Tips on how to remove the fuel filter - Honda Prelude Forum : Honda Prelude Forums
Home Forums Albums Garage iTrader Arcade
Register FAQ Insurance Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow Advertise

PreludePower.com is the premier Honda Prelude Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 09-19-2017, 12:38 AM   #1
Tyrion
Getting Comfortable

Tyrion is on a distinguished road
Tips on how to remove the fuel filter

Do you guys have any tips on how to remove the fuel filter on a 2000 Honda Prelude? It is located in a very tight spot on the side wall. The manual states to use a crowfoot adapter and access from the bottom, but there seems to be no access from the bottom because the steering rack and the support beam is in the way. The top bolt on the filter is also difficult to reach because the ABS brake lines are in the way ( whoever design this location ought to be shot hehe )

My prelude started to idle very rough, and threw the dreaded random misfire code and misfire on all cylinders. It runs good when running and in gear, but when stopped and idling in neutral ( mine is manual trans) the idle is so low (~500) and idles very rough. Since fuel filter is relatively cheap and is a tune up item anyways, i'd like to replace it first .

Thanks
Tyrion is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-19-2017, 02:00 AM   #2
Wing8806
Faptastic
Curveball Champion, Alien Clones Champion

Wing8806 is a name known to allWing8806 is a name known to allWing8806 is a name known to allWing8806 is a name known to allWing8806 is a name known to allWing8806 is a name known to all
As tight as it is, I changed mine from the top. Loosen the lines before you remove the mounting bolt, that's about it. Overall it's just a slow messy process. Quick search found me this:
that may/may not help. If there's a writeup on here with dead links - let me know and i'll try to restore the photos for you.

Before you end up doing that, I recommend cleaning your EGR valve. Typically that's where all misfire codes start and much quicker/easier than the fuel filter (free too! besides cleaner). It's probably nearing time for your EGR ports to be cleaned, which is a bit of a lengthy process if you've never done it before.

Checking the cap and rotor for wear is another.

Last edited by Wing8806; 09-19-2017 at 02:04 AM.
Wing8806 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-19-2017, 06:56 PM   #3
Tyrion
Getting Comfortable

Tyrion is on a distinguished road
Thanks Wing8806, I'll try the cap and rotor and clean the EGR valve route first, and we'll see what happens.
Tyrion is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement