Honda Prelude Forum banner

1FunRyd - SeatBelt Constant Torque Springs - 88-91 Honda Prelude

21K views 115 replies 25 participants last post by  Ludist1029 
#1 · (Edited)
Update:

I have tranferred my last stock to: MustardCat so the springs can be ordered off his site: www.prelude-engineering.com

1FunRyd.com
has closed its doors on 8/1/2023.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Group Buy Price is over and now the springs are retail pricing: $165 + shipping (+ paypal fees)

Are your seat belts slow to retract or do not retract at all????
Well read on and jump in on this group buy....

I am starting a thread to discuss and potential get a replacement - Constant Torque Springs - for our seat belt retractors.

The new improved Constant Torque Spring:

Here is the removal and install of the old and new spring:

As many of you know one of the biggest issues in regards to saftey is the dreaded slow to no seat belt retraction issue.

Another a member and I have been discussing and looking into getting this part replaced with a new spring that is no longer available from Honda.
Actually its the entire seat belt retractor is what gets replace vs the actual part that goes bad.

So after some discussion about it and doing some research, we have found a place that builds these parts and can custom remake our replacement spring.

We are going to have the springs torque increased so as to retract better and last longer.

I want to start a feeler\discussion\Group Buy thread here to see how many are wanting to purchase this part.

There is a minimum order for these parts, so I need get a minimum order in to move forward with this.

Once we get the prototype made and tested, we shall provide a video on how to remove your seat belt retractor mechanism and open it up and replace the part and then re-install for ease of replacement.

**Note: Remember this is a discontinued part and it will need replacing.

Price for the group buy: $77 per pair
Shipping: $10.00 US domestic (international must be quoted)
Paypal: $5.00 domestic fee (international fee must be quoted)

Grand Total: $92 shipped

Money Order Payment Details:

1FunRyd Performance
Sean Tydingco
1618 20th ST NE
Auburn WA 98002
Email: 1funryd@comcast.net
Phone: 206-304-4095

* Group Buy is Over *
Group Buy Members:
1. Bones - 1 pair.
2. stlschindler - 1 pair. - Paid 3-5-18 - shipped - 4-25-18
3. jdm3genprelude x 2 pair - updated - 11-7-17 - Paid 3-5-18 - shipped - 4-25-18
4. Feral - per email request - 1 pair. Paid 3-5-18 - shipped - 4-25-18
5. AcidRain - per email and site request - 1 pair. - 8-5-17 - Paid 3-17-18 - shipped - 4-26-18
6. Lordbutz - per email - 1 pair. - Paid 3-5-18 - shipped - 4-26-18
7. Boblasek - per email request - 1 pair. - Paid 3-5-18 - shipped - 4-26-18
8. Mechanized Fury - info received - 1 pair - 11-7-17 - None-Payment
9. luzer - info received - 2 pair - 11-9-17 - 1-10-18 per email adding another pair. - Paid 3-5-18 - shipped - 4-26-18
10. luda8890 - info received - 1 pair - 11-25-17 - Paid 3-5-18
11. gtpdz - info received - 1 pair - 11-25-17 - None Payment
12. Colorado3rdGen - per email - 1-17-18 - Paid 3-6-18- shipped - 4-27-18
13. MtnLudes - info received - 2 x pair - 1-26-18 - Paid 3-5-18 - shipped - 4-26-18
14. TheMtnLord - info received - 1 pair - 1-31-18 - Paid 3-6-18- shipped - 4-26-18
15. Blainethemono - info received - 1 pair - 3-4-18 - Paid 3-5-18- shipped - 4-27-18
16. Stupidlow - Paid 3-5-18- shipped - 4-27-18

Details:

Please email me the following below before I can add to the list:

PP.com ID:
Full name:
Complete Address:
Phone:
Paypal email:

Please email to: 1funryd@comcast.net

See less See more
1 2
#2 ·
Another a member and I have been discussing and looking into getting this part replaced with a new spring that is no longer available from Honda.
Actually its the entire seat belt retractor is what gets replace vs the actual part that goes bad.

Once we get the prototype made and tested, we shall provide a video on how to remove your seat belt retractor mechanism and open it up and replace the part and then re-install for ease of replacement.
I'm interested in this, but...I'm kind of confused as to what we would be buying Sean. In the first quote above you say it's the entire seatbelt retractor, and in the second quote you say we would need to disassemble the retractor to replace a part. Hopefully your pictures will help alleviate any confusion.

#5 ·

I am starting a thread to discuss and potential get a replacement - Constant Torque Springs - for our seat belt retractors.

As many of you know one of the biggest issues in regards to saftey is the dreaded slow to no seat belt retraction issue.

So after some discussion about it and doing some research, we have found a place that builds these parts and can custom remake our replacement spring.

We are going to have the springs torque increased so as to retract better and last longer.

I want to start a feeler\discussion\Group Buy thread here to see how many are wanting to purchase this part.

There is a minimum order for these parts, so I need get a minimum order in to move forward with this.

Price for the group buy: $55 per spring
Shipping: $8.00 US domestic (international must be quoted)
Paypal: $3.00 domestic fee (international fee must be quoted)

Grand Total: $66 shipped (if you purchase two springs then shipping is the same price.)

1FunRyd Performance
Sean Tydingco
1618 20th ST NE
Auburn WA 98002

Group Buy Members:

1.stupidlow

I'm in

#7 · (Edited)
Please follow the information below.

Does this torque spring is also being used in Canadian models?
This includes all models as they have not difference in the mechanisms.

Group Buy Members:

Details:

PP.com ID:
Full name:
Complete Address:
Phone:
Paypal email:

Email to: 1funryd@comcast.net

#8 · (Edited)
for the US buyers, with the door panel off you will find two retractors per door. An upper reatractor, and a lower retractor. This spring is for the upper retractor and found under the BLUE plastic cover that says "do not remove". The spring in the lower cover is different and can be wound tighter. To tighten the lower retractor spring remove the two #1 philips screws and wind the gray cover that says "do not remove" until a desired tension is achieved, reinstall the two philips screws. Mine are wound 4 full revolutions of the gray plastic cap over stock. What Sean is offering is the constant torque spring found in the blue cover, not the gray. For US and Canada, to replace the constant torque spring in the BLUE cover, remove the two #1 philips screws and remove the BLUE cover. Now slowly remove the green wheel until it is disengaged from the retractor shaft and allow the spring the wind itself up. Remove the philips retention screw locking the spring to the green wheel. Now remove the gray wheel containing the spring. If the new springs are not being offered with the gray wheel, place the wheel around and axle (screwdriver in vice, nail in wall, ect) and unwind the old spring. If you walk out the old spring, give your self some room, it is about 15 feet long. Now you will need to wind the new spring around the wheel similarly to its removal, reinstall the gray wheel with spring onto the whitish backing plate, then into the green wheel. Install the locking screw of the green wheel, wind the green wheel 3-4 times with seat belt fully retracted and install onto retractor shaft. reinstall blue cover and door panel(USDM). I once tried placing two of these springs onto one gray wheel to increase tension, but take it from me, there is not enough room between the gray wheel and green wheel for that to work. You will need one constant torque spring per seat belt.

#10 ·

Grand Total: $66 shipped (if you purchase two springs then shipping is the same price.)

1FunRyd Performance
Sean Tydingco
1618 20th ST NE
Auburn WA 98002

Group Buy Members:

Details:

PP.com ID:
Full name:
Complete Address:
Phone:
Paypal email:

I'll repost this question since it hasn't been addressed yet.

post one "Price for the group buy: $55 per spring"

#13 ·
I'm in for at least one,I will email you my details this weekend

#15 ·
Hell I don't know if I need one or not. Put me down for two of them and I'll add them into my parts pile that one day will hopefully turn into a car.

#20 ·
I want this for my crappy seat belt retractor!

