Timing Belt Installation - Honda Prelude Forum : Honda Prelude Forums
Home Forums Albums Garage iTrader Arcade
Register FAQ Insurance Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow Advertise

PreludePower.com is the premier Honda Prelude Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 07-28-2006, 11:47 PM   #1
diamondsleeper
Lude Cray

diamondsleeper will become famous soon enough
Timing Belt Installation

Before taking anything apart, set the #1 Cylinder at Top Dead Center (TDC) - #1 Piston at the tip of its stroke with distributor rotor pointing to #1 wire. Arrows on cams should be pointing straight up. The little white cross tick mark shown on the flywheel is top dead center. This pic is shown for reference only for where to look. The pic shows it slightly off of top dead center (TDC).

Note: Take out the spark plugs to make the crankshaft easier to turn through.

This is not absolutely necessary but before I removed the old belt, I marked it to the cam gears and to the crank gear. I then set it aside to use as a reference tool in case I needed it at re-assembly. I did this just so I could be absolutely sure I got the new belt back on correctly. What you see below is the new belt lined up and marked to match the marks on the old belt. If you prefer not to or can't use the old belt as a reference like this (because the old belt is broken) the following pics should help give a clear visual.

First you will need a couple of rig pins to lock the cams into position. The instructions are in the service manual. I found that two #9 drill bits worked best for me. I wanted a good fit without any play because it doesn't take much movement to be off a tooth. The #9s fit just about perfectly.

So here is what it looked like with the rigging set up. Wait..This doesn't quite look right to me. There is slack in the belt between the cam gears. I thought this couldn't be right. The first time I installed one, I thought there shouldn't be this slack. I thought I'd take that slack out of the belt and go to the next tooth. I was WRONG. If you are off a tooth the engine will run but it will not be right. You will lose efficiency. Power and gas mileage will be affected and its probably not good for the engine in general. What I failed to realize was, this was correct and was just the rigging phase. I hadn't actually adjusted the tension on the belt yet. Long story short, that slack will take care of itself when all is said and done.

You can see below that you cannot actually move it to the next tooth with the rigging pins installed. You would have to either move the crank or move one of the cams.

Below is a wide angle view with the rigging pins in and the #1 cyl at TDC. White tensioner bolt is loose. You may notice the black plastic back plate for the timing belt cover has not been installed yet. Be sure to put that on before you install the belt the final time.

Thats basically it. All that's left to do is adjust the tension on the belt. Since I now have a better understanding and have a good visual reference (Slack) of what it looks like before the tension is set I won't need to use the old belt with marks on it next time.

To set the tension follow the instructions in the manual. Take out the rig pins. Loosen then tighten tensioner bolt, then move crank a few teeth Counter clockwise, loosen and re-tighten the tensioner bolt again. Caution: (If you turn the crank Clockwise before you have the tension set, the belt can jump a tooth or several teeth on the crank gear). Keep an eye on that.

Correction

This pic shows the belt with the tension set.

Intake side with tension set.

Exhaust side with tension set

Here is the Pic that shows the marks on the cam sprockets that need to be aligned with the top of the head while the crank is at TDC.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by diamondsleeper; 04-24-2016 at 09:46 PM.
diamondsleeper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-29-2006, 12:02 AM   #2
motoxxxman
Banned

motoxxxman is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to motoxxxman Send a message via Yahoo to motoxxxman
nice writeup with pics for all the nubs out there that constantly ask how to get the cams to stay in place. i swear, so few people know about the eyelets in the cam caps that allow the use of some form of pin to lock them at perfect tdc.
motoxxxman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-29-2006, 12:20 AM   #3
xNicoyAx
Ludacious

xNicoyAx is on a distinguished road
Sweet write-up! It even has pictures! Everyone loves those! I hear you can also lock the cams by using an Allen wrench? Someone correct me if I'm wrong?
xNicoyAx is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-29-2006, 12:26 AM   #4
motoxxxman
Banned

yup, basically anything that fits snugly into the holes in the cams will work. allen wrench, #1 philips screwdrivers, drill bits, metal pens, anything strong that is the right size
Old 07-29-2006, 12:31 AM   #5
xNicoyAx
Ludacious

xNicoyAx is on a distinguished road
Sweet! I was right! +1 for me!
xNicoyAx is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-29-2006, 02:19 AM   #6
sappysport2155
Banned

sappysport2155 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to sappysport2155
good write up.......dats what i did when my engine was out and i installed new t belt.....using hodan dealer bealt..

i allways like to make my t belt just a lil tighter on da tensoiner..

i like to make it not too tite and not too loose..but tight enough so belt can get broken in and let it get slacks on its own...

been doing it like dat for 10 years now with no problems...
sappysport2155 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-29-2006, 06:25 AM   #7
dano
Prelude Aficionado

dano has disabled reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by xNicoyAx
Sweet write-up! It even has pictures! Everyone loves those! I hear you can also lock the cams by using an Allen wrench? Someone correct me if I'm wrong?
Yeah...a 5mm allen wrench will be perfect if you file the edges down a little bit.

To be a bit more specific on turning the crank counter-clockwise a small amount ( equal to turning the cam sprockets 2-3 teeth) before finally tightening the tensioner bolt. What this does is, move the slack from the FRONT SIDE of the belt run, to the BACK SIDE where the tensioner spring will eleminate it. Very important.

With all the pics of the backside of the camshaft sprockets, it's a shame that none show the little lines that should point at each other when everything is rigged up.

Excellent write up and pics. Should be a great help. Like a Haynes manual but in color.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
dano is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-29-2006, 09:07 AM   #8
diamondsleeper
Lude Cray

Quote:
Originally Posted by dano
With all the pics of the backside of the camshaft sprockets, it's a shame that none show the little lines that should point at each other when everything is rigged up.

Excellent write up and pics. Should be a great help. Like a Haynes manual but in color.
That is something I'm not familiar with. What little lines are those? Where are they located etc. Please post a pic if you can. The more information the better. Thanks

Old 07-29-2006, 09:29 AM   #9
LudaPower

LudaPower is a jewel in the roughLudaPower is a jewel in the roughLudaPower is a jewel in the rough

I think he means the mark on the flywheel with the pointer.. umm well dano you lost me actually.
LudaPower is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-29-2006, 10:29 AM   #10
dano
Prelude Aficionado

No, not on the flywheel. There are small indented lines on the outer edge of the camshaft sprockets. When everything is set up correctly the lines will both be facing each other and about level with the top of the head casting.

These are on the side of the camshaft sprockets facing the head.

It's in the Helm's manual if you want verification.

Old 07-29-2006, 10:34 AM   #11
boblasek
Herp Derp Lerp

boblasek is on a distinguished road

Holy crap, now if i only had that when i was putting my belt on i would have saved myself a trip to my mechanic. Definately a good writeup. +1 rep point.
-89 Red Prelude Si (Sold)
-90 White Prelude Si (Sold)
-90 Black Prelude Si 4WS (Current)
boblasek is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-29-2006, 01:12 PM   #12
OMega
I am Prelude

OMega has disabled reputation
Yeah, I don't like changing the timing belt that way any more. That method works best when you have the motor out. Otherwise it can be a pain in the ass. After a lot trail and error, I happend appon a method that works for me.
Now I can put the belt on in about 10min. I did it last week and suprised myself.
OMega is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-29-2006, 01:35 PM   #13
motoxxxman
Banned

Quote:
No, not on the flywheel. There are small indented lines on the outer edge of the camshaft sprockets. When everything is set up correctly the lines will both be facing each other and about level with the top of the head casting.

These are on the side of the camshaft sprockets facing the head.

It's in the Helm's manual if you want verification.
correction. on every set of cam sprockets i've seen from a 3g lude, both sides of the sprockets have the scribe marks, side facing the head, and side facing away from the head
Old 07-29-2006, 04:18 PM   #14
diamondsleeper
Lude Cray

Thanks for the added info.

Quote:
Originally poste by dano
Thats a good thing to know. I obviously missed that. I can clearly see the scribe mark on the intake cam sprocket in the 8th picture. If only I would have known that the first time I did one. I may not have made my mistake. Thanks for pointing this out dano. Every little bit helps. I will post a pic when I get one.

Here is the Pic that shows the marks on the cam sprockets that need to be aligned while the crank is at TDC.

Last edited by diamondsleeper; 08-04-2006 at 04:43 AM.
Old 07-30-2006, 05:40 AM   #15
diamondsleeper
Lude Cray

Quote:
Originally posted my OMega
Now I can put the belt on in about 10min. I did it last week and suprised myself.
Please tell me you mean after you have already removed everything. Covers etc.

Last edited by diamondsleeper; 07-30-2006 at 05:45 AM.
Old 07-30-2006, 05:57 AM   #16
dano
Prelude Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by OMega
Yeah, I don't like changing the timing belt that way any more. That method works best when you have the motor out. Otherwise it can be a pain in the ass. After a lot trail and error, I happend appon a method that works for me.
Ha...that's nothing. I can change my timing belt in 5 min and the only tool I need is my swiss army knife.

Old 07-30-2006, 06:14 AM   #17
tsiah
no mo mod

tsiah has a spectacular aura abouttsiah has a spectacular aura about

I've always made the belt between the 2 gears tight before loosening the tensioner bolt...
maybe thats what often takes me so long...but I found that if I leave any slack there, I'd end up a tooth off on one cam or the other.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OMega
share?

Quote:
Ha...that's nothing. I can change my timing belt in 5 min and the only tool I need is my swiss army knife.
liar!

I can do mine in 4 minutes with nothing but my car key

Happy Owners Never Drive Anything else
Quote:
Ask for a new stranger? Tell them your's is defective, it's stuck in the on position.

Last edited by tsiah; 07-30-2006 at 06:17 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
tsiah is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-30-2006, 06:24 AM   #18
diamondsleeper
Lude Cray

Once I just changed it with my mind. It only took 3 seconds.

Old 07-30-2006, 10:35 AM   #19
secluded luder
Banned

secluded luder will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to secluded luder Send a message via Yahoo to secluded luder

i have an everlasting timing belt that never needs changing
secluded luder is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-30-2006, 10:58 AM   #20
diamondsleeper
Lude Cray

Awww hell man.. This one time.. shit.. It was running... valve cover off.... I got pissed ... threw the new sun bitch belt at the motor. That sun bitch slurped that thing up like a piece of spahetti..shit yea... spit the old one back out.. landed right at my feet. Aww hell man.. shit yea.

Old 07-30-2006, 02:16 PM   #21
motoxxxman
Banned

my car doesnt have a timing belt that could ever need changing. i adapted computer controlled electro-magnets to my valves to open and close them, and a mousewheel to turn the distributor and cam sensor

PWNED!!
Old 07-30-2006, 02:37 PM   #22
diamondsleeper
Lude Cray

Awesome Dude!

Old 07-30-2006, 02:48 PM   #23
OMega
I am Prelude

Quote:
Originally Posted by motoxxxman
my car doesnt have a timing belt that could ever need changing. i adapted computer controlled electro-magnets to my valves to open and close them, and a mousewheel to turn the distributor and cam sensor

PWNED!!
I've been toying with that idea for quit a while. That would remove a lot of valve trane mass. The only problem is heat and magnets don't mix well. I wasn't going to use a mouse for the dizzy. I was thinking of using the 7th gen civics coil system and use the no.1 postion sensor for a trigger.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsiah
I've always made the belt between the 2 gears tight before loosening the tensioner bolt...
maybe thats what often takes me so long...but I found that if I leave any slack there, I'd end up a tooth off on one cam or the other.

share?
I'll try to explain but rember its a practice makes perfect thing. Assuming everything is lined up. Move the ex cam into postion slide the belt over the ex cam. The intake cam should be a tooth off to the left. If you slide the belt on right the cam shold fall into postion. But wait the mark just moved and everything out of wack, right? Take a long straight slot screw driver move the flywheel up by wedging screw into the flywheel teeth driver until you see the mark via the timing hole. You should be able tighten tesisoner like the manuels states.
Old 07-30-2006, 04:46 PM   #24
tsiah
no mo mod

tsiah has a spectacular aura abouttsiah has a spectacular aura about

there are companies working with electronic valve lifters and others trying to make "rotary" valves so they can eliminate camshafts and drive belts.
with a system like this, the timing, lift and duration would be nearly infinitely variable and it would be variable on each individual cylinder and valve (you could do what honda does and create a swirl effect)

omega, I too want to switch to a coil on plug ignition shoot me a PM if you've come up with any way to do it that doesnt cost and arm and a leg
I know with the links ECU and some ingenuity, one could make it work...but I dont have that kind of money...I dont think the stock ECU (or even something like hondata)can run the drivers for 4 coils either (there might be a way to trick it to fire the same coil driver 4 times per revolution?...but timing would still be an issue)

Happy Owners Never Drive Anything else
Quote:
Ask for a new stranger? Tell them your's is defective, it's stuck in the on position.

tsiah is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-30-2006, 05:47 PM   #25
OMega
I am Prelude

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsiah
I know with the links ECU and some ingenuity, one could make it work...but I dont have that kind of money...I dont think the stock ECU (or even something like hondata)can run the drivers for 4 coils either (there might be a way to trick it to fire the same coil driver 4 times per revolution?...but timing would still be an issue)
There was a guy on pgmfi that make a setup using soild state electronics, nothing fancey at all.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement