Was this helpful?

• Yes, very helpful indeed!

Votes: 159 97.0%
  • No, it was a huge waste of my life =[

Votes: 5 3.0%

WRITEUP: Fix that infamous bumper sag for good

86K views 160 replies 79 participants last post by  Alpine 8080 
#1 · (Edited)
I'm sure everyone knows about the infamous 5g bumper sag. you know the one where the front bumper starts to sag like your wife's teets over time. jk. but anyhow, apparently there has been many attempts as to how to fix this little problem, but i've got the fastest, easiest, cheapest and most importantly, proven method of fixing it. it is rather simple. i feel a bit stupid for posting this but i'm tired of saying it to one person at a time. i didn't take as many pictures as i normally do. i hope you guys are smart enough to figure out the small details i left out or didn't photograph. with that said, here we go.

Parts needed:
4-8 washers - yep, that's all you need

Tools needed:

flathead screwdriver
philips screwdriver
racket wrench
10/12mm socket
socket wrench extension *thanks borcth*

Instructions:

1) Remove front bumper. http://www.preludeonline.com/f89/write-up-remove-bumper-fender-door-pics-132194/

rapid 6 pump jack ftmfw!

ouch! poor bumper

2) Remove turn signals and parking lights.

3) Remove rebar (reinforcement bar). There should be 3 on each side.

don't forget the one inside!

4) Add 1 washer to the 4 bottom bolts.

5) Test fitment.

Optional:

6) Add an extra washer to each bottom bolt if you need. i only needed one for each.

Now sit back and enjoy your prelude that no longer suffers the dreaded bumper sag.

*edit* this is a picture of her post-accident, aka new paint, new front bumper. the bumper is no longer scooted up front. PERFECT FITMENT. virtually no gap now. *edit*

i know what you guys are thinking, "wow mike! that was stupid easy!" hate to say it but i told you so.

enjoy,
Mike

See less See more
#2 ·
you got a before pic of your gap? nice jack :) not so nice of a front bumper though

#3 ·
no i don't have a before pic. to be honest, while i did take these pictures today, i didn't bother taking off the rebar. i did this "mod" over 3 years ago. lemme fish up something if i can find any. i got a new bumper chillin' in my room. i need money to paint it along w/ my new fender.

#10 ·
#6 ·
Ah!... simple just push the bumper up some with some washer as shims. Nice!!

#11 ·
nice and simple fix...

I've seen another fix that deals with that plastic piece right next to the headlight, under the forward tip of the fender. by adding a metal piece to it

but this, IMO, is much easier

#14 ·
wow i'm surprised no one else has done this? i figured everyone did it this way. well i'm glad you guys found this helpful. looks like my first diy was successful. if you could even call it that.

#20 ·
#25 ·
hahaha.. yeah i've delayed those for the longest time. something always gets in the way. and i'm still undecided with the TSX projectors. i love them, but they are bulky and i'm really a picky aesthetic. we'll see
hmm... jdm bumper support is different, just notice it
really? post a pic, i'd liek to see.
Sweet. I'm actually surprised on how simple you realized it would be and made it.
I'll do this if ever my bumper starts to sag :D
That jack is awesome btw.. I'm hoping to get the same one sooner or later.
told you guys it was simple and easy. that jack is the shit. only problem, i'm a small dude so i gotta jump on that sucker to get those last cranks out. lol
Wow... what a simple solution. Looks great! I might try it out soon.
best of all, it probably wont cost you anything if you can find those washers laying around the house.

#31 ·
oh btw guys. for those who've done it. can you guys post pics? like a before and after shot would be nice. you know, for those who have yet to do it. thanks again and i'm glad this actually was worth posting.

edit: thanks for all the rep points. i'll try to contribute stuff like this to the board in the future.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.