1FunRyd Performance
Sean Tydingco
1618 20th ST NE
Auburn WA 98002

Group Buy Members:
1. Bones
2. stlschindler x 2
3. jdm3genprelude x2
4. Mosk666

Details:

PP.com ID:
Full name:
Complete Address:
Phone:
Paypal email:

It said I have to write some stuff here to enter my name on the thread in order to get this when it's made. Hopefully this works!

#21 ·
Only my passenger side seatbelt had the slow retraction problem.
My logic on how to fix it was to create more tension by shortening the seatbelt because I always noticed it had a sort of saggy behavior.
So after a few hours of tampering with that stupid contraption we know as the 'constant torque spring'.

My finished product did not satisfy me. The spring/shortening the length of the seatbelt did in fact have significant improvement in retracting the belt properly, however when fully installed I came to the final conclusion that the real problem was within the elasticity of the fabric that makes up the seatbelt. The upper angle that the seat belt has to travel through creates friction which over time caused the fabric to expand making it harder and harder to pass through and retract downward into the door. I think the fabric is the ultimate culprit but this group buy really intrigues me. I actually just went to the dealership today and pestered them about that 'lifetime warranty' on our belts to see what their reaction would be, looks promising.

#23 · (Edited)
Update to details.

Details have been updated.

Lets make this happen for our beloved 3rd gens.
With this part you would no longer need to get your seat belts replaced(unless they are destroyed of course.)

I had to post the update in this post due to the site is having database errors, I will updated the original post when this is fixed.

Paypal: $5.00 domestic fee (international fee must be quoted)

Grand Total: $89 shipped

1FunRyd Performance
Sean Tydingco
1618 20th ST NE
Auburn WA 98002

#24 ·
Did the price come down? Your update says $75 per pair. Does that mean 2 in as enough to do both front seat belts?

#26 ·
Update

Group Buy Members:
1. Bones
2. stlschindler x 2 1 pair
3. jdm3genprelude x2 - 1 pair
4. Feral - per email request

Details:

PP.com ID:
Full name:
Complete Address:
Phone:
Paypal email:

#27 ·
Group Buy Members:
1. Bones

Details:

PP.com ID:
Full name:
Complete Address:
Phone:
Paypal email:

#29 · (Edited)
Added!!!

Group Buy Members:
1. Bones
5. AcidRain - per email and site request - 8-5-17

Details:

PP.com ID:
Full name:
Complete Address:
Phone:
Paypal email:

Guys/Gals please understand that if we do not make the 20 then I will need to re-do the pricing to reflect the loss.
So encourage your fellow luders to join up.

#34 · (Edited)
Please send me the info requested so I can add you to the list.

Group Buy Members:
1. Bones - 1 pair.
2. stlschindler - 1 pair.
3. jdm3genprelude x 2 pair - updated - 11-7-17
4. Feral - per email request - 1 pair.
5. AcidRain - per email and site request - 1 pair. - 8-5-17
6. Lordbutz - per email - 1 pair.
7. Boblasek - per email request - 1 pair.
8. Mechanized Fury - info received - 1 pair - 11-7-17

Details:

PP.com ID:
Full name:
Complete Address:
Phone:
Paypal email:

#37 ·
Paypal: $4.00 domestic fee (international fee must be quoted)

Grand Total: $92 shipped
Now that's a much more reasonable price Sean. Although I'm wondering about your math skills. 77+10+4=91, not 92. Can I still sign up for this? I'll e-mail you my info if so.

#41 ·
Added!

Group Buy Members:
1. Bones - 1 pair.
2. stlschindler - 1 pair.
3. jdm3genprelude x 2 pair - updated - 11-7-17
4. Feral - per email request - 1 pair.
5. AcidRain - per email and site request - 1 pair. - 8-5-17
6. Lordbutz - per email - 1 pair.
7. Boblasek - per email request - 1 pair.
8. Mechanized Fury - info received - 1 pair - 11-7-17
9. luzer - info received - 1 pair - 11-9-17

Details:

PP.com ID:
Full name:
Complete Address:
Phone:
Paypal email: