What's this worth to the right buyer? - Honda Prelude Forum : Honda Prelude Forums
Home Forums Albums Garage iTrader Arcade
Register FAQ Insurance Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow Advertise

PreludePower.com is the premier Honda Prelude Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 10-19-2019, 10:31 PM   #1
slowrider87

slowrider87 is on a distinguished road
What's this worth to the right buyer?

Hi I'm new here. I was recently asked to help my grandmother part with her car. Its a yellow 89 Si. Not AWS. All original except the radio. It has been garage kept its entire life and only has 53k. A/C doesn't work (needs to be retrofitted from r12 to r134a). It runs perfectly and the body and interior are in pristine condition. a few knicks, and small scratches but nothing you wouldn't expect on a 30 year old original, and admittedly faded, paint job. Check engine light does come on and code is for "oxygen content B". I'm replacing the O2 sensors tomorrow and if that doesn't fix it i'll diagnose deeper. There is no rush to sell this car, but they want it gone and out of their garage. I don't have the extra money sitting around to buy it from them, or pay insurance on a third car. Otherwise i would keep this in the family. But I got it out of their garage and on my property. And it can sit in my driveway for as long as it has to until someone offers a good price.

I'm posting because i want to know what this car could realistically sell for. KBB doesn't go back that far. It's legally an antique and in it's condition i know is worth more to the right person than KBB quoted for the oldest model they would quote. So i guess my question is what would you guys as prelude enthusiasts pay for it? I won't sell it to some cheap college jackwagon that just needs an A to B daily. It is special to our family and we will hold out until someone who appreciates it will make a fair offer. I have a price in my head. but without disclosing it i want other opinions to see if what i'm thinking is in line with reality. Thanks for any and all input

I will add pictures as soon as i purge my photobucket account of enough BS from my accord forum days to be able to upload them. in the mean time if pictures are desired just PM me a number to text them.
slowrider87 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-20-2019, 05:36 PM   #2
greentrees
Getting Comfortable

greentrees is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowrider87 View Post
Hi I'm new here. I was recently asked to help my grandmother part with her car. Its a yellow 89 Si. Not AWS. All original except the radio. It has been garage kept its entire life and only has 53k. A/C doesn't work (needs to be retrofitted from r12 to r134a). It runs perfectly and the body and interior are in pristine condition. a few knicks, and small scratches but nothing you wouldn't expect on a 30 year old original, and admittedly faded, paint job. Check engine light does come on and code is for "oxygen content B". I'm replacing the O2 sensors tomorrow and if that doesn't fix it i'll diagnose deeper. There is no rush to sell this car, but they want it gone and out of their garage. I don't have the extra money sitting around to buy it from them, or pay insurance on a third car. Otherwise i would keep this in the family. But I got it out of their garage and on my property. And it can sit in my driveway for as long as it has to until someone offers a good price.

I'm posting because i want to know what this car could realistically sell for. KBB doesn't go back that far. It's legally an antique and in it's condition i know is worth more to the right person than KBB quoted for the oldest model they would quote. So i guess my question is what would you guys as prelude enthusiasts pay for it? I won't sell it to some cheap college jackwagon that just needs an A to B daily. It is special to our family and we will hold out until someone who appreciates it will make a fair offer. I have a price in my head. but without disclosing it i want other opinions to see if what i'm thinking is in line with reality. Thanks for any and all input

I will add pictures as soon as i purge my photobucket account of enough BS from my accord forum days to be able to upload them. in the mean time if pictures are desired just PM me a number to text them.
Hey there,

Thanks for posting, it's obvious that you care about the car and your family. This might sound cold or unfeeling...if it does know that it's not meant that way.

The truth is that a car like this has immense nostalgic value to your family but likely not to anyone else. Unless you find someone who had the identical car when they were a teenager and has been searching for a cream puff for years, you're going to have a tough time getting any real money for it. To you it is a low-mileage classic one owner car but to the general public it's a 30 year old carbureted Honda with faded paint, no A/C and a CEL.

If the car is a manual you might get a bit more but if it's an A/T it's a hard sell. That said I hear you about it not going to someone who won't care for it. It's actual "book" value is probably about $600; on a car lot it might retail for $1995 in the condition it's in. Someone like me would pay you $1200 for it, but you likely want triple that or more. That's not an insult, just being realistic about what we think our "baby" is worth versus what someone would actually pay for it.

I've seen a hundred cars just like this - one owner, in great shape but needing several thousand dollars of maintenance/paint to bring them back. It's sad and the owner usually has emotional attachment which makes them think it's worth more than it is....but in the end they sell the car for way less than they hoped for just to get rid of it. And hopefully not to a punk teenager who will destroy it.

My suggestion, if you want to truly sell it to an enthusiast while at the same time get what it's actually worth (which will disappoint you I suspect) is to list it on Bring A Trailer and see what happens.

Good luck! Hope this isn't too disheartening but I'm just being realistic. If it were a true creampuff (paint, A/C, etc.) it would be a different story but you're stuck with an old far-from-perfect car that may be a hard sell.

On that note, being a Honda enthusiast for 30 years now and watching these cars come and go, take this into consideration....and go search B.A.T.'s previous sales for proof...a cream-puff prelude with low mileage might get you $5-$7000 in near showroom shape. That's what you're up against. Think how much money a quality paint job, full A/C rebuild, and whatever else is needed to get it in XC, then add up the numbers and you might have a realistic idea of what it's worth.

I predict craigslist gets you $1800, Bring A Trailer $2500.

Last edited by greentrees; 10-20-2019 at 05:39 PM.
greentrees is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-20-2019, 05:46 PM   #3
greentrees
Getting Comfortable

greentrees is on a distinguished road
Just for fun here are some comps:

'89 5 speed 69k cream puff sold for $6900

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1989-honda-prelude/

'91 5 speed 66k Si XC sold for $4500

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/19...da-prelude-10/

There are many others, just search for "Prelude".
greentrees is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-04-2019, 04:39 AM   #4
lesa66stephens

lesa66stephens is on a distinguished road
that great!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Center
lesa66stephens is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement