Honda Prelude Forum banner

1FunRyd - 88-91 Prelude All Wheel Drive Project

40K views 110 replies 29 participants last post by  1funryd 
#1 · (Edited)
All Wheel Drive Project

After a decade of debate on the subject, 1FunRyd and associates are teaming up to finally produce another 1FunRyd aftermarket option for the 3rd gen chassis.

1FunRyd Performance is working on the: All Wheel Drive kit for the B16/18/20b kit that 1FunRyd currently supports.

We have already completed the standard B-Series kit project and here is my personal car below running and reliable.

1. Working on the rear wheel setup:

All Wheel Drive video:

We are excited to finally start this project because the approach we are using for this project is to build my Custom Engine Rear Sub frame which will mean that I will be able to redesign my H22, B-Series and my future K-Series kit to accommodate all the engines and bring them higher up into the engine bay to allow for better ground clearances.
Stay tuned for updates as we solve one issue after another... ;)

See less See more
1 4
#3 ·
Has anything with the 3rd gen swaps been common? No.
So the same for this swap.

We are building a custom subframe to address many of the issues to accommodate this swap, it will not solve everything but it will be a bolt up scenario with the custom parts we make and it will allow for more flexibility to do swaps whether its just FWD swaps or AWD swaps.

If you attempt to do this on your own, without the correct information then this will be the most expensive thing you ever do with this chassis.

#7 ·
We got the bearing back for the rear knuckle and test fitted it.
That bearing will work for a hub we chose, however we are looking at other options to use to try to keep this project/skit more affordable.

Custom options are an option but we are trying to use OE options as much as possible to keep costs down.

We have started on the custom 1FunRyd Subframe for the engine to replace the rear subframe in the engine bay to all for better clearances and also to all fore future changes or add-on's for my swap kits and other things.

So you will be attempting a K-series kit also?
Referring back to my statement above with regards to a custom rear subframe has started.
The only way to make room and or stuff cerain motors in our chassis and gain better ground clearance without cutting the frame or the hood is to make a custom subframe which I have been talking about for years.
So we are making headway there.

#9 ·
1. We are 95% finished with the Jig to make my custom K-Frame to replace our stock one so it will allow more room and better engine placement for all motor swaps.

2. The rear knuckle situation is figured out to reduce overall cost to customer and me alike.

3. We are waiting on the rear diff that we are going to use on this project which is a Subaru diff. We are still going to get a spare CRV rear diff for those who want to stick with the CRV overall power plant.

4. Hubs have been figured out, just need to get them all done, but since that is one of the easiest parts we are waiting on that after we get the rear diff on hand.

5. The rear diff part is still on hold until we get the diff here in hand and then we shall be making progress on that.

We are moving on this, once we get our first prototype K-Frame done and tested in our current H22 chassis it will be opened to the public for sale.

So the subframe will be road tested first, and then as we get all the parts in to assemble the entire car, we will test that as well. The full testing will be done in phases as we make sure we road test all parts.

#11 · (Edