..::: 5th Gen Newbie - Q&A Thread :::.. (New Members, PLEASE CLICK HERE) - Page 204 - Honda Prelude Forum : Honda Prelude Forums
Home Forums Albums Garage iTrader Arcade
Register FAQ Insurance Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow Advertise

PreludePower.com is the premier Honda Prelude Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 12-28-2017, 02:49 AM   #5076
tht_prelude_guy

tht_prelude_guy is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by olddudelude View Post
So you are saying when turning you lost all steering? Wheel just turned? Locked up?
thats a quote from the NHTSA website for the prelude it don't seem my screenshots are uploading correctly to this website.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wing8806 View Post
So, you expect Honda to cover your 20 year old transmission. You're not even the original owner, and purchased a $500 car. Sorry, but you would need one hell of a good lawyer to go against Honda with any sort of claim. It is your fault for not researching before buying a car. Cry all you want, but this is not the place for it.
No crying. I am using the best lawyer in Alabama Morgan & Morgan. They stated it is Negligence due to Honda and dealerships knowing about the issues and doing nothing.

Last edited by Wing8806; 12-28-2017 at 01:28 PM.
tht_prelude_guy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-28-2017, 03:04 AM   #5077
olddudelude
Lude Addict

olddudelude is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by tht_prelude_guy View Post
thats a quote from the NHTSA website for the prelude it don't seem my screenshots are uploading correctly to this website.

Ya most can't see attachments here. The one number is for a ball joint recall. Didn't answer the questions either.

You said you, "LOSE ALL POWER AND STEERING WHILE TURNING THROUGH AN INTERSECTION, AND LOSE POWER AND STEERING WHILE GOING 55 MPH DOWN THE HIGHWAY."

I've reread what I wrote and I sound rude. If it helps mine burns oil with 145k. I still love it and it is resting in a 60f garage till spring.

Last edited by olddudelude; 12-28-2017 at 03:23 AM.
olddudelude is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-28-2017, 12:26 PM   #5078
Wing8806
Faptastic
Curveball Champion, Alien Clones Champion

Wing8806 is a name known to allWing8806 is a name known to allWing8806 is a name known to allWing8806 is a name known to allWing8806 is a name known to allWing8806 is a name known to all
Quote:
It was 550 bucks with a slung rod. traded my 92,94 prelude for a JDM H22a with under 30k miles. Had no idea anything about 5th gens when I got it nor did I know the transmission was bad. It was driven for only about 7 years parked in 05 when the motor slung a rod. I brought it back in 2016. only has 183,553 miles that's pretty low to be having these sort of severe problems. As to them replacing them. The parts are defective and a safety hazard. There have been multiple cases where the ignition interlock has causes rollaway wrecks. same for the transmission disengaging. Hell ive had mine do it in the middle of a intersection. I believe there is no time frame when it comes to the safety of a human life. I bet a court would agree. I wasn't even old enough to drive, about 6 years old when those so called bulletins went out they cant expect everyone to see that stuff in there time frames. I'm also the second owner of the vehicle.
So, you expect Honda to cover your 20 year old transmission. You're not even the original owner, and purchased a $500 car. Sorry, but you would need one hell of a good lawyer to go against Honda with any sort of claim. It is your fault for not researching before buying a car. Cry all you want, but this is not the place for it.
Wing8806 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-28-2017, 01:26 PM   #5079
Wing8806
Faptastic

Wing8806 is a name known to allWing8806 is a name known to allWing8806 is a name known to allWing8806 is a name known to allWing8806 is a name known to allWing8806 is a name known to all
Quote:
No crying. I am using the best lawyer in Alabama Morgan & Morgan. They stated it is Negligence due to Honda and dealerships knowing about the issues and doing nothing.
Honda has contacted owners about their issues. Because the previous owner neglected to maintain the vehicle or have the issues resolved and you got stuck with a $500 paperweight does not mean it's court worthy. The car is beyond its life expectancy. Had it been a newer car, this would be easily resolved.

I'm taking your repeated posts and merging them, this is a warning.
Old 01-29-2018, 04:38 AM   #5080
MastaDoza

MastaDoza is on a distinguished road
What's the best way to clean up the oil in hard to reach spots like near the oil filter? I had an oil cooler leak that drenched everything.

And I'm contemplating replacing most of the hoses (for peace of mind) and to check and replace things before they go out. Is there any specific brands or hoses/clamps I should be looking at?
MastaDoza is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-30-2018, 09:08 AM   #5081
Wing8806
Faptastic

Quote:
Originally Posted by MastaDoza View Post
What's the best way to clean up the oil in hard to reach spots like near the oil filter? I had an oil cooler leak that drenched everything.

And I'm contemplating replacing most of the hoses (for peace of mind) and to check and replace things before they go out. Is there any specific brands or hoses/clamps I should be looking at?

Your typical degreaser and some water.

I personally stick to Honda parts vs aftermarket. Gates products are well made, but can't vouch for fitment as i've only installed a few on friends cars.
Old 02-15-2018, 08:13 AM   #5082
carpetflyer88
Getting Comfortable

carpetflyer88 is on a distinguished road
Bought a 48K all stock 2000 Honda Prelude. I'm hearing a slight rattling sound from the engine bay. It still has the original timing belt and auto tensioner. I read in other posts that's what's likely causing the sound and both need to be replaced.

1. As far as solutions, I've come across buying a manual tensioner by KSTuned or converting to a H23 set up. Which is the better route to take?

2. KSTuned has an option to buy the tensioner with a Gates timing belt. Are Gates belts as durable as OEM.

Thanks in advance.
carpetflyer88 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-15-2018, 08:16 AM   #5083
carpetflyer88
Getting Comfortable

carpetflyer88 is on a distinguished road
Bought a 48K all stock 2000 Honda Prelude. I'm hearing a slight scratching rattling sound from the engine bay. I hear it when accelerating and even when I'm off the gas. It still has the original timing belt and auto tensioner and I read in other posts that's what's likely causing the sound and both need to be replaced.

1. As far as solutions, I've come across buying a manual tensioner by KSTuned or converting to a H23 set up. Which is the better route to take?

2. KSTuned has an option to buy the tensioner with a Gates timing belt. Are Gates belts as durable as OEM.

Thanks in advance.
carpetflyer88 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-17-2018, 02:59 AM   #5084
alexacm

alexacm is on a distinguished road
looking for parts

I'm looking for some mugen rears for my bumper. Anyone in the community have a mold/ make them/ have any for sale?

cheers-
alexacm is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-18-2018, 10:09 PM   #5085
Wing8806
Faptastic

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexacm View Post
I'm looking for some mugen rears for my bumper. Anyone in the community have a mold/ make them/ have any for sale?

cheers-
They pop up time to time on here and ebay (both real and replicas). You can also find replicas still, they don't go by "Mugen" of course but "Type M" as they are not genuine. I actually sold a set just a few months ago.
Old 02-18-2018, 10:11 PM   #5086
Wing8806
Faptastic

Quote:
Originally Posted by carpetflyer88 View Post
Bought a 48K all stock 2000 Honda Prelude. I'm hearing a slight scratching rattling sound from the engine bay. I hear it when accelerating and even when I'm off the gas. It still has the original timing belt and auto tensioner and I read in other posts that's what's likely causing the sound and both need to be replaced.

Thanks in advance.

Yes, Gates belts are just as good as OEM.

You can use an auto-tensioner from HONDA, they have long since been revised and have no issues. Just don't trust aftermarket auto tensioners.

Your noise could be anything, I recommend having a mechanic take a look at it. However your timing belt is beyond it's recommended service limit - so worth doing anyway.
Old 02-21-2018, 03:45 PM   #5087
LeoType_R

LeoType_R is on a distinguished road
New to the forums, Prelude owner for 3 years now. Converting SH TO BASE.

Hey fam, I'm new to prelude power. I own a 2001 Honda Prelude Type SH MT. I can honestly say this car made me a Honda Head lol. I use t own an Acura Integra but sold it many years ago. But that was before I was into cars as much as I am into them today. Anyone have any experience converting the SH to a base? I know I definitely need a base h22 block and tranny. I'm just wondering what other key parts do I need? I had no idea the mounts on the SH were different compared to the base model..I was easily able to locate a stock H22 base block from Hmotors online. I even fond good blocks on ebay motos. So that is what i'm going to buy first. The block, I will purchase the 5 speed trans after. I don't want to stay SH for the fact that I know the atts is pretty much dead weight.

So here's a list of what I think I need. If anyone can help me add to this I'd be really appreciative.

SH to base conversion

-H22 base block
-Base 5MT
-shift linkage?
-Mounts?
-ecu?
-Any motor parts such as oil pump/ cooler?
-Axels?
-intermediate shaft?
-?
LeoType_R is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-24-2018, 10:30 AM   #5088
jjz3
Getting Comfortable

jjz3 is on a distinguished road
Hey all I have a noob question. It's my understanding that the 2000 and 2001 automatic prelude transmissions are warrantied to 100k. That is regardless of whether it's the original owner rather the product itself. I just want to confirm this. Also curious if there's any disqualifying factors like salvage title etc? I'll contact Honda too, thanks!
jjz3 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-27-2018, 09:59 PM   #5089
Wing8806
Faptastic

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeoType_R View Post
Hey fam, I'm new to prelude power. I own a 2001 Honda Prelude Type SH MT. I can honestly say this car made me a Honda Head lol. I use t own an Acura Integra but sold it many years ago. But that was before I was into cars as much as I am into them today. Anyone have any experience converting the SH to a base? I know I definitely need a base h22 block and tranny. I'm just wondering what other key parts do I need? I had no idea the mounts on the SH were different compared to the base model..I was easily able to locate a stock H22 base block from Hmotors online. I even fond good blocks on ebay motos. So that is what i'm going to buy first. The block, I will purchase the 5 speed trans after. I don't want to stay SH for the fact that I know the atts is pretty much dead weight.

So here's a list of what I think I need. If anyone can help me add to this I'd be really appreciative.

SH to base conversion

-H22 base block
-Base 5MT
-shift linkage?
-Mounts?
-ecu?
-Any motor parts such as oil pump/ cooler?
-Axels?
-intermediate shaft?
-?
Why not just remove the ATTS unit and transmission vs doing an entire block?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjz3 View Post
Hey all I have a noob question. It's my understanding that the 2000 and 2001 automatic prelude transmissions are warrantied to 100k. That is regardless of whether it's the original owner rather the product itself. I just want to confirm this. Also curious if there's any disqualifying factors like salvage title etc? I'll contact Honda too, thanks!
There is always a limit of some sort. In this case, here is the wording directly from the service bulletin:

In certain vehicles, a higher than normal number of
automatic transmissions may have defects in material
or workmanship that could cause premature wear or
failure. To ensure that customers have adequate
warranty coverage, American Honda is increasing the
warranty on the transmission and the torque converter
to 93 months (7 years and 9 months) or 109,000 miles,
whichever occurs first.

- So you are out of warranty by at least 10 years.
Old 02-28-2018, 02:15 PM   #5090
jjz3
Getting Comfortable

jjz3 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Why not just remove the ATTS unit and transmission vs doing an entire block?

There is always a limit of some sort. In this case, here is the wording directly from the service bulletin:

In certain vehicles, a higher than normal number of
automatic transmissions may have defects in material
or workmanship that could cause premature wear or
failure. To ensure that customers have adequate
warranty coverage, American Honda is increasing the
warranty on the transmission and the torque converter
to 93 months (7 years and 9 months) or 109,000 miles,
whichever occurs first.

- So you are out of warranty by at least 10 years.
Haha that sucks! I thought the idea of such a warranty sounded odd. Thank you
jjz3 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-14-2018, 06:26 PM   #5091
PreludeFanboy123

PreludeFanboy123 is on a distinguished road
Should I buy this prelude or not?

Hi, I posted a ad on Kijiji for a Honda Civic, but this guy messages me telling me his Honda Prelude. The car has been left outside in Canadian weather for ~5 years and never touched again. It does not run and looks pretty beat up from the exterior, I was wondering If I should buy this car. It is a 1hour and 30 min drive away from my place and we negotiated to 300 cad. I have a mechanic friend but hes been busy recently and he told me not to buy it but im willing to take this risk. Here are a few pictures. Opinions?

I also don't know what year and what type of prelude this is; I dont know much about cars.
PreludeFanboy123 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-14-2018, 07:48 PM   #5092
Wing8806
Faptastic

I believe I may have seen someone post that car on Facebook. it's a 92-96 4th gen Prelude

Let it stay in that field. It will eat you alive in repairs if it's been sitting there as long as the owner says. Just by looking at the exterior - it will need a good amount of cosmetic repairs and an unknowing amount of rust removal on the underside from sitting in a field.
Old 03-14-2018, 08:22 PM   #5093
PreludeFanboy123

Quote:
I believe I may have seen someone post that car on Facebook. it's a 92-96 4th gen Prelude

Let it stay in that field. It will eat you alive in repairs if it's been sitting there as long as the owner says. Just by looking at the exterior - it will need a good amount of cosmetic repairs and an unknowing amount of rust removal on the underside from sitting in a field.
How much would you think it would cost for the repairs?
Old 03-14-2018, 08:28 PM   #5094
PreludeFanboy123

Should I atleast take a look at it in person or no? I really want to get this car
Old 03-15-2018, 07:05 AM   #5095
Wing8806
Faptastic

Quote:
Originally Posted by PreludeFanboy123 View Post
Should I atleast take a look at it in person or no? I really want to get this car
Entirely up to you. Impossible to determine exactly how much work is needed and what the end cost could be.

If you want a project, go for it. But there are other running cars out there for sale.
Old 03-18-2018, 05:43 PM   #5096
Lude1997
Getting Comfortable

Lude1997 is on a distinguished road
im a pretty big noob when it come to swaps so if anyone can give me some help that would be great,

I have a 5th gen lude and going to get a euro r swap , I have done tons of reading on doing it with the euro r ecu but recently found out it has a speed governor built into ecu .

I have tried to find information regarding a obd2 to obd1 conversion but this topic seems to be lacking in info, other than the obvious distributor change and rywire conversion harness and either p28,or p72 ecu with conversion harness, what exactly is needed to complete this swap regarding electrical and also mechanical?

do I still have to swap the oil pump and fuel rail/injectors, and get the iacv adapter plate ?

would really appreciate all the help I can get!
Lude1997 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-09-2018, 12:07 AM   #5097
ridgenesss

ridgenesss is on a distinguished road
Hey guys, having a few issues.

Have a 97 with an h23a swap and im getting a cel p0113.

Obvious choice was to swap the iat but that was to no avail.

I jumped the wires and got no change in the IAT reading.

Anyone have a diagram as to where the wires from the sensor go exactly?

I know one is a ground but if i get the others location i can check for continuity and such.
ridgenesss is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-25-2018, 10:26 PM   #5098
Mechanimal

Mechanimal is on a distinguished road
Here on i guess i am a newb. I own my from many years and i am also mechanic. I am about to upgrade clutch pack but i am wandering what kind of set up select. Engine is stock but chipped. Custom intake and eshaust, sport suspension, body kit and paint. Need to replace clutch but better than OEM but smoother than stage 2 or higher. What kind of product,reliable i mean could be interesting for daily drive and city crowded and full of hill?
Mechanimal is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-29-2018, 07:12 PM   #5099
Wing8806
Faptastic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mechanimal View Post
Here on i guess i am a newb. I own my from many years and i am also mechanic. I am about to upgrade clutch pack but i am wandering what kind of set up select. Engine is stock but chipped. Custom intake and eshaust, sport suspension, body kit and paint. Need to replace clutch but better than OEM but smoother than stage 2 or higher. What kind of product,reliable i mean could be interesting for daily drive and city crowded and full of hill?
I've used an Exedy stage 1 in the past, it's close to stock feel. Exedy also makes the factory clutch so it's a quality part. I've long since upgraded to a stage 3 from another manufacturer.
Old 05-20-2018, 09:30 PM   #5100
joelcaris

joelcaris is on a distinguished road
fuel grade question

quick question, ive heard a few rumors about the h22 being sort of specific to needing premium gas??? i also have a jetta 1.8t and i can tell you that running 93 makes a big difference. i just got my prelude a few days ago and was just looking for some sort of input. thanks
joelcaris is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement