First Lude upgrades - Honda Prelude Forum : Honda Prelude Forums
Home Forums Albums Garage iTrader Arcade
Register FAQ Insurance Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow Advertise

PreludePower.com is the premier Honda Prelude Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 07-30-2018, 08:26 PM   #1
BriarAM

BriarAM is on a distinguished road
First Lude upgrades

So a couple weeks ago i bought a 1997 Base Prelude.... Automatic. I know I know, I've been told countless times to avoid the auto like the plague. But Preludes in running condition are few and far between in my location. My question is though, what can i do to get it as a comfortable and kinda sporty daily? I know I'm not going to get crazy performance out of it but i want something fun to drive and reliable until i can afford and find a (hopefully) type sh. Any and all recommendations and resource will be appreciated!
BriarAM is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-31-2018, 06:55 AM   #2
Wing8806
Faptastic
Curveball Champion, Alien Clones Champion

Wing8806 is a name known to allWing8806 is a name known to allWing8806 is a name known to allWing8806 is a name known to allWing8806 is a name known to allWing8806 is a name known to all
Honestly, keep it modification free and enjoy it.

As much as the mod bug may have bit you (especially in this case) - don't modify a car you don't plan on keeping. Certainly don't modify your daily driver.

These cars in stock form are great, and many of us that have go above and beyond in modifying them will probably tell you to keep it stock as long as possible.
Wing8806 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-31-2018, 01:15 PM   #3
GFloBb6
Lude Dude

GFloBb6 is on a distinguished road
I second that ^^

Yeah just keep it stock engine wise, my Lude was kept all stock and the tranny still took a dump, like you said if you’re driving it to get you around until you find a better one that’s manual then definitely just take care of whatever it needs and don’t beat on it,

As far as upgrades to make it drive better i’d take a look at your suspension mainly the bushings, we have decently old cars so it wouldn’t be surprising to see most of the bushings and ball joints crusty and dried up, replace those that look bad (if there is any) and it’ll make it feel and steer better, it can be cheap too if you do the work yourself, if you really are looking for a manual Lude in the future you could possibly buy some coilovers for it too, then when it comes time to switch cars you could put the stock susp. back in (probably just with base models, idk how compatible a SH is) just an idea though, another possible “mod” could be a strut-tower bar, it provides a small change but it only makes a difference during hard-cornering , just some ideas

*side note* a automatic H22 isn’t worth modding anyways, the acceleration is KILLED by the looooong gears of the auto, in the 1/4 mile alone it can be over a whole Second slower than the manual (which is a BIG difference) and if you’ve driven a manual and auto back to back there’s a huge difference in how it feels in power
GFloBb6 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-01-2018, 04:13 AM   #4
BriarAM

BriarAM is on a distinguished road
This is kind of what I meant, I should have been more specific that's my bad. Right now its in what id say is fair condition but that's what happens when you spend 1100 bucks on a car. It rides pretty hard, i know there are suspension components that need replaced and then it needs some exhaust work and some other here and there things. Its not a bad car it just needs some tlc. So i guess more specifically what kind of small things would you do to increase resale value, comfort-ability, etc. Maybe small things that just work better with an alternate part or anything like that.
Also, side-note, I almost exclusively use the "manual" auto-stick function when I'm driving. Is the transmission known to handle that very well? I just get annoyed by the long gearing and find it to shift better when I do it myself.
Old 08-01-2018, 09:41 AM   #5
GFloBb6
Lude Dude

GFloBb6 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by BriarAM View Post
This is kind of what I meant, I should have been more specific that's my bad. Right now its in what id say is fair condition but that's what happens when you spend 1100 bucks on a car. It rides pretty hard, i know there are suspension components that need replaced and then it needs some exhaust work and some other here and there things. Its not a bad car it just needs some tlc. So i guess more specifically what kind of small things would you do to increase resale value, comfort-ability, etc. Maybe small things that just work better with an alternate part or anything like that.
Also, side-note, I almost exclusively use the "manual" auto-stick function when I'm driving. Is the transmission known to handle that very well? I just get annoyed by the long gearing and find it to shift better when I do it myself.
I wouldn’t recommend using it a lot, getting Up to speed is kinda fine, but i wouldn’t be downshifting a lot with it, if you’ve ever downshifted with it you’ll probably feel the car jerk back, which isn’t good for the transmission at all, i personally would keep it in Drive (D4) and just keep it there, also it’ll give you better gas milage keeping it in drive(corresponding to your throttle), but yeah sometimes it is more fun to “shift” gears yourself, i used to time to time getting up to speed and around corners but it will stay more reliable keeping it in drive
GFloBb6 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-02-2018, 07:41 AM   #6
aajj1987

aajj1987 is on a distinguished road
First mods.

Just my suggestion. Get you a good flowing intake and a good exhaust. may not be just for performance but should help with mpg as well. mine did when i got rid of my converter a bunch. i just drive mine back and fourth to work.
aajj1987 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement