Write-up: 5th gen Rx330 Retrofit - Honda Prelude Forum : Honda Prelude Forums
Home Forums Albums Garage iTrader Arcade
Register FAQ Insurance Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow Advertise

PreludePower.com is the premier Honda Prelude Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 11-06-2009, 10:29 PM   #1
josh_schul
Lude Boss

josh_schul has a spectacular aura aboutjosh_schul has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via AIM to josh_schul
Write-up: 5th gen Rx330 Retrofit

Hey guys! I have been piecing together a retrofit after getting bored with my ebay lights. This is just a simple writeup of a rx330 retro.

RX330 AFS Projectors

I just want to give credit to Jesse and Brian for helping me along the way as well as Jesse for some of his pics and stuff lol.

Parts List (For my exact setup)
You can piece together a kit for well under 400 lol...

Here is your list of parts youre gonna need ... click on the links hahah
- Rx330 AFS Projectors (Best offer about 65 or 70 for the projectors he has taken that much for em for me)

- TSX-R clear lenses (i suggest getting the value lenses saves like 30 bucks and they are in near perfect shape... don't mess with output at all)

- 35w or 55w Hid Ballasts and
D2S Bulb Type (mine are from ebay but... go with some ddm tuning very solid kits. And might i suggest any bulbs in 35w are 4500, 5000 or 6000k and 55w are 5000 6000k or 8000k)

- Mounting Hardware such as bolts and washers and nuts and Some JB Weld

- E46-R Shrouds

So roughly
90-100 for projectors
65 for hid kit
35 for lenses
20 for hardware and misc. items
20- 50 for shrouds ( you can get cheaper on ebay too)

And if you are getting brand new headlights youll have to factor those in too. Depos are like 200ish bnib

Hope that helps...

Step 1: Remove Your Headlights (Borrowed this portion from JLude)
  • Remove the honeycomb grill (2 bolts and a couple plastic clips)
  • Remove the signals and sidemarkers
  • raise the front of the car enough to get under it and take the 6 bolts out that hold the bumper cover from underneath (all bolts are 10mm, use a socket ratcheting wrench)
  • Remove the two phillips-head bolts (8mm) that hold the bumper cover to the wheel well (you may have to pull the black plastic wheel well cover up some to get to this screw)
  • Use two people and slowly work the bumper cover off…there are 2 clips above the side markers that must pop straight out to come off and then it clips under the headlights, pull forward after you get the side clips free and off it comes! Now store it somewhere safe inside!
  • Unbolt the headlights! There are 3 stainless bolts:

7. Unplug the headlight harnesses and Remove the headlights

Now that Headlights are out move to Step 2

Step 2 : Baking w/ Josh

Time to turn on the stove. Preheat your oven to 200 degrees. Here you will need a baking sheet and a cotton towel. Place your headlight on the towel in the oven for 7-9 minutes. Remove the headlights (and sheet w/ towel).

After doing so loosen the clips around the housing and pry the lens free (cut the sealant while doing so).

Step 3 : Removing the Reflector Bowl

After removing the lens, loosen (counter clockwise) the adjustment screws in the headlight alternately until the little ball joint has tension on it. Then use a large flat head screwdriver to pry the ball joint out of it’s socket.

You should be left with this (back shot)

Step 4 : Cutting
MAKE SURE TO WEAR EYE PROTECTION AND A RESPIRATOR !! This stuff is very dusty when cutting and it hurts your eyes and throat. (and yes I'm eating the respirator)

Now that you have your headlight in pieces its time to begin to cut. This is by far the most tedious portion of the retro for me. The only trouble i ran into was during the actual mounting process. You'll want to start off by marking off your initial cut and go from there.

At any point you will want to prep your projectors so just remove any obstructions like so...

Once you have cut out the square you will want to begin to make your cuts for circular and test fit the projector often.

This is what i have accomplished so far (these are roughly mounted with duct tape.

Side note: Be careful when cutting. The first time around i cut a little to large (nothing too bad i can still mount the projector) but practice made perfect and my second bowl was almost perfect.

Step 5 : Mounting

I have not finished mounting yet but i did run into a problem here. With the way i cut i managed to make one of the mounting points directly (like touching) the ball and socket. You will want to cut off the part that the two screws go into to hold the projector together and drill those holes out so that you can insert bolts though them to mount to the reflector. You will want to keep that little extra tab that's sticking out on the bottom corner, drill a hole through it and use it as a 3rd mounting tab
will attempt to find my way around this problem asap. More to come tomorrow!!

Mounting the lights is fairly simple... you just want to make sure when you are drilling the mount holes that you are keeping the projector level.
Bolt the projector to the reflector…I’d recommend that you put some little springs between the reflector and the bolt holes on the lens holder to keep tension so they don’t shift or get loose. Set the flat bottom of the reflector on a flat surface and then look at the bottom of the projector and make sure the projector is rotationally aligned and then use the lines on the bottom of the high beam reflector to make sure it sits straight and no pointing off right or left. Then sit the reflector on a flat surface and make sure it is pointing out flat and not pointed up or down. (right/left and up/down can be adjusted on the car but rotational alignment cannot so it must be perfect at this phase…for the best alignment you should test the projectors on the car for proper aiming before permanently bolting them to the reflectors:

Here are pics of my mounting positions...

After you have the mounting position nice and level and are absolutely positive... you can opt to use some JB weld to hold the projector so it doesn't rotate or shake loose.

Here are some cutoff shots... of the mounted lights.

Rx330 Lens

TSX-R Clear Lens (Using the Rx330 Lens Spacer)

After you have the projector permanently mounted i chose to use a shroud so mounting that would be key. Here is my e46 shroud all mounted up (silicon and or JB weld will do)

Final Steps!! Reseal and Reinstall

Well... the final steps are rather simple. After all of your adhesives and paints and what have you dry (allow about a day), you simply reseal the headlights (reverse the baking step) and then there you have it. A nice retro.

Time for pics ...

'

Final Output (only one headlight) w/ the sealed headlight

Side Note:

well due to lack of important parts i test mounted the projectors today... everything bolted up fine.

Oh looks like my custom shroud was fail. Too big. Oh well just gonna bite the bullet and get some e46 shrouds.

So lacking parts i decided to paint! Satin Black housing, high heat flat black low beam bowl, and projector.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

BB Squad #62 (v.2)
OT Whorezore!!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

BIG MIKE-
-Frank

Last edited by josh_schul; 03-22-2010 at 01:03 PM.
josh_schul is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-06-2009, 10:34 PM   #2
dreamreaperx
Lude Boss

dreamreaperx will become famous soon enoughdreamreaperx will become famous soon enough
damn, i was expecting to see the full write up. you just turned it into a 2 part suspense thriller...good luck with it though...i'm dying to do the same, just gotta start piecing it all together

My Build thread:

dreamreaperx is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-06-2009, 10:36 PM   #3
josh_schul
Lude Boss

HAHAHa Got Ya... it might be a 3 part thriller... because Matt at trs hasnt shipped my clear lenses and my d2s adapters yet and he left for SEMA lol .... so i probably wont get to actually install the lights and aim them until next weekend.

But somethings better than nothing. lol

BB Squad #62 (v.2)
OT Whorezore!!!

BIG MIKE-
-Frank
Old 11-06-2009, 10:47 PM   #4
dreamreaperx
Lude Boss

dreamreaperx will become famous soon enoughdreamreaperx will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by josh_schul View Post
HAHAHa Got Ya... it might be a 3 part thriller... because Matt at trs hasnt shipped my clear lenses and my d2s adapters yet and he left for SEMA lol .... so i probably wont get to actually install the lights and aim them until next weekend.

But somethings better than nothing. lol
aw it's not even a day to day series? now it's one of those shows that you have to wait once a week for the next new one to come on...is this your first attempt, or have you tried before?

My Build thread:

dreamreaperx is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-06-2009, 11:29 PM   #5
Darren's 01 SH
I am Prelude

Darren's 01 SH is a name known to allDarren's 01 SH is a name known to allDarren's 01 SH is a name known to allDarren's 01 SH is a name known to allDarren's 01 SH is a name known to allDarren's 01 SH is a name known to all
Good stuff Josh. DIY FTW. I was going to try and retrofit mine, but I got e55s and Jlude and Brian said its tricky for a first retro so I had Brian do them. I have my stock lights sitting around I think I might try some TSX retros on my own.

Keep up the good work and remember cut a little bit at a time and test fit the projectors many times. If you cut too much there wont be a sturdy surface for the projector to mount to.
Darren's 01 SH is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-06-2009, 11:58 PM   #6
Shimee
Abscissa & Ordinate

Shimee has much to be proud ofShimee has much to be proud ofShimee has much to be proud ofShimee has much to be proud ofShimee has much to be proud ofShimee has much to be proud ofShimee has much to be proud ofShimee has much to be proud of
The ironic thing is that I did the same exact thing tonight. Baked apart my depo's and out out my temporary lights to use for the next month or so while I get my bezels, LED ring thing, and projectors out of my friends headlights.

Click to see my >>

> replica foglights, footwell lights, temperature cable fix, EDM rear fogs, Morimoto projectors, replica fogs, and more!
Shimee is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-07-2009, 12:02 AM   #7
BlkLUDE5G
I am Prelude

BlkLUDE5G is a jewel in the roughBlkLUDE5G is a jewel in the roughBlkLUDE5G is a jewel in the rough
nice and detailed so far! keep it up

BlkLUDE5G is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-07-2009, 01:13 AM   #8
LEGiTLUDA
Ludacious

LEGiTLUDA will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shimee View Post
The ironic thing is that I did the same exact thing tonight. Baked apart my depo's and out out my temporary lights to use for the next month or so while I get my bezels, LED ring thing, and projectors out of my friends headlights.
whats ur set up??

Ima do mine later this month when school is not busy.
S2K projectors + FX shrouds + DDMtuning HID kits

LEGiTLUDA is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-07-2009, 01:59 AM   #9
Shimee
Abscissa & Ordinate

Shimee has much to be proud ofShimee has much to be proud ofShimee has much to be proud ofShimee has much to be proud ofShimee has much to be proud ofShimee has much to be proud ofShimee has much to be proud ofShimee has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by LEGiTLUDA View Post
whats ur set up??

Ima do mine later this month when school is not busy.
S2K projectors + FX shrouds + DDMtuning HID kits
Wish I knew about DDM. Wouldn't have bothered with fucking DiodeDynamics in that case.

Anyway. I'm doing Valeo projectors out of an A4 + apollo shrouds + already have HID kits from DiodeDynamics so I'm just gonna buy new bulbs to mate with the projectors.

Click to see my >>

> replica foglights, footwell lights, temperature cable fix, EDM rear fogs, Morimoto projectors, replica fogs, and more!
Old 11-07-2009, 02:58 AM   #10
LEGiTLUDA
Ludacious

LEGiTLUDA will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Wish I knew about DDM. Wouldn't have bothered with fucking DiodeDynamics in that case.

Anyway. I'm doing Valeo projectors out of an A4 + apollo shrouds + already have HID kits from DiodeDynamics so I'm just gonna buy new bulbs to mate with the projectors.
yea, most the guys from hidplanet recommend ddm tuning over other aftermarket kit. I was thinking of getting Retro Solution kit but the price is outrageous at about $160. I rather buy OEM ballasts and Philips 85122 bulbs with that. But DDM is good for now til I upgrade my bulbs

LEGiTLUDA is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-07-2009, 02:34 PM   #11
josh_schul
Lude Boss

edited... added the cutting section...

will mount tomorrow.

don't know when the rest will be finished... have to wait for more parts from TRS.

BB Squad #62 (v.2)
OT Whorezore!!!

BIG MIKE-
-Frank
Old 11-07-2009, 05:17 PM   #12
LooneySh22
Ludacious

LooneySh22 is on a distinguished road
fuck man, those look like they just slide in. my g37 projectors were a disaster and the 3" lense didnt make it easy for the bezel to be positioned either. this looks like an easy as hell retro. and square not oval like mine. but looking good so far.

^what PP is all about.

LooneySh22 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-07-2009, 06:20 PM   #13
josh_schul
Lude Boss

haha thanks man... they will get test mounted tomorrow!

BB Squad #62 (v.2)
OT Whorezore!!!

BIG MIKE-
-Frank
Old 11-07-2009, 09:17 PM   #14
toast
Fuuuuuuuu

toast has a spectacular aura abouttoast has a spectacular aura abouttoast has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via Yahoo to toast

Looking good so far.
toast is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-07-2009, 10:12 PM   #15
josh_schul
Lude Boss

thanks toasty!

BB Squad #62 (v.2)
OT Whorezore!!!

BIG MIKE-
-Frank
Old 11-08-2009, 09:15 AM   #16
Toxxic
Prelude Aficionado

Toxxic is a jewel in the roughToxxic is a jewel in the roughToxxic is a jewel in the rough

Prelude of the Month
rather sexy.... yet another thing i may end up doing in the future with mine.

can we be twins?

the 3g

My 5g build thread-

The Corrado vr6-T build-

Toxxic is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-08-2009, 12:16 PM   #17
josh_schul
Lude Boss

indeed i def wouldnt mind lol...

well due to lack of important parts i test mounted the projectors today... everything bolted up fine.

Oh looks like my custom shroud was fail. Too big. Oh well just gonna bite the bullet and get some e46 shrouds.

So lacking parts i decided to paint! Satin Black housing, high heat flat black low beam bowl, and projector.

BB Squad #62 (v.2)
OT Whorezore!!!

BIG MIKE-
-Frank
Old 11-08-2009, 07:37 PM   #18
BlkLUDE5G
I am Prelude

BlkLUDE5G is a jewel in the roughBlkLUDE5G is a jewel in the roughBlkLUDE5G is a jewel in the rough
nice job on the paint!

BlkLUDE5G is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-08-2009, 07:50 PM   #19
josh_schul
Lude Boss

thanks!

BB Squad #62 (v.2)
OT Whorezore!!!

BIG MIKE-
-Frank
Old 11-08-2009, 08:02 PM   #20
ethereal2pt2
I am Prelude

ethereal2pt2 will become famous soon enoughethereal2pt2 will become famous soon enough
this is becoming more of a tease thread rather than a diy! good work though.

"Getting a good girl is like getting a good parking spot. All the good ones are taken and the only ones left are handicap."
ethereal2pt2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-08-2009, 08:20 PM   #21
Shimee
Abscissa & Ordinate

Quote:
Gotta test aim as well. Might bolt up fine but your projectors may not be level and the cutoff will look all fail and stuff. Also, close-ups of the mount holes and how you're mounting it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethereal2pt2 View Post
this is becoming more of a tease thread rather than a diy! good work though.
Ya. Can we have a thread like this but with your girlfriend?

Click to see my >>

Old 11-08-2009, 08:26 PM   #22
prelude1897
RHD Pimpin

prelude1897 is a jewel in the roughprelude1897 is a jewel in the roughprelude1897 is a jewel in the rough
Send a message via AIM to prelude1897
Quote:
LOL

98 Prelude-Parts Car-SOLD
97 Prelude-RHD project#2
99 Prelude-Parts car-SOLD
99 Prelude-Parts car-SOLD
01 Prelude-Parts car-SOLD
94 Prelude-VTEC status-Traded
98 Prelude-traded for 94 prelude
97 Prelude-Parts car-SOLD
97 Prelude-Parts car-SOLD

Retrofit Service PM me

prelude1897 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-08-2009, 08:40 PM   #23
josh_schul
Lude Boss

Quote:
Gotta test aim as well. Might bolt up fine but your projectors may not be level and the cutoff will look all fail and stuff. Also, close-ups of the mount holes and how you're mounting it.

Thanks Guys.

Lol... i know... hence i test mounted them... but due to lack of parts... aka clear lenses and my d2s adapter not shots... and i will get close ups next weekend when erythings done.

Lol

BB Squad #62 (v.2)
OT Whorezore!!!

BIG MIKE-
-Frank
Old 11-08-2009, 08:53 PM   #24
Shimee
Abscissa & Ordinate

Quote:
Quote:
and i will get close ups next weekend when erythings done.

Lol

Yes!

Click to see my >>

Old 11-08-2009, 08:58 PM   #25
Blk BB1
IBALLHARD

Blk BB1 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Blk BB1

^lollololol

"Questions are the creative acts of intelligence."

<<<< megan fox is HOOOOOTTT

Blk BB1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement