5th Gen_ 2001 SH build/restoration project - Honda Prelude Forum : Honda Prelude Forums
Home Forums Albums Garage iTrader Arcade
Register FAQ Insurance Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow Advertise

PreludePower.com is the premier Honda Prelude Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 06-17-2019, 06:46 PM   #1
greentrees
Getting Comfortable

greentrees is on a distinguished road
2001 SH build/restoration project

Hey guys.

I realize these forums are only slightly alive so if this thread doesn't get much traffic I'll stop updating. Thought I'd give it a shot at the recommendation of other members.

My name is Jeff, I joined about a month ago and was looking at a few Preludes and getting your advice. I daily drive a highly modded Fiesta ST and am in the process of selling my '98 Civic project which I've had for many years. Time for a replacement.

Long story short, I've been looking for a cheap cash beater car to be my next project. I was looking in the $3-$5k range and looked at all sorts of things in the last 6 months such as Del Sol, Fiesta sFe, 6th gen Civic Si, a CRX, a Toyota pickup 5spd/22R-E, and a few Preludes.

After looking at a few hundred cars (ads) and driving a dozen of them, I found a 5th gen Prelude about 3 hours away that I fell in love with. The car has a zillion miles (210k) but they are mostly highway from a work commute, and the car shows it. It's a one owner/family car with a clean Carfax and no rust. Interior is like new, you could eat off the engine bay. The car runs like a new car, has cold A/C. In the last 2 years it's gotten a new alternator, timing belt/water pump, new tires, head unit, radiator, battery, new tires, and some other minor stuff. Truly a high-mileage cream puff!!! When I looked at it I was not serious about buying it but after driving it I was convinced. The car needs a few things, some paint correction which I am working on (spent 3 hours today on the hood alone), need to go through it and do some minor repairs but once I'm done it's gonna be real sweet.

These are great cars. It's a very simple car but very smooth. Quick but quiet, precise but non-dramatic. Feels very mature especially compared to a Civic or Del sol. Super composed, revs to redline without straining at all. Very different from my Fiesta, a great compliment to my collection!!!

2001 Prelude SH 5speed manual, $2950. I named the car Icabod. Not planning much in terms of mods, just want to restore it as much as possible and treat it like a time capsule.

I'll post more pics and some youTube videos at some point. Thanks for reading!!!

FIRST BATH

CLEAN, BEFORE PAINT CORRECTION

AFTER 10 HOURS PAINT CORRECTION

518/16153291/IMG_1793-vi.jpg[/IMG]

ENGINE BAY

INTERIOR

FIRST VLOG - INTRO

greentrees is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-17-2019, 06:48 PM   #2
greentrees
Getting Comfortable

SECOND VLOG - PAINT CORRECTION

Old 06-17-2019, 06:51 PM   #3
greentrees
Getting Comfortable

Here's a list of things you guys can maybe help me with:

1, the ABS and ATTS lights come on randomly and then go out randomly. Seems like (and from my past Honda experience) they stay on if there's a problem. The fact that they come on and off makes me wonder if it's an electrical glitch. Mostly they go off when I turn the car off and then back on. Ideas?

2, every time I come to a stop the BATTERY and SEATBELT lights come on, but the car idles fine. Then once I accelerate they go out. Car runs perfect. Ideas?

Old 06-17-2019, 06:53 PM   #4
greentrees
Getting Comfortable

Almost forgot -

MOD LIST
- has tint
- has Kenwood DVD head unit/amp
- has aftermarket front rotors

RECENTLY DONE TO THE CAR (last 1-24 months)
- timing belt service
- radiator
- alternator
- new Toyo tires
- A/C service

WORK I'LL BE DOING SOON
- oil/filter change
- MT fluid change
- ATTS fluid change
- more detailing
- new VTEC and SH stickers (on rear)
Old 06-19-2019, 05:47 PM   #5
dvdngu

dvdngu is on a distinguished road
Good work on that paint correction.

As for the abs/atts lights, do yourself a favor and get a code scanner if you do not have one. I am betting you have a bad abs sensor somewhere which causes both lights.
dvdngu is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-19-2019, 06:04 PM   #6
dvdngu

dvdngu is on a distinguished road
Ah just saw that you had your battery and seatbelt lights go on and off. In this case, before fixing anything, go through the whole car and clean every ground terminal you can find.
dvdngu is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-26-2019, 01:18 PM   #7
HondaPrelude1999
Getting Comfortable

HondaPrelude1999 is on a distinguished road
Extremely nice job, well done!
HondaPrelude1999 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-26-2019, 07:21 PM   #8
greentrees
Getting Comfortable

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvdngu View Post
Good work on that paint correction.

As for the abs/atts lights, do yourself a favor and get a code scanner if you do not have one. I am betting you have a bad abs sensor somewhere which causes both lights.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dvdngu View Post
Ah just saw that you had your battery and seatbelt lights go on and off. In this case, before fixing anything, go through the whole car and clean every ground terminal you can find.
Thanks. I've been watching the lights for the last week. They come on and off sporadically. I got the car to my mechanic (owns a shop, works on Hondas/Acuras only, 40 years experience, works alone, a wizard...) and he is convinced that the issue is the circuit board on the gauge cluster. He said when they get to this age the solder joints crack and cause random lights to pop on and off. I pulled the two wires coming off the brake fluid reservoir (at his recommendation, old Honda trick) and the ABS nor ATTS light hasn't come on in 2 days.

I did check all the grounds and everything looks good. I really think this is a gremlin in the circuit board.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HondaPrelude1999 View Post
Extremely nice job, well done!
Thanks!

A few updates...since my last post I've:

- changed ATTS fluid
- changed MT fluid
- fixed a number of small things
- installed a like-new steering wheel ($11 at junkyard!)
- removed outer balance weights/had tires rebalanced with inside weights
- clay barred the car 3 times

It's looking really great!

Also while at my Honda mechanic's shop I got a good look underneath...the oil cooler O-ring isn't leaking, nor is the VTEC solenoid gasket, nor is the distributor O-ring....but the valve cover is certainly leaking in the back side so it will be replaced. Hopefully that will take care of my leaks....if not, the car is getting a new timing belt and all associated parts due to the only other possible leak which would be the seals. Hopefully it won't come to that.

Next up:

- getting it aligned tomorrow
- getting a new windshield Friday
- replacing the valve cover gasket and spark plug seals next week

Beyond that I have a few more things I'm looking into...a possible intake, a bra for the front (paint at the front H is horrible), a few other little ideas I have.

I wish there was a short shifter for this car, the throws are so long and ropey it's killing me, but I can't find much aftermarket support for these...if anyone knows of anything please holler at me.

With all the above done so far I'm $2900 + $70 service manual + ~$500 parts/windshield/fluids/alignment so that's about $3500 invested.

Hoping the clutch and A/C and ATTS system remain strong, aside from those needing repair I don't see much on this car that could give me trouble going forward.

Thanks for looking!

[URL=https://public.fotki.com/greentrees2/icabod/1561597030813.html][IMG]
Old 06-28-2019, 01:32 PM   #9
greentrees
Getting Comfortable

About done with the Prelude...in the last few days I've done a few more things:

- alignment
- new windshield
- new stickers @ rear
- organized all my paperwork, found the window sticker from 2001

I also have a cheap intake (why not) and a car cover on the way. Thinking about putting another alternator on the car, the one on it is only about 2 years old but it's whining. It works fine but it's loud and the noise is driving me crazy. At least I think it's the alternator, need to do some more research.

On that note to anyone reading - you can crank a car and pull the alternator plug while it's running without ill effect, right? Never done this but I'm pretty sure that would be the way to diagnose my noise, if it's the alternator it will get quite once I unplug it...
Old 06-30-2019, 04:49 PM   #10
emathew

emathew is on a distinguished road
Hey man great work! Keep it up.
emathew is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-01-2019, 06:55 PM   #11
greentrees
Getting Comfortable

Quick update I thought I'd share...opened up the valve cover today to replace the gasket and plug seals, as they were leaking...very good news...this car has 211k on the odo but not a single oil deposit anywhere under the valve cover. 150k of the miles were highway and the oil was changed religiously and it shows! I also got a look at all the timing belt pulleys and bearings/seals and everything is tight, not a drop of oil leaking anywhere.

This was super encouraging and gives me faith in this engine lasting a long time as is.

Also found this critter on the car this morning before I started:

Old 07-02-2019, 04:18 PM   #12
greentrees
Getting Comfortable

Update...scrapped the Amazon cheapo intake and made my own...

Pic 1 is the garbage $41 intake that I promptly removed and sent back to Amazon. It sounded OK but it fit horribly and I ain't putting junk on my car!
Pic 2 is the stock intake with the snorkel plugged and the filter zip tied to the underside of the top of the stock air box (bottom removed for sound)...
PIc 3 is the snorkel that I removed/plugged...
Pic 4 is everything above put back together...stealth!!!
Pic 5 I snapped after washing up and removing a bandaid I had on my finger, I was surprised at how much grease I had on my hand!!!

Video too...MOAR POWER!!!!!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement