How I cleaned my EGR ports..pics - Honda Prelude Forum : Honda Prelude Forums
Home Forums Albums Garage iTrader Arcade
Register FAQ Insurance Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow Advertise

PreludePower.com is the premier Honda Prelude Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 05-07-2006, 04:49 PM   #1
dano
Prelude Aficionado

dano has disabled reputation
How I cleaned my EGR ports..pics

A while back I related how my Prelude failed emissions test because of too high nitrogens of oxide. I found my EGR was not functioning.The valve itself was opening but nothing was getting into the intake ports. After Trying to find a place that could clean them, I decided to take the matter into my own hands.

I removed the manifold. The EGR chamber is above the intake runners and I noticed that there were these welded (?) over projections over each runner. So I figured that this is where they drilled down thru the EGR chamber and into the runners. I drilled thru the top with a 27/64" drill ( that's the size you use for a 1/2" course thread tap)

I was right, the intake runner ports were directly under where I drilled. I cleaned the runner ports with a small drill bit (hand held) and cleaned the entire chamber out with oven cleaner and a 44 caliber brass bore brush.
The oven cleaner kicked the crap out of the carbon deposits but turned the aluminum dark gray..

Then I plugged the holes with 1/2" x 1/2" allan key plugs with hi-heat silicone in the threads. The places with the roman numerals are the actual runner port locations the others were opened up in order to clean the system out.

It worked...car passed emissions with flying colors.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by dano; 05-09-2006 at 07:40 PM.
dano is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-07-2006, 05:52 PM   #2
Takumi
Lude Dude

Takumi has disabled reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by dano
my Prelude failed emissions test because of too high nitrogens of oxide.
Old 05-07-2006, 06:32 PM   #3
Clean3rdGen
I am Prelude

Location: efpowejfiojfioae jfioaewjfiewjfioaewjfie wjfewajfaewjfewjf awejfiaruhgurhgyuhiokdjslk apjfewof[jkvh
Clean3rdGen will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to Clean3rdGen Send a message via MSN to Clean3rdGen
way to go dano! I always love when a good mystery novel is on its last page. too bad I hate reading novels.

Clean3rdGen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-07-2006, 06:48 PM   #4
sobelazy
Ludacious

sobelazy is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to sobelazy Send a message via MSN to sobelazy
good stuff man. so, does your car feel like it runs better?

my lude aint dead shes just sleeping

i think ferarri is a scaled down version of God

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

b16 head swap, care to try-
sobelazy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-07-2006, 06:53 PM   #5
dano
Prelude Aficionado

Not really. The only difference was that the idle went up to 1500 RPMs. I had to reset the little throttle stop screw down a bit. Must have been because I cleaned out everything while I was at it.

I had the intake plenum and throttle body gaskets left over from Honda's gasket set from 8 years ago ? So I just took everything apart.

Last edited by dano; 05-07-2006 at 06:56 PM.
Old 05-07-2006, 08:26 PM   #6
tsiah
no mo mod

tsiah has a spectacular aura abouttsiah has a spectacular aura about

ah, thats what a lot of techs do to hondas.
seems like a little bit too much work for my liking...
*shrug*
least you know its all cleaned up now

Happy Owners Never Drive Anything else
Quote:
Ask for a new stranger? Tell them your's is defective, it's stuck in the on position.

tsiah is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-07-2006, 08:42 PM   #7
LudaPower

LudaPower is a jewel in the roughLudaPower is a jewel in the roughLudaPower is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsiah
ah, thats what a lot of techs do to hondas.
seems like a little bit too much work for my liking...
*shrug*
least you know its all cleaned up now
pff u can't even get an engine to work properly

loser
jk

Good job dano.. you're retired right? Man.. that's old. :P
LudaPower is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-07-2006, 09:05 PM   #8
b20luda
I am Prelude

b20luda will become famous soon enoughb20luda will become famous soon enough

Prelude of the Month
Quote:
Originally Posted by LudaPower
pff u can't even get an engine to work properly

loser
jk

Good job dano.. you're retired right? Man.. that's old. :P
ouch thats a little harsh... its better than all the crap i have seen you rig together on your prelude, good job Dano..this is a pretty common problem on hondas...pretty much all the accords 90 and up are much easier to do it on then the preludes of our gen.

1991 SI boosted Oem internal B20A 220whp daily driverSOLD

Last edited by b20luda; 05-07-2006 at 09:08 PM.
b20luda is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-07-2006, 09:55 PM   #9
tsiah
no mo mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by b20luda
ouch thats a little harsh... its better than all the crap i have seen you rig together on your prelude, good job Dano..this is a pretty common problem on hondas...pretty much all the accords 90 and up are much easier to do it on then the preludes of our gen.
is this the way you guys fix em at the dealership?

Quote:
Ask for a new stranger? Tell them your's is defective, it's stuck in the on position.

Old 05-08-2006, 06:03 AM   #10
LudaPower

LudaPower is a jewel in the roughLudaPower is a jewel in the roughLudaPower is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by b20luda

Kiss my ass.. I was just joking dude.
LudaPower is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-08-2006, 08:33 AM   #11
dano
Prelude Aficionado

Hahahaha..

Didn't mean to start a rumble here. I knew you were kidding.

Old 05-08-2006, 11:23 PM   #12
b20luda
I am Prelude

b20luda will become famous soon enoughb20luda will become famous soon enough

Prelude of the Month
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsiah
is this the way you guys fix em at the dealership?
I have never personally done this on the prelude as we usally dont get them in for this kinda stuff people dont wanna spend the money i guess, but on the accords and newer preludes etc, this is exactly what we do except most have plugs on the runners, but they are still a chore to remove u have to first drill a hole in the center of it and then use a tap to make threads in the hole u just drilled...then use a slide hammer with a special attachment to pull them out, some model accords have a big plate that unbolts those are the $best$/easiest to do. Its acutally pretty easy to tell if the ports are clogged on automatic cars, when the engine is fully warmed up put the car in drive step on the brake and raise the RPMS (while the brakes are held) raise the rpm to about 1700-1900rpm and u can feel the engine miss pretty bad. And of course on the OBD2 cars its will usally throw a MIL for EGR insufficent flow, its pretty crazy how it knows that there clogged, when the egr opens it will intermintanly drop a bit of vacuum and the map sensor will pick that up, if the valve opens and the vacuum dosent drop it will think the ports are clogged and illuminate the cel. sorry didnt mean to ramble on and on...

1991 SI boosted Oem internal B20A 220whp daily driverSOLD
b20luda is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-09-2006, 04:56 AM   #13
2fast4me
Getting Comfortable

2fast4me is on a distinguished road
Good job man. Always nice to see a job well done.

If the good lord intended man to walk, he would'nt have invented preludes!
2fast4me is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-09-2006, 06:30 AM   #14
diamondsleeper
Lude Cray

diamondsleeper will become famous soon enough
Good Post. Now I know what to do when I need to do it. I have my manifold off right now for the engine rebuild on a B21. I noticed those welds and wondered what was in there.

diamondsleeper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-31-2006, 04:41 PM   #15
BA5
Lude Boss

BA5 has a spectacular aura aboutBA5 has a spectacular aura about
I have a question about your trouble shooting. I am having the same problem, that my car doesn't pass on NOx. I've done the test where you apply vaccuum to the EGR to check if the car stalls. My car *almost* stalls, but it still runs. I was wondering if that is close enough to think that it's not clogged up. Or should it just die?

BA5 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-31-2006, 09:51 PM   #16
dano
Prelude Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by BA5
I have a question about your trouble shooting. I am having the same problem, that my car doesn't pass on NOx. I've done the test where you apply vaccuum to the EGR to check if the car stalls. My car *almost* stalls, but it still runs. I was wondering if that is close enough to think that it's not clogged up. Or should it just die?
I guess it depends just how badly clogged the ports are. Mine were completely blocked and tested almost double the PPM allowed. After cleaning the engine would just about stall when vacuum was applied to EGR at idle. I would think your ports are not clogged.

If you just barely failed you may just need to reset your ignition timing

Old 05-31-2006, 10:30 PM   #17
BA5
Lude Boss

Yeah, I didn't fail by very much.

Thanks.

Old 06-01-2006, 12:41 AM   #18
tsiah
no mo mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by BA5
how much vacuum did you apply?

if you open the EGR all the way, the car should die...doesnt mean it will, but most cars do.
we had a buick at the school that had the electronic EGR...you can open it up with a scan tool...we opened it to 100% and the stupid thing still wouldnt die

Quote:

Old 06-01-2006, 01:49 PM   #19
BA5
Lude Boss

I tried two ways: One I applied about 200 mmHg, which according to the manual is how much vacuum the valve sees. The other way I applied as much vacuum as I could. There was no difference in how it ran when I did this, so I'm assuming that the 200 mmHg opens is all the way, or at least far enough.

I ended up replacing both O2 sensors. Only one was actually bad, but I just did both anyways. I also advanced the hell out of my timing. It passed.

I don't know if the o2 sensors were actually the problem, but I'm just glad it passed.

Last edited by BA5; 06-01-2006 at 01:49 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 10-27-2012, 12:16 PM   #20
Andyyy

Andyyy is on a distinguished road
Alright, I've been lurking ever since I bought my prelude. 1989 2.0Si. It's my first car ever, and to be honest when I bought it it was a piece of junk. I've replaced soo many parts in it. The radiator, catalytic converter, alternator, spark plugs, motor mounts, etc... Anyways, my car won't pass smog. The first test I did it passed the emissions the HC unit was one less than the maximum allowed but the timing was off and the idle was too high. The second time, after I got the timing set, it failed the emissions because of too high Nox. I also discovered that it's missing on the first cylinder(the one all the way to the left, i can pull it out and it doesn't change how the engine is running, its running really rough to start with) Could this be clogged egr ports? If not what could it be? I am not typically a car person, this is my first car, so half of the stuff people post on here I don't really understand. Sorry if this isn't posted in the right place, i don't know if it constituted a new thread or not.

Last edited by Andyyy; 10-27-2012 at 12:20 PM.
Andyyy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-27-2012, 02:14 PM   #21
BA5
Lude Boss

The cylinder misfire is a big one. I doubt you'll be able to pass emissions with a cylinder that isn't firing. So definitely fix that. Check your cap, rotor, wires, plugs, etc.

EGR can definitely cause NOx failure. The EGR cools the combustion temperature (too hot combustion temperature causes high NOx), so that is definitely a possibility. Timing that is too advanced can also cause NOx problems.

Old 10-27-2012, 03:31 PM   #22
dano
Prelude Aficionado

If you are looking at the engine from the bumper, cylinder #1 is on the right side. If you are sitting behind the steering wheel, cylinder #1 is on the left.

Your missing cylinder could be something as simple as a bad spark plug lead.

You need to check Spark, Fuel supply, and Compression.

Old 10-27-2012, 03:56 PM   #23
Andyyy

Andyyy is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by dano View Post
If you are looking at the engine from the bumper, cylinder #1 is on the right side. If you are sitting behind the steering wheel, cylinder #1 is on the left.

Your missing cylinder could be something as simple as a bad spark plug lead.

You need to check Spark, Fuel supply, and Compression.
Thank you, it's the 4th cylinder then. The one with the shortest wire. I'll try and figure out a way to test those
Andyyy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement