Car wont start? - Honda Prelude Forum : Honda Prelude Forums
Home Forums Albums Garage iTrader Arcade
Register FAQ Insurance Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow Advertise

PreludePower.com is the premier Honda Prelude Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 02-21-2012, 01:02 PM   #1
OmqxChrisz
Getting Comfortable

OmqxChrisz is on a distinguished road
Car wont start?

Can a faulty passenger side multiplex control unit prevent my car from starting?
Can I start it without the unit itself?
OmqxChrisz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-23-2012, 03:29 PM   #2
OmqxChrisz
Getting Comfortable

I replaced that, made no difference. Im clueless! Car wouldn't even start with jumper cables. Took the starter to advanced auto where they told me it was working.

When I turn the key all the gauge lights come on, as well as headlights and radio. But when I turn the key to start, engine doesnt even attempt to crank. No odd noises, I can hear the realys click normally. No blown fuses!! Anyone have an idea what the problem might be???
Old 02-23-2012, 03:30 PM   #3
RomPirate
Lude Boss

RomPirate is a jewel in the roughRomPirate is a jewel in the roughRomPirate is a jewel in the rough
Does the immobilizer light turn on at all? (its a green light with a key in it)

5spd auto?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

RomPirate is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-23-2012, 04:54 PM   #4
OmqxChrisz
Getting Comfortable

Quote:
Originally Posted by RomPirate View Post
Does the immobilizer light turn on at all? (its a green light with a key in it)

5spd auto?
Yes the IL comes on and its a 5spd manual
Old 02-23-2012, 05:14 PM   #5
RomPirate
Lude Boss

RomPirate is a jewel in the roughRomPirate is a jewel in the roughRomPirate is a jewel in the rough
If the IL is flashing, then its clearly an immobilizer problem.

Otherwise, you should try grounding the starter relay manually..

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v6...rcutofffix.jpg

Of course it could be something inbetween, but its pretty simple to do with some wire.

Old 02-23-2012, 06:15 PM   #6
OmqxChrisz
Getting Comfortable

It only comes on when the key is in the ignition with the door open. Its not constantly flashing if thats what u meant?
Old 02-24-2012, 11:30 PM   #7
RomPirate
Lude Boss

Quote:
Originally Posted by OmqxChrisz View Post
It only comes on when the key is in the ignition with the door open. Its not constantly flashing if thats what u meant?
Hmm, are you sure your not talking about the door open light? Its a green light right next to the check engine light. Did you try grounding the starter relay?

Old 02-24-2012, 11:34 PM   #8
realblag
True Luder

realblag is on a distinguished road
Can you roll it off (push start)? If so, your problem is not the immoblizer.

I hep U:

realblag is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-25-2012, 12:24 AM   #9
grushko
Lude Addict

grushko will become famous soon enoughgrushko will become famous soon enough
Ohh! I'm pretty sure that the problem in a cut relay! Check your clutch pedal. On the clutch pedal there is two white pins (and one pin on a brake pedal):
46505-SA5-000 PAD, PEDAL STOPPER
Almost on all preludes usually they just breaks and the clutch switch won't let you start the car. On a clutch pedal there is a two switches - one switch for the cut relay and another one is for the cruise control. The one you have to check located all the way down inside the pedal and you can see it only if the pedal a little pressed, If you will buy that pedal stopper (any honda/acura dealer should have it for couple bucks), take a long flat screwdriver and glue stopper to the screwdriver - that will help you put it back in.
Both generation (4th and 5th) have that problem. But even if that stopper is missed you always can start your car by rolling and putting a gear.
Here is the picture where the pedal contacts the switches:

Little story. Once i was walking from homedepot to my car how i noticed that my brake lights are flashed! I was scared that someone is trying to steal my car. I run over and I stunned, because no one was in it. Then on the floor mat i found a broken white pin, actually few pieces of that pin. Replaced it and the problem goes away. Later i lost my cruise control. I checked everything and after a few months i figured out the the problem in a white pin! Finally I wasn't able to start my car, the engine didn't even crank! Changed the pin and problem solved.
My advce - if the problem is in the pin, but three of them and replace them at one time, if you don't want to follow my route lol

Last edited by grushko; 02-25-2012 at 12:31 AM.
grushko is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-25-2012, 12:40 AM   #10
OmqxChrisz
Getting Comfortable

Quote:
Originally Posted by realblag View Post
Can you roll it off (push start)? If so, your problem is not the immoblizer.
Cant really try to push start, my cars in a tough spot..
Old 02-25-2012, 12:42 AM   #11
OmqxChrisz
Getting Comfortable

Quote:
Originally Posted by grushko View Post
Ohh! I'm pretty sure that the problem in a cut relay! Check your clutch pedal. On the clutch pedal there is two white pins (and one pin on a brake pedal):
46505-SA5-000 PAD, PEDAL STOPPER
Almost on all preludes usually they just breaks and the clutch switch won't let you start the car. On a clutch pedal there is a two switches - one switch for the cut relay and another one is for the cruise control. The one you have to check located all the way down inside the pedal and you can see it only if the pedal a little pressed, If you will buy that pedal stopper (any honda/acura dealer should have it for couple bucks), take a long flat screwdriver and glue stopper to the screwdriver - that will help you put it back in.
Both generation (4th and 5th) have that problem. But even if that stopper is missed you always can start your car by rolling and putting a gear.
Here is the picture where the pedal contacts the switches:

Little story. Once i was walking from homedepot to my car how i noticed that my brake lights are flashed! I was scared that someone is trying to steal my car. I run over and I stunned, because no one was in it. Then on the floor mat i found a broken white pin, actually few pieces of that pin. Replaced it and the problem goes away. Later i lost my cruise control. I checked everything and after a few months i figured out the the problem in a white pin! Finally I wasn't able to start my car, the engine didn't even crank! Changed the pin and problem solved.
My advce - if the problem is in the pin, but three of them and replace them at one time, if you don't want to follow my route lol
Thats interesting cuz my cruise control didnt work either. Ughh this is driving me crazy but im gonna take a look at it tomorrow morning and let you know what I come up with. This sounds possible as my car used to start without having to engage the clutch pedal.
Old 02-26-2012, 03:26 PM   #12
OmqxChrisz
Getting Comfortable

My dad took a look at it and it looks like the neutral safty switch wires came loose so we spliced them together and cars up and running again! But thanks for all the help!
Old 07-13-2015, 10:38 PM   #13
Scout1
Getting Comfortable

Scout1 is on a distinguished road
working on my son's 99 base model with manual. Checking out clutch problems and got under dash found the top clutch interlock switch disconnected and a paperclip in the plug. I assume this was to override the interlock for some reason. The switch checked good with a meter. I disconnected the other switch that is just labeled "clutch switch", what does it do? I also disconnected the brake switch to get at the lock nut on the clutch interlock switch to try and adjust the push rod. We bled the hydraulics and thought to try and start the car to see if it made any difference. I put the jumper back in the clutch interlock plug and put the brake switch back in but left the other"clutch switch" disconnected. I think that switch goes to cruise control and should not affect starting. Now the starter will not work. I turn the key and get dash lights but nothing when I turn to start. Does that other switch need to be connected? started to rain and ran out of time to test it. Otherwise I messed something up. Any clues on what to check?
Scout1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-14-2015, 07:42 PM   #14
Scout1
Getting Comfortable

Scout1 is on a distinguished road
Put everything back together and it starts like it used to, so I didn't cause myself any extra issues. Found out why the PO had a jumper in the clutch switch. The little nylon strike pad is missing. I will take care of that later. decided to go ahead and do replacement on the clutch. thanks for the help.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scout1 View Post
working on my son's 99 base model with manual. Checking out clutch problems and got under dash found the top clutch interlock switch disconnected and a paperclip in the plug. I assume this was to override the interlock for some reason. The switch checked good with a meter. I disconnected the other switch that is just labeled "clutch switch", what does it do? I also disconnected the brake switch to get at the lock nut on the clutch interlock switch to try and adjust the push rod. We bled the hydraulics and thought to try and start the car to see if it made any difference. I put the jumper back in the clutch interlock plug and put the brake switch back in but left the other"clutch switch" disconnected. I think that switch goes to cruise control and should not affect starting. Now the starter will not work. I turn the key and get dash lights but nothing when I turn to start. Does that other switch need to be connected? started to rain and ran out of time to test it. Otherwise I messed something up. Any clues on what to check?
Scout1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-17-2015, 01:39 PM   #15
jay.harris20
Getting Comfortable

jay.harris20 is on a distinguished road
I have been trying to fix the same issue all day! I'm gonna try that clutch switch next, thanks for posting up the pic of it!
jay.harris20 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-17-2015, 01:46 PM   #16
jay.harris20
Getting Comfortable

jay.harris20 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by OmqxChrisz View Post
Thats interesting cuz my cruise control didnt work either. Ughh this is driving me crazy but im gonna take a look at it tomorrow morning and let you know what I come up with. This sounds possible as my car used to start without having to engage the clutch pedal.
I'm having the same issue, my cruise has never worked, and couldn't figure out why. Now my car won't even try to crank. I'm looking at this trying to figure out how to get under there and check that pin lol
jay.harris20 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement