 11:24 AM   #17
prelude4m
True Luder

prelude4m has disabled reputation
Doing this in the next few days, much appreciated!
Old 03-06-2007, 11:45 AM   #18
WhiteNoiz

WhiteNoiz is on a distinguished road
Does anyone know when this stuff should be done? (mileage) I just dont want to wait until my mileage goes down or performance suffers before I do it.
WhiteNoiz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-06-2007, 12:28 PM   #19
SiRLude
Lude Addict

SiRLude is on a distinguished road
thank you. I should have a look at them this week, i have 55,000 miles i just think i might check them out in case. Where can i get this Seafoam?

, n.
Something introductory or that shows what is to follow;
Something preceding which bears some relation or resemblance to that which is to follow

SiRLude is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-06-2007, 02:10 PM   #20
KManZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by SiRLude View Post
thank you. I should have a look at them this week, i have 55,000 miles i just think i might check them out in case. Where can i get this Seafoam?
You are welcome And, you can get Seafoam at Advanced Auto for sure (thats where I got mine), but probably any auto store has it.
Old 03-06-2007, 02:14 PM   #21
Cruiserdude
Type-Esss

The 02 sensor is gonna do alot more for your gas mileage than soot on the bumper. The best thing for that is a catch can, which I may be doing a writeup on how to make soon, or you can spend $110 for a Greddy...

-Andrew-

Click
Old 03-06-2007, 02:42 PM   #22
KManZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruiserdude View Post
The 02 sensor is gonna do alot more for your gas mileage than soot on the bumper. The best thing for that is a catch can, which I may be doing a writeup on how to make soon, or you can spend $110 for a Greddy...
This would be of great interest to me
Old 03-06-2007, 05:52 PM   #23
Hprelude5R
2ludes 1s2000

Hprelude5R will become famous soon enoughHprelude5R will become famous soon enough

Added to resource thread, good job.

Best Auto Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote
Hprelude5R is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-06-2007, 10:15 PM   #24
SiRLude
Lude Addict

SiRLude is on a distinguished road
About this oil catch can, can you have one on a stock lude?
I found this on ebay for the PCV Valve to collect oil.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Oil-S...QQcmdZViewItem

, n.
Something introductory or that shows what is to follow;
Something preceding which bears some relation or resemblance to that which is to follow

SiRLude is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-07-2007, 08:14 AM   #25
Chingwah

Chingwah is on a distinguished road
Any pictures of the VTEC solonoid ? If ur going to clean up all those valves might as well do the vtec solonoid while your at it. =)

Last edited by Chingwah; 03-07-2007 at 09:31 PM.
Chingwah is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement