Axle Removal **write-up** - Honda Prelude Forum : Honda Prelude Forums
Home Forums Albums Garage iTrader Arcade
Register FAQ Insurance Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow Advertise

PreludePower.com is the premier Honda Prelude Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 11-13-2006, 03:20 PM   #1
1funryd
Elite Member

1funryd is a jewel in the rough1funryd is a jewel in the rough1funryd is a jewel in the rough1funryd is a jewel in the rough
Send a message via AIM to 1funryd Send a message via MSN to 1funryd Send a message via Yahoo to 1funryd

Axle Removal **write-up**Updated 1-27-07

Update to the thread is a video for a Honda Accord that is the same procedure as our ludes, the differences will the way the tie rod is sitting but everything this guy does is the correct way to replace an Axle in our cars and most other cars as well.

Replacing an Axle in a Honda: http://yootuubee.com/video/WSdSmH2xa...)-honda-accord

Here is another write-up organized by me through the help of other Luders experience. These pictures are for illustration only and are not an actual Lude, but still the same procedure.

I will update pictures and pertant information as I come across it.

And since this is related to "Lower Ball Joint Removal" here is the link to that thread:
Front Lower Control Arm Ball Joint *Write-Up*

I would also like to add this link for those who want to rebuild their - CV Joints -

Half Shaft - CV Joint Repack and Boot Replace

This write up is very informative and helpful to the do it yourselfer's out there.

**Write-Up**

1 Remove tire(s) - Lug wrench
2 Remove axle nut (have fun! easier with tire on ground and center cap removed for axle socket to fit through) 36MM for 90-91 or 32MM for 88-89

Make sure to take a chizzle or flat head screwdriver to bend out that little notch that is indented toward the groove on the axle. You will see what I mean when you take off your wheel cap.

(please note that depending on when and who changed out the axle last, the axle nut might differ in size - 32-36, so please check this before doing anything as to not waste time.)

You will need these tools, but an impact gun is always the easiest way to go.

3 after jacking car back up, remove lower control arm balljoint nut - 17mm?
4 use tie rod end puller to undo lower ball joint (careful of threads!)

(This is also a ball joint puller, it is safer so as not to damage the ball joints, but if you are replacing the whole ball joint as well, you can use a pickle fork as well. Please remember this for illustration and is to show you how to use this tool, this is not the actual ball joint you are going to remove at this time, unless you decide to do it at the same time since you will have everything off.)

Pickle Fork Method, this is the acutual ball joint that will be removed while removing the axle.

5 undo bottom of shock from lower control arm - 17 mm...2 two of them since the bolt will spin - remove that bolt

6 separate the knuckle and slide it out the way while the axle slides out of it then pry the tranny side with a large flathead or prybar.
Please note, that you might have to take a solid peice of metal like the back end of a chizzle, and use it to pound out the axle if it does not come out easy.
When you start pushing it out it will look like the picture below, you will need to push it out, you might need a pry bar to help relieve tension on the supension to get out, but it will come out, so just keep working at it.

Do not over pound it if it is not moving as you will start to damage that end of the axle.

I hope this helps out everyone!

Sean

Sean

3rd Gen Aftermarket Manager

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(Clik Here)
Email:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

(1Funryd - H22 Swap) - Ludcifer - INX - MustardCat(B20a)

Last edited by 1funryd; 03-16-2013 at 02:08 PM.
1funryd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-17-2006, 07:26 AM   #2
Chief Mac
Getting Comfortable

Chief Mac is on a distinguished road
1funryd,

Hafa Adai’ Bro, great write-up on the axle shaft(s) R&R. Autozone is a prime source for renting tools that makes this job easier, too. Just be aware that the use of a pickle fork sometimes damages tie rod and ball joint grease boot(s) beyond usefulness. So if anyone is expecting to reuse the grease boot(s) for either tie rod or ball joint, do not damage the grease boot(s). Grease is the lubrication that makes our components survive as long as they do. The tool rental is not expensive and you get some money back when you return the tool undamaged, at least this has been Autozone’s policy from since forever.
Great Job on this write-up, Bro. The community needs this kind of procedural knowledge shared and often. The inclusion of pictures really helps your discussion points. I am glad to assist if called on.

Chief Mac
Chief Mac is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-17-2006, 10:09 AM   #3
gatkins94
Elite Member

gatkins94 is on a distinguished road

I love to see this type of help!

Thanks for taking that time!
gatkins94 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-17-2006, 05:41 PM   #4
mtllude
Lude Dude

mtllude is on a distinguished road
i know i'll prolly get flammed for this... but if you whack the lower control arm on the side, right next to where the ball joint goes in, as long as the nut and cotter pin is out, the ball joint will pop out... don't destroy the control arm, but if you have no puller or pickle fork... it works well, and is much faster...
mtllude is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-17-2006, 05:54 PM   #5
dano
Prelude Aficionado

dano has disabled reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtllude View Post
i know i'll prolly get flammed for this... but if you whack the lower control arm on the side, right next to where the ball joint goes in, as long as the nut and cotter pin is out, the ball joint will pop out... don't destroy the control arm, but if you have no puller or pickle fork... it works well, and is much faster...
Nope..that is the classic way to get a "tapered pin" joint apart. The problem is that you really need to whack the joint at more than one spot, and that can be a problem.

I must add this... When you reattach the strut fork to the lower control arm don't tighten the long bolt (grease that puppy) and nut all the way until the weight of the car moves the arm to normal ride height. In other words put a jack under the outer ball joint and jack it up till the car begins to move or run the car up onto ramps. If you tighten this bolt with the suspension hanging, you will preload the rubber bushing which is ungood. Ditto for the inside lower control arm bushing..but I'm not sure why that was removed for this job.

Last edited by dano; 11-17-2006 at 06:15 PM.
dano is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-17-2006, 06:38 PM   #6
Import_Tuna
Rep me if you hate my ass

Import_Tuna will become famous soon enoughImport_Tuna will become famous soon enough
Send a message via MSN to Import_Tuna

Dano is correct. You always must torque suspension fasteners with the wheels on and with the car resting on the floor. Of course, doing it this way is often a real pain in the ass, so you can simulate the car being in a relaxed position by jacking up underneath the lower ball joint just as Dano described. Much easier.

I have to draw attention to this picture. In school last year, we learned that you're really not supposed to let the axle hang all willy nilly. Of course, if you're replacing it, it doesn't matter, but normally, if you're reusing the axle, you should support the outboard end of it with mechanic's wire or with a rope or something. Otherwise, I would think that allowing the axle to hang in such an extreme position might put unnecessary stress on the inboard joint, and in the big picture, this could shorten its life.

--J

Quote:
Danny's birthday wishes are worth less than the feces and breadcrumb pie Tuna baked last night.
Quote:
this entire thread is now considered a bunch of overreacting, false assumptions, misunderstandings, miscommunication, lack of communication, and opinions based on hatred that was based on all of these previous things.
Import_Tuna is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-17-2006, 10:27 PM   #7
montx
Lude Addict

montx is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to montx
Really great write-up. Thanks for the hard work! I'm currently STUCK at the damper fork bolt. T hat bitch is a BITCh to get out lol

montx is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-29-2006, 06:40 PM   #8
1funryd
Elite Member

1funryd is a jewel in the rough1funryd is a jewel in the rough1funryd is a jewel in the rough1funryd is a jewel in the rough
Send a message via AIM to 1funryd Send a message via MSN to 1funryd Send a message via Yahoo to 1funryd

Bump for those looking!!

Sean

(Clik Here)
Email:

Old 11-29-2006, 07:51 PM   #9
Hprelude5R
2ludes 1s2000

Hprelude5R will become famous soon enoughHprelude5R will become famous soon enough

Has this not been added to the FAQ?

Don't look at me, just asking.

Best Auto Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote
Hprelude5R is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-29-2006, 08:24 PM   #10
scPrelude
Lude Cray

scPrelude is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to scPrelude Send a message via Yahoo to scPrelude
(((THUMBS UP)))..once agian great work! ((pats you on the back))
Operation Iraqi Freedom/Operation New Dawn 2010-2011

**DONATE TO PRELUDEBIBLE.COM To donate through Paypal, the Paypal ID is: ***

What is life without honor? Degradation is worse than death.
TO HELL W/ WINDOWS.. I RUN LINUX
scPrelude is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-30-2006, 05:25 AM   #11
Ben1818
True Luder

Ben1818 is on a distinguished road
now how about rebuilding them getting them out is the easy part
Ben1818 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-30-2006, 07:35 AM   #12
dano
Prelude Aficionado

dano has disabled reputation
Rebuilding is pretty much limited to re-packing with grease and putting on new boots. Pretty simple. Unless your axel had a torn boot and you caught it right away, you are probably better off with a rebuilt axel for some place like PEP BOYS.

dano is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-30-2006, 10:22 AM   #13
88SE Lude
Prelude Aficionado

88SE Lude has much to be proud of88SE Lude has much to be proud of88SE Lude has much to be proud of88SE Lude has much to be proud of88SE Lude has much to be proud of88SE Lude has much to be proud of88SE Lude has much to be proud of88SE Lude has much to be proud of
Why go to the trouble and extra time of removing the lower arm?
It's not needed and I never do that unless I'm removing it anyway.
you can leave the lower arm in place and just remove the damper fork from the arm and damper.

"You are not entitled to an opinion. An opinion is what you have when you don't have any facts. When you have the facts, you don't need an opinion"

MustardCat - "You have free access to people with decades worth of experience here. Being asked to format your posts in a readable manner is very reasonable. Call your local Honda dealer and see how much they want per hour to have a master tech diagnose your problem..."
88SE Lude is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-27-2007, 02:01 PM   #14
1funryd
Elite Member

Exclamation Update on the front page!

Check the front page for an updated pic of the axle

Sean

Sean

(Clik Here)
Email:

Old 01-27-2007, 03:37 PM   #15
Bobnova
New title is new

Bobnova has a spectacular aura aboutBobnova has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via AIM to Bobnova

Don't remove the lower control arm bushing, only the ball joint.
Don't remove the tie rod end, either.

Only the balljoint at the end of the lower control arm, and the shock mount.

You can then lift the hub up out of the lower control arm (once it's broken free) and push it to the side once you have the axle out.

No need to remove the upper end of the shock mount, either.

Bobnova is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-17-2009, 10:14 AM   #16
Shadly
Lude Cray

Shadly is on a distinguished road
Trying to get that fork bolt out. It's really pissing me off. I broke two screwdriver tips off in trying to bend the notch out, so they're stuck in there. Also, I was going to track down an impact wrench to have at it. I tried a 32 mm socket, and it looks like it is just chipping the bolt. Is there anyway that it could be smaller than this or is that out of the question? Does anyone have any other suggestions for me?
Shadly is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-17-2009, 11:55 AM   #17
3rdgenpartfinder
Banned

3rdgenpartfinder has a little shameless behaviour in the past
u must have alot of rust
3rdgenpartfinder is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-17-2009, 12:00 PM   #18
Shadly
Lude Cray

If you had to cut it, is the bolt you would be screwing up in the process be from the axle, or is it something connected to the HUB? In other words, what does that nut connect to: the axle I am replacing, or something I need to be functional afterwards?
Old 05-17-2009, 12:59 PM   #19
Shadly
Lude Cray

Took my Dremmel to it with a cut off tool.

That's right you son of a bitch, get the fuck off my car.
Old 05-17-2009, 02:23 PM   #20
thisbejeffe
Lude Addict

thisbejeffe is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to thisbejeffe
I still need to buy a dremmel! I hear they are one of the best tools you can own.
Old 05-17-2009, 02:50 PM   #21
Shadly
Lude Cray

How do you get the axle back into the tranny? That metal ring on the axle on that side seems to be preventing it. What is the purpose of this ring besides keeping you from fixing your car?
Old 05-17-2009, 04:15 PM   #22
1funryd
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadly View Post
How do you get the axle back into the tranny? That metal ring on the axle on that side seems to be preventing it. What is the purpose of this ring besides keeping you from fixing your car?
Use a rubber malet and bang the axle into the tranny from the outer spline, not too hard though, just enough force to pop it back in.

Sean

(Clik Here)
Email:

Old 05-17-2009, 04:50 PM   #23
Shadly
Lude Cray

I got Humpty Dumpty back together again. The braintrusts that work at my local Autozone sold me the wrong axle. That's why it didn't just "snap" into place.
Old 08-27-2010, 02:35 PM   #24
luda lover

luda lover is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadly View Post
I got Humpty Dumpty back together again. The braintrusts that work at my local Autozone sold me the wrong axle. That's why it didn't just "snap" into place.
half of those guys dont even know what kind of oil to put in a manual transmission.
luda lover is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-19-2010, 12:20 PM   #25
3gPreludetuner24
Lude Boss

3gPreludetuner24 is on a distinguished road

Prelude of the Month
Quote:
Originally Posted by luda lover View Post
half of those guys dont even know what kind of oil to put in a manual transmission.
Lol.....yup....I remember one of those morons told me it was ok to used Automatic Transmission fluid in my MT. LMAO! What an idiot. Hahahahahah..He was dead serious too. I told him that was not true and that it would cause serious problems to a MT. Fuken Vatozone!!!!!!!!!!
3gPreludetuner24 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement