Honda Prelude Forum banner

1998 SiR S-Spec

5th Gen_ 
12K views 36 replies 9 participants last post by  nitin_s1 
#1 ·
Hello my fellow Prelude people from across the pond. You might remember me for having my Japanese Sir Type-S (((Build thread here))).

ATTS was nearly dying as it needed a lot of renovation, it was less tuneable and then there was the rust that had eaten all the sills which was a major let down. so in the end I decided to part it out and go on the hunt for a new one.

And I got this.... :D

1998 SiR S-Spec

For those of you don't know it was had the same engine as the Type-S (Red top JDM H22A) with 220ps but instead of the ATTS it had a LSD. Same interior bits, half leather seats half suede/alcantara and all the cool JDM options. I was really lucky as this one had only done 66k kilometres. S-Spec was a bit rarer then the Type-S even in Japan so when this came up for sale I paid upfront even without going to see it.

There was a couple of problems with the car but they were only cosmetics as it needs a re-spray, folding mirrors weren't working and couple of nasty marks in the interior. But the engine was sweet and the suspension just had a good overhaul as it was poly-bushed.

This is the day I got my car was really excited.

Then after a couple of weeks I transferred all my good lip kits from my old car in to this along with the black surrounded headlights too.

Next on the list is to sort out the interior, get some new OEM wheels and then go for a re-spray.

See less See more
#3 ·
Today I managed to clean up the interior to it's formal OEM glory. It had an aftermarket gear knob and you lot know how much I love OEM knobs :lol:. There was some panels that were scratched and luckily I saved some good ones from my old car in to this. The Glass bit of the speedo also had a crack and managed to swap that over to a better looking one. The rear fog light switch also was broken so managed to fix that by deleting it.

There are a couple of thing I need to get it back to 100% original. It's missing the JDM flare, CF gear surround and the passenger side rear visor's glass bit is also broken. I have the flare and the CF bits from my old car so that's easy but the glass bit i'll need to source it.

I stil have the Red SiR interior and the red JDM Recaro's to go in this car but at the moment I do love the OEM interior and the practicality of rear seats so will leave that for summer.

#7 ·
awesome! love that youve gotten another s spec!!!

cant wait to see kire in this build thread!!

#13 ·
Finally got my new wheels fitted to the car and here some pictures of the car. Enkei RP01 - 17x7.5 ET32 with 215/45/17. Choose these wheels as they are kind of like the OEM Type-S wheels but bigger and fill up the arches better and of course they're JDM.. :mrgreen:

Fills up the arches so much better :twisted: :twisted: :arrow:

I know the car's body work needs an attention and it's going to be sorted out next month. :oops:

The tyres are catching on the rear arch a bit :roll: so will need to get the arches rolled too.. :oops: :lol:

#14 ·
So a lot of has changed since I last updated this thread (some of you might know from instagram and facebook but I thought I'd update this thread anyways).

The car is a rare S-Spec model and even rarer then the Type-S model every where so I wanted to do something to it that would keep the OEM stuff but also add another unique point to it. I deiced to paint the whole car phoenix yellow.

I had a vision in my mind and it would look like this :

Some pictures of the car during the body work process :

#15 ·
So after a few months the car was back from the body work with the following done to the car :

Full strip, under sealed the car for future rust proofing, arches rolled to accommodate the wheels, wheels fully powder coated to championship white and full car resprayed in Phoenix yellow.

The car came out the garage looking like this for a quick photoshoot :

#21 ·
Lovely! I'm in rebuild mode. I've found a few of these in Japan I thought about importing, but they are too young!

If you can source me a digital climate control (just the face plate and harness with pigtail) let me know!

#23 ·
Lovely! I'm in rebuild mode. I've found a few of these in Japan I thought about importing, but they are too young!
If you can source me a digital climate control (just the face plate and harness with pigtail) let me know!
I sold my old Sat-nav unit from my Type-S to someone long time ago but if I find another set for sale I will give you a shout.

Wow the yellow looks awesome!!still love this car!been wstching your progres and thtead for literally years and years!!
Thanks :inlove: :inlove: I have bought another Honda so soon you shall see. :D

#22 ·
Wow the yellow looks awesome!!still love this car!been wstching your progres and thtead for literally years and years!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.