F1 Racing Stage 2 Clutch + 11.5lb Flywheel Review - Honda Prelude Forum : Honda Prelude Forums
Home Forums Albums Garage iTrader Arcade
Register FAQ Insurance Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow Advertise

PreludePower.com is the premier Honda Prelude Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Review Tools Display Modes
Old 02-15-2012, 07:42 AM
True Luder
OldSchool4G is on a distinguished road
F1 Racing Stage 2 Clutch + 11.5lb Flywheel Review

Considering there is so much contraversy over F1 products ive decided to purchase a stage 2 clutch and their 11.5lb chromoly flywheel and write a review on it. So first ill start with customr service. i ordered my clutch and flywheel from Gripforce.com for 250, and paid for the 2 day shipping. it arrived the second at around noon. Everything was packaged well including the clutch, pressure plate, throwout bearing, install tool and flywheel. No visual defects or damage. The clutch disk has good contruction. nothing loose. rivets nice and tight. torsion springs are stiff and secure. the flywheel is perfect cut and has a tight press fit pilot bearing. Ive installed the clutch and flywheel and now have 100 miles on it. Pedal effort is small with the stage 2. the clutch grips very well. either semi short or really short if you drop the clutch. slight clutch chatter was noticed during the first 50 miles, as a lot of clutches do during breakin. No more clutch chatter is present. Throttle response with the flywheel is amazing. definetly noticed over the 22lb stock flywheel. Overall this product is GREAT for the money. i would recommend it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-15-2012, 07:44 AM
True Luder

ill repost after break in to let you know how it went
Old 02-15-2012, 07:55 AM
True Luder

1Slw4Dr will become famous soon enough1Slw4Dr will become famous soon enough
Exactly what I want to get for my h23a1 swap I'm working. Thank you for posting this because I thought I was going to have to do it myself. F1 for the broke ass people win lol!

Old 02-16-2012, 12:49 PM
True Luder

Hell yeah! lol. Its great so far.
Old 03-02-2012, 04:25 PM
Elite Member

solid305 is on a distinguished road
I got a clutch from them and it still is holding up strong.
Old 03-14-2012, 10:45 PM
True Luder

UPDATE: Currently 1500 miles in. Feels great. good pressure, throw out bearing doing good, same with pilot. Grabs nice, no slip, holds strong. Good as a daily as well. Smooth if DDing and will grab quick if road racing. Lookin good. Ill keep ya'll luders up to date.
Old 03-15-2012, 08:33 AM
True Luder

afrotec is on a distinguished road
Thanks for the review man, I'll be picking one of these up soon hopefully.
Old 03-15-2012, 06:55 PM
Getting Comfortable

xravenwingsx is on a distinguished road
Thanks for the updates, hope to see how these hold up over the long term!
Old 03-15-2012, 09:21 PM
I am Prelude

Mahusay3g will become famous soon enough
I can vouch for the stage 3 6 puck for the 3rd gen. I'm at about 4k miles on it now and works better than ever. Crazy chatter during break in, but it does well now.
Old 03-15-2012, 10:14 PM
True Luder

Yupp. Chata chata. Its like the crank and main shaft are sayin "hate hate hate hate hate hate" at the beginning. Youll get more if your running a lightweight flywheel as well.
Old 03-15-2012, 11:19 PM
I am Prelude

Luzer gave me advice to drop it from 2 or 3k to get going from a stop and that helped with the chatter during the break in. Realistically my break in period lasted like 1500 miles. That's a rough idea of how long it took for the clutch to become comfortable to DD on.
Old 03-21-2012, 11:12 PM
Lude Dude

lude_racer420 is on a distinguished road
hell yeah man good advive so ill take your word for it and get it thanks!
Old 03-22-2012, 04:41 AM
Lude Boss

3gPreludetuner24 is on a distinguished road
I had an F1 Racing stage 2 clutch and it sucked. It didn't even last me 500 miles on my freshly built b20a. The clutch disc tension springs broke. I must admit I raced my lude one time with my new clutch with at least 400 miles on it. But either way it shouldn't had fucked up like that. I'm running an OEM Exedy clutch now and it's perfect. I wouldn't recommend this clutch to anyone.
Old 03-22-2012, 06:16 PM
I am Prelude

I'm hoping to get a full life out of this stage 3. It was used by rev_rage and I can't vouch for his full experience with it, but so far so good here. It was good for my budget at the time.
Old 03-25-2012, 12:21 AM
Elite Member

cudaboy is the King of the Internetcudaboy is the King of the Internetcudaboy is the King of the Internetcudaboy is the King of the Internetcudaboy is the King of the Internetcudaboy is the King of the Internetcudaboy is the King of the Internetcudaboy is the King of the Internetcudaboy is the King of the Internetcudaboy is the King of the Internetcudaboy is the King of the Internet
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3gPreludetuner24 View Post
I had an F1 Racing stage 2 clutch and it sucked. It didn't even last me 500 miles on my freshly built b20a. The clutch disc tension springs broke. I must admit I raced my lude one time with my new clutch with at least 400 miles on it. But either way it shouldn't had fucked up like that. I'm running an OEM Exedy clutch now and it's perfect. I wouldn't recommend this clutch to anyone.

I can't speak for your springs but what you posted in 3rd gen was you babied it from the beginning. I on the other hand did many moderate to severe drops from the beginning. I am pretty sure my stage 3 six puck sprung clutch from f1 was ceramic. I also purchased a f1 racing 9.75 integra one piece chromoly fly at the time. Mine is great still. My only complaint is that the combination of the the two are little too much to deal with in stop and go traffic on the freeway where you have little area to move forward. Also that lightweight of a flywheel adds several hundred rpm to drop it in at to keep it running. I would say an additional 350 -500 rpm. Hopefully in the next day or so I can find out if I can increase idle by about 400 rpm and it still run right. I tried one method like the book says but that didn't do the trick.

I have not done alot of research on breaking in clutches just what I heard here and there. I know if it is anything like my hawk ceramic pads for the brakes, the manufacture says right on the box to do like 10 moderately heavy stops at like 40mph then like six all out slam the hammer down at like sixty to break them in. I just did this last month and they work great. Hawk box also said not to ride the brakes while breaking them in. I am not saying you didn't get a bad product but I would be curious what your flywheel looked like when you opened it back up to replace the f1 clutch. Was it stock flywheel and if so did you have it resurfaced while installing the f1 clutch? If not stock flywheel was it an f1racing lightweight flywheel?
Old 09-01-2012, 11:34 PM
True Luder

Well, I drove nearly 1000 miles on my f1 stage 2 without giving it over 50 percent throttle. Break In AND installation is key. I currently have e around 8k on it now and it's great. The only one issue is that sometimes, especially in cold temps and initial start up it it grabs slightly as soon as I release the pedal and pulls the car forward until engagement and I think that's from when I installed it I didn't put very much high temp grease on the main shaft cause I was worried about contaminating the clutch disk so the disk sits toward the pressure plate side when it deos that.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2
Old 09-01-2012, 11:49 PM
I am Prelude

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldSchool4G View Post
Well, I drove nearly 1000 miles on my f1 stage 2 without giving it over 50 percent throttle. Break In AND installation is key. I currently have e around 8k on it now and it's great. The only one issue is that sometimes, especially in cold temps and initial start up it it grabs slightly as soon as I release the pedal and pulls the car forward until engagement and I think that's from when I installed it I didn't put very much high temp grease on the main shaft cause I was worried about contaminating the clutch disk so the disk sits toward the pressure plate side when it deos that.

Mine does that too!

Update on mine, I've put over 10k on it and it's running strong, it takes abuse.
Old 09-02-2012, 08:33 AM
I am Prelude

rev_rage has a spectacular aura aboutrev_rage has a spectacular aura about
the old F1 clutch's were notorious for failing, since then they have been alot better. I am running a stage one on the H swap
Old 09-02-2012, 11:00 AM
Getting Comfortable

Dalude609 is on a distinguished road
I put in the stage 1 and 11.5 flywheel after my clutch went out. Been running it for over 25,000 miles and it still works fantastic.
Old 09-02-2012, 11:45 AM
Donating Mod

Prudz_lude is a splendid one to beholdPrudz_lude is a splendid one to beholdPrudz_lude is a splendid one to beholdPrudz_lude is a splendid one to beholdPrudz_lude is a splendid one to beholdPrudz_lude is a splendid one to beholdPrudz_lude is a splendid one to beholdPrudz_lude is a splendid one to behold
Glad I read this review, i'm picking up a stage 3 sprung clutch and 11.5 flywheel soon. I had a stage 1 exedy a few times now and I have had great success with them. Once I ran a 8.5lb flywheel... never again. Way to light, 11.5 was the next flywheel I ran it was perfect. I just need to beef up the torque capacity and for the price, you can't beat f1. Everything else close to 300lb's is $400.
Old 09-02-2012, 04:10 PM
I am Prelude

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prudz_lude View Post
Glad I read this review, i'm picking up a stage 3 sprung clutch and 11.5 flywheel soon. I had a stage 1 exedy a few times now and I have had great success with them. Once I ran a 8.5lb flywheel... never again. Way to light, 11.5 was the next flywheel I ran it was perfect. I just need to beef up the torque capacity and for the price, you can't beat f1. Everything else close to 300lb's is $400.
A some people on the supra forums buy them for their MKIII's, the same case is true when it comes to what age the F1 clutch was made. Recent ones are pretty damn good for the money you pay. Now that I have money, next clutch I buy I'm going exedy, but if I'm ever in a situation again, I'll go F1.
Old 10-23-2012, 09:46 PM
True Luder

ZekeComa is on a distinguished road
What's the engagement point on a F1 Stage 1?
Old 10-23-2012, 10:34 PM
I am Prelude

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZekeComa View Post
That's hard to really tell you man. A lot of people's cars have different engagement points altogether.
Old 12-17-2012, 09:49 PM
True Luder

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZekeComa View Post
Well, mine is medium to high on the pedal, but I also replaced both my clutch master and slave with duralast, and I'm sure they are designed to to be light on pedal pressure, and slow pressure plate movement. It all depends.

Well I'm at about 17k in it now. Holding strong. I daily my car easy with about 3 to 5 times of hard acceleration a week. It can take abuse. I've rode the hell out of the clutch quick shifting and it hasn't worn much. The inconsistent early engagements stopped. Doing good. F1 is a good bang for your buck, but personally, if in had the money, I'd get exedy stage 2. I have a fedenza 11.5 flywheel with serviceable friction service that needs replaced. Just found it chillin on my blown h22 lol. Never noticed it.

Old 12-20-2012, 09:43 PM
Lude Cray

nusdogg is on a distinguished road
Shoo, my F1 stage 1 failed on me when I was in 1st gear going into 2nd after a launch at the track. Shift out of 1st trying to go into 2nd and wouldn't let me. Clutch pedal stiffens up hard as a rock like I'm on Competition stage 4 clutch or some sh*t. Had to leave it in Neutral, force it into 2nd, and coast down the drag strip.

I hit 29 sec on a quarter mile. Thought I blew up the clutch, but nah. It overheated and just needed to be cooled down. Found this out after we're leaving home and it shifted fine. I was like "I could've do some more runs that day!!!" Oh well, I went Exedy stage 1 clutch and Fidanza 8lbs flywheel the next weekend after that. No problem whatsoever. Never gonna mess around with F1 ever again.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement