Road & Track, Aug 1987 - Honda Prelude 2.0 Si (4WS review) - Honda Prelude Forum : Honda Prelude Forums
Home Forums Albums Garage iTrader Arcade
Register FAQ Insurance Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow Advertise

PreludePower.com is the premier Honda Prelude Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 03-11-2011, 12:39 AM   #1
NOFX
True Luder

NOFX will become famous soon enoughNOFX will become famous soon enough
Road & Track, Aug 1987 - Honda Prelude 2.0 Si (4WS review)

***Picked up a scanner the other day and got all this stuff scanned, trimmed and resized. These are 40% size. Rep appreciated!
- Amelia***

Last edited by NOFX; 03-19-2011 at 02:03 AM.
NOFX is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-12-2011, 07:04 PM   #2
Bruised_ego
I am Prelude

Bruised_ego has a spectacular aura aboutBruised_ego has a spectacular aura about

Prelude of the Month
i like how you do all these articles. good stuff! please keep it up

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Bruised_ego is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-12-2011, 07:30 PM   #3
NOFX
True Luder

Thanks. I like to share any info I might be able to find, and this article seemed like a good one too.

I just wish my stupid scanner was working! It decided one day that it was no longer going to power on.

Maybe I should stop ordering magazines and buy a scanner. :P What a stupid idea.

Old 03-18-2011, 08:13 PM   #4
Bruised_ego
I am Prelude

Bruised_ego has a spectacular aura aboutBruised_ego has a spectacular aura about

Prelude of the Month
i know you didnt scan the 1g and 4g and not the 3g stuff! unacceptable!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 03-18-2011, 08:39 PM   #5
NOFX
True Luder

Quote:
Originally Posted by mackie View Post
i know you didnt scan the 1g and 4g and not the 3g stuff! unacceptable!
I know you know how to count. :P I didn't post any 1G stuff.

I have several 3G articles and just scanned the 2G stuff because I'd just gotten it and the 4G stuff because it was only one page and the magazine isn't mine. Then I scanned a lot more from that magazine for the owner.
Old 03-18-2011, 10:43 PM   #6
NOFX
True Luder

I'm also not so sure that anyone besides you and I has any interest in this sort of stuff. Starting to wonder.
Old 03-19-2011, 02:01 AM   #7
NOFX
True Luder

mackie, I scanned the pages tonight. Here's the text just in case anyone finds any of this by a search or if the images go down.

HONDA PRELUDE 2.0 SI
Honda steers into the future - with all four wheels

Road & Track, August 1987

It was inevitable. Sooner of later somebody would bring out a car that steers at both ends. Ho hum, you say. Another gimmick. After diesels, turbochargers, four valves per cylinder and 4-wheel drive, could a car that steers the rears be far behind? Rumors, and even prototypes, of 4-wheel steering (4ws) cars have been around for a few years now. Virtually all usable designs come out of Japan. Mazda is known to be close to production, Nissan and Mitsubishi are also hard at work. But leave it to the "hard engineering" folks at Honda to be first on the market with something that works. Is it a gimmick or Significant New technology? Read on.

For the 1988 model year, Honda introduces an all-new Prelude. All-new, yet all-old, which is not to be taken as a negative comment by any means. The 2nd-generation Prelude (1983-1987) was an excellent car. Our cover story for May 1983 called it the "best Honda ever"; at that time we said it was "the best $10,000 sports coupe on the market." In comparison with the VW Scirocco and Celica GT-S, we said simply that "the Honda is better than they are." That was more than four years ago. Automobiles and technology have changed since then. The Scirocco has a new 16-valve engine; the celica GT-S has a completely new concept, going from rear-wheel drive to front-wheel drive and also 16 valves in the new version.

Time waits for no one, and certainly for no car; after four successful years, Honda felt that something new was needed. The result is a complete redesign of the body, a new engine in a slightly different position, and the first 4ws car on the market.

The body is recognizable as a Prelude. During out time with the car, several Honda owners approached us and said, "So that's the new Prelude, huh?" The styling draws its cues from the previous generation, and unless one compared them side by side, the differences are not at all obvious. Most significantly, the hoodline has been lowered (Honda claims a lower hood than the mid-engine Ferrari 328), the front "face" of the car cleaned up by redesign of the hood and headlights, the character line along the waist removed, and the rack-on rear spoiler replaced by a reshaped trunk lid. Overall length has been increased by 3.6 in., the wheelbase by 4.5. No body or glazing prts of the old model fit the new one; externally, this 3rd-generation Prelude is completely new.

Contributing to the ower hoodline is the new engine and its placement. It is now a twincam design, driving solid lifters. there are actualy two new engines available, using the same low-pressure-die-cast aluminum block with cast-in-place iron liners: the base 2.0-liter carbureted 12-valve, installed on the Prelude S and developing 104 bhp (105 bhp with automatic transmission); and the optional 16-valve 2.0-liter capable of 135 bhp, fed by Honda's own Programmed fuel Injection and installed on the Prelude Si. While the 2nd-generation Prelude had an engine angled forward 15 degreed from vertical, the new engine is planted 18 degrees rearward. This, plus a lower crankshaft location, moves the engine's center of gravity down and back. The injected engine is of greater interest to enthusiasts. It features a dual-stage intake manifold to improve low-end torque without loss of power in the upper rev ranges; a 35-mm-diameter intake tracts opeerated alone below 5000 rpm, above which an additional 51-mm runner is opened by a vacuum servo. Either engine is supported by engine mounts located along the major inertial axis, parallel to the crankshaft centerline, in an effort to tone down vibration.

Two transmissions are offered, the excellent 5-speed manual and a new automatic. The automatic can be left in its normal D mode or put into either of two sport modes. S4 mode has higher shift points than D; S3 is similar but eliminated use of 4th gear. All but 1st are equipped with progressive lockup.

The suspension on the new generation is also revamped. Where the second variation on the theme had Chapman struts at the rear, the new composition gets upper and lower arms at the rear as well as the front.

Steering is by speed-sensitive power-assisted rack and pinion; cars equipped with the optional 4ws get a higher-volume power steering pump. Although the steering is linear in action (no variable-ratio), the effect of rear-wheel steering in cars so equipped is to alter the effective steering ratio as the steering whee is turned. A stee subframe supporting the steering column further helps eliminate vibrations transmitted through the steering wheel. The equal-length driveshafts effectively descrease torque steer.

For its 4ws system, Honda has forsaken the high-tech approach, using hydraulics or electrics, in favor of a purely mechanical approach, which promises to be more reliable and cost-effective. Quite simplt, the mechanism is driven by a longitudinal shaft running from the power-assist front rack-and-pinion box down the center tunnel to tell the rear steering box what to do. Here's where it gets interesting. The rear steeing box is like nothing ever seen at the front of a car, for the Honda's wheels don't always steer in the same direction. The rear box uses an eccentric shaft turning a planetaary gear to give the rear tie rods an oscillatory motion as the front-wheel-steering deflection increases. For small steering inputs, which cover anything the driver would normally do at speed on normal roads, the rear wheels will point the same way as the front wheels, but their maximum deflection is onlyy 1.5 degrees. The initial steering rate at the rear is only one-third that of the front wheels and decreases from there. after the steering wheel has been turned 246 degrees from its on-center position, the rear wheels are again pointing straight ahead. Beyond that steering input, the rear wheels will steer opposite to the front wheels to a maximum deflection of 5.3 degrees.

There are two benefits to all of this: One, on the road, the rear of the car reacts right now to steering inputs instead of eaiting for the body to catch up to the front steering input, and then for the rear wheels to follow along from that. There is less need to reduce steering lock as the rear tires "bite." Two, in low-speed tight situations, the car has an extremely small turning circle. This is most apparent when maneuvering in parking lots and the like. The car is easily turned about on average 2-lane roads, without excessive backing and filling.

Are there any drawbacks? Only minor ones, we feel. Although one would expect such a car to be quicker steering than it's 2ws counterpart, this is not true. Initially, the steering feels slower, and indeed it is. This is entirely expected, if one thinks about what happens at the tires in a cornering situation. Assume two cars identical in regard to weight, balance, tires and suspension, but one with 2ws and one with 4ws. Assume both are cornering at some constant speed. The front tires of both cars will have exactly the same slip angles. Now here comes the tricky part: So will the rears. Reason: The rear tires will have to develop the same side force to achieve the same cornering power on both cars. Side force is developed by slip angle. So why did they bother to have the rear wheels steer anyway? Well, slip angle is measured relative to the car's path, not to the body centerline. So by steering the rears, body yaw is reduced by the amount of rear-wheel deflection. In other words, you don't have to hang the tail out in corners, at least not as far.

Returning to the original question: Why do you need to turn the steering wheel further? When the body yaws, it helps rotate the front end into the turn. In a perfect 4-wheel drift, you've managed to turn the wheels so far with body yaw alone that no steering input is required to get the front slip angle (relative to the car's path, bever mind when the body is doing), and the rear slip angle is modulated by the throttle - at least, that's the way it works on a rear-wheel drive car and normally a fwd car can't be drifted. In the 4ws car, the descreased body yaw must be made up by greater steering-wheel input from the driver. This feels like understeer, although all of the mechanical bits at the front are the same on both cars, and the car is physically just as nible as its 2ws sibling. It is possible to get into teh "opposite phase" steering mode, for example in spin recovery, under conditions of offosite lock in slippery conditions and on tight hairpin bends. As out European editor, Paul Frere, reported last month, the opposite steering angle is also marginally heavier because there are more things to be steered.

Another potential drawback is cost. Honda projects the price of the 4ws option at about $1400, as part of a package (including alloy wheels, central locking and bronze tinted glass), and it will be available only on the Si. The price of 4ws alone in the car's homeland is about $600.

The interior is typical Honda - that is to say, ergonomically excellent without resorting to electronic fun and games. The (purely mechanical) seats offer fore-and-aft, rake, side-bolster, lumbar support and head-restraint adjustments. the clear, easily readable instrument panel is readily visible throgh the tilt-adjustable steering wheel. Auxiliary controls are grouped around the instrument pod; climate controls are mounted in the central console. Everything is high-quality plastic. As one staffer noted, the controls ahve a "million dollar feel." This includes the placement and action of the accelerator, brake and clutch pedals. The people who designed these apparently know how to heel-and-toe downshift. The clutch is hydraulically actuated. attention to detail is apparent everywhere; for example, the seatback release handle is a stirrup of sorts, so it can be actuated by the toe of someone carrying shopping bags. Also, it has a mechanical memory to return to the same rake angle. Even with the stretched wheelbase, the rear seats are best regarded as supplementary trunk space. In a pinch, a third party can sit behind the passenger seat. Otherwise, this is a 2 + 2 in the strictest sense. Outward vision is excellent because of the low hoodline, expansive windshield and slim roof pillars. There is very little noise of buffeting from the open sunroof, even at speed.

We had an opportunity to compare the 4ws Si with its 2ws counterpart. On the road, both cars are quite enjoyable to drive. The 4ws does not make itself apparent until the car is pushed quite hard, bove, say 8/10ths. The steering may feel slower, but it's all in the mind (and in the lack of assist from body yaw), and the car is at least as capable of a quick lane change as the 2ws. Swidpad performance is effectively identical, as one would expect the differences become obvious in the alalom. The 4ws is more then 1.0 mph faster, which in itself is significant; what the numbers don't show is the ease with which the car can be tossed through the cones. The 4ws can actually be steered with the throttle, very unusual in a front-wheel-drive car. The driver has to work much harder to get the 2ws through the slalom, often at the cost of several cones; and when it does get through cleanly, it's slower. The 4ws can be driven harder into corners, and braked later, without fear of the back end getting too light and initiating a spin.

The other forte of 4ws is in low speed: parking-lot maneuvering. The fore-and-aft steerer will get into and out of places with one twist of the steeing wheel, where other cars (which have been given only a bum steer by their makers) will perform several back-and-fill iterations. The feeling of having the back wheels trying to pass the fronts is odd at first, but quickly accommodated.

The suspension is quite competent, feels in control at all times without seeming stiff, and does an excellent job or isolating small bumps, potholes and such.

In other performance departments, the prelude Si reaches 60 mph in 9.3 seconds and the quarter mile in 16.8 seconds, not the fastest in the glass but nothing to be ashamed of either. The car is a bit slow off theline, like many other cars powered by 4-valve engines, in spite of the dual nature of the ntake manifold. It helps to hold some revs and slip the clutch to get away cleanly. Honda's published torque curves indicate that 90 percent of the meximum torque is available at 2200 rpm; it doesn't feel that way. The engine is perfectly happy all the way up to its 7200-rpm cutoff. The gear ratios appear to be chosen for top-speed performance and quiet, low-rpm highway cruising rather than best acceleration. We achieved a true top speed of 127 mph. At that speed, the car is stil well-behaved.

Some staffers felt that the engine sounded "mechanical." This, no doubt, if the result of twincams, four valves, mechanical lifters and a true header exhaust system. In addition, the sporty, rorty exhaust adds to the symphony.

So, the bottom line. That this is an excellent, competent car, there can be no doubt. who will buy it? One person felt that, although the interior is "masculine," a significant proportion of Preludes will be bought by women. It's difficult to define gender in cars; if "masculine" interior is interpreted to mean functional and practical, why shouldn't women drive a machine that does its job well? Not that it matters: Honda will have no problem selling every Prelude it makes. As for the 4ws, is it worth it? As an urban shopping cart, it may be a bit frivolous; but it can save your sheet metal, or even your life, because it is able to move out of harm's way when a 2ws car might well lose control, it's money well spent. The 4ws option is already being offered in Japan, where it is fitted to 80 percent of all Prelude being sold. If Honda should offer an ABS brake system to American buyers in the future, the active safety package for this car will be complete. Remember this Prelude well; in the future, 4ws will be an accepted commonplace feature, as fuel injection, radial tires and, to a lesser extent, ABS brakes are today. In keeping with its name, Honda's Prelude precedes composition by any other maestros.
Old 03-19-2011, 02:06 AM   #8
NOFX
True Luder

And the three page advertisement, as well. 25% size.

Old 03-19-2011, 10:54 PM   #9
Bruised_ego
I am Prelude

Prelude of the Month
sweet! i know the 3g sec. posted a lot of older articles before, like when they compared the 4ws system between mazda and the 3g.

im sure ludcifer or some older members have them somewhere if you're interested.

Old 03-19-2011, 11:15 PM   #10
NOFX
True Luder

If they can tell me the magazines I should buy in order to acquire those articles, that's even better.

Glad you're liking these. I'll keep collecting.

Tuesday a friend of mine is giving me a box (boxes?) of magazines from the 2000s or so as well. I haven't seen them yet, but they're free and I love car magazines!

I really hate that I'm considered a noob now. lol
Old 03-22-2011, 12:40 PM   #11
Bruised_ego
I am Prelude

Prelude of the Month
Amy (yes, we're on a first name basis now lol), I don't know if you've checked WWW.prelude3g.com mustardcat's website has a few articles there.

Also I don't know if you've seen cudaboy's thread. He's looking for a certain article/magazine. Maybe he can provide some info.

Old 03-23-2011, 01:53 AM   #12
NOFX
True Luder

I have seen mustardcat's site before! Very good site. I'd still like to try to collect any magazine with a Prelude article in it though. Plus I like the history (the advertisements are great!) and there's lots of other good articles in them.

I mean, there haven't been too many cars I'd nuts about in the last few years. Reading all these old magazines show all the cars I fell in love with years ago. It's almost like i'm reading about them for the first time all over. The entire magazine really puts you back in that time.

Speaking of magazines, a friend of mine gave me 98 car magazines today. All from 2006-2008 though. Still neat.

Oh, and I posted in cudaboy's thread too. Thanks.
Old 03-23-2011, 09:33 PM   #13
NOFX
True Luder

I can't remember telling you my name. :-/
Old 11-28-2011, 11:33 PM   #14
ludist
Lude Cray

ludist has a spectacular aura aboutludist has a spectacular aura about
Thanks for posting this and other Prelude articles! I remember reading this one shortly after I graduated HS. Then I made my Mom read it, and a few short months later I was begging her for the keys. In 20/20 hindsight, I was totally wrong telling Mom not to get the 4WS because I thought it wouldn't be reliable...

My Dad and Brother both crashed it, but the car wasn't totaled until I crashed it into a snowplow in Jan. '89, a year after she gave it to me. Easy come, easy go!

I may be on the verge of acquiring an '89 4WS, just have to go look at it and drive it... fully loaded right down to the factory six-CD changer in the trunk and the original alloys, original owner (who's a Honda mechanic to boot), 180K miles.

btw, +rep
2206009 (project)
2002 Dodge Cummins 24v 4x4 NV5600 (daily driver)
1995 Dodge Cummins 12v dually (work truck)
1976 BMW R90S, Daytona Orange (grocery getter)
1987 Freightliner FLU-419 SEE (pond digger)
1989 Freightliner FLU-10344 HMMH (crane truck)
1977 GMC 26' Motorhome (huntin' cabin)
1978 VW Scirocco (motorhome dinghy)
ludist is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-03-2011, 02:45 AM   #15
1funryd
Elite Member

1funryd is a jewel in the rough1funryd is a jewel in the rough1funryd is a jewel in the rough1funryd is a jewel in the rough
Send a message via AIM to 1funryd Send a message via MSN to 1funryd Send a message via Yahoo to 1funryd

Quote:
Originally Posted by blacklude95 View Post
Thanks for posting this and other Prelude articles! I remember reading this one shortly after I graduated HS. Then I made my Mom read it, and a few short months later I was begging her for the keys. In 20/20 hindsight, I was totally wrong telling Mom not to get the 4WS because I thought it wouldn't be reliable...

My Dad and Brother both crashed it, but the car wasn't totaled until I crashed it into a snowplow in Jan. '89, a year after she gave it to me. Easy come, easy go!

I may be on the verge of acquiring an '89 4WS, just have to go look at it and drive it... fully loaded right down to the factory six-CD changer in the trunk and the original alloys, original owner (who's a Honda mechanic to boot), 180K miles.

btw, +rep
Yep once you go 3GP you never leave, you will always come back...

Sean

3rd Gen Aftermarket Manager

(Clik Here)
Email:

(1Funryd - H22 Swap) - Ludcifer - INX - MustardCat(B20a)
1funryd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-26-2011, 10:44 PM   #16
Kenyon
Getting Comfortable

Kenyon is on a distinguished road
Classic!!! Love it!
Kenyon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-04-2012, 12:03 PM   #17
tackla

tackla is on a distinguished road
My favorite lude, Nice
tackla is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-06-2015, 09:29 PM   #18
bmv2000
Lude Dude

bmv2000 is on a distinguished road
Always nice to take a peek back and see history. After all if you don't know where you've been how do you know where you're going?
bmv2000 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-09-2016, 04:58 PM   #19
Khoage
Getting Comfortable

Khoage is on a distinguished road
That looks like my car -- Winning!
Khoage is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement