Replacing Rear Wheel Bearing - Honda Prelude Forum : Honda Prelude Forums
Home Forums Albums Garage iTrader Arcade
Register FAQ Insurance Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow Advertise

PreludePower.com is the premier Honda Prelude Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 03-22-2007, 10:56 AM   #1
montx
Lude Addict

montx is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to montx
Replacing Rear Wheel Bearing

This is kinda a cheap and non-do-it-yourself article, but I thought I'd post on the procedures that I had to go through to remove the spindle to replace the wheel bearing.

I'll go ahead and go through some of the symptoms of a bad wheel bearings, and how to detect one as well.

Some common noises/sounds:
1. A jet plane in your wheel on the highway
2. A noise only when you're turning in a certain direction.

There's a quick and easy way to diagnose a bad wheel bearing:
Jack the car up around the wheel you suspect. You don't need to remove anything, and while the car is jacked up try and move the wheel side to side. If there is excessive play, you have a wearing wheel bearing, or it has gone bad!

It is wise to fix the problem because if they go bad, there are chances of the wheel coming off, or wobbling horribly while you're driving possibly causing life threating problems.

With this said I drove with a VERY wearing wheel bearing for six months. So... I wasn't safe.

Now to start the procedure.

All that you will need for this is the following:
Some type of ball joint remover, preferably pitman arm puller to save boots
12MM, 14MM, and 17MM sockets
Small mallet
Replacement wheel bearing

1. Remove all the lugnuts and remove tire.
2. Remove brake assembly. There'll be two 12MM bolts holding brake pad assembly, and two 14MM bolts holding the caliper bracket (or as I like to call it). Place the caliper aside, preferably with a string holding it up.
3. Remove tie-rod end with whatever tool you are using. There'll be a 17MM castle nut w/ a cotter pin through it. Then proceed to remove the lower ball joint from the LCA. This is 17MM w/ Castle nut as well. Remove cotter pin, then bang on the direct areas around the ball joints to loosen 'em up if the suspension is stock/old.
4. To save the upper ball joint boot, simply unbolt the upper ball joint from the UCA. There are two 17MM nuts hold it up there.

And voila! you have your spindle off!

Then take the spindle to your local mechanic. I get my stuff pressed in at 12.50+/- a buck. I always tip!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
montx is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-27-2007, 02:59 PM   #2
jdm89ludesi
Lude Boss

jdm89ludesi is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to jdm89ludesi Send a message via Yahoo to jdm89ludesi
Great write-up, sad to see no one's left a comment yet. I think I need this done to mine! I've had this real bad jittery vibration while driving for like 3 months now. Replaced rotors, etc, had alignment, rotated tires and still no luck. However, I do have a bad driveaxle. I'll do the wheel check thing, thanks for the tips!
jdm89ludesi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-27-2007, 04:06 PM   #3
hotsauce
Danny D's second in Command

hotsauce has a spectacular aura abouthotsauce has a spectacular aura about
so i take off the spindle? and take all of it to a shop?????

preludes in
Quote:
fuck you I'm dead I'm not licking a fucking squirrel with your nuts in it's mout!
Quote:
*runs away holding hands over ass*

hotsauce is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2007, 03:02 PM   #4
hotsauce
Danny D's second in Command

hotsauce has a spectacular aura abouthotsauce has a spectacular aura about
anyone????

preludes in
Quote:
fuck you I'm dead I'm not licking a fucking squirrel with your nuts in it's mout!
Quote:
*runs away holding hands over ass*

hotsauce is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-19-2008, 06:52 PM   #5
montx
Lude Addict

montx is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to montx
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotsauce View Post
anyone????
Yes, you actually take the spindle assembly off and take it to the shop The labor should be less than 15/20 dollars. This option was for those who dont have a press in their possession.

montx is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-19-2008, 10:25 PM   #6
LudaPower

LudaPower is a jewel in the roughLudaPower is a jewel in the roughLudaPower is a jewel in the rough

Don't forget to get an alignement done.
LudaPower is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-20-2008, 07:10 PM   #7
tommygunz
Lude Dude

tommygunz is on a distinguished road
specific vehicle this is for?
tommygunz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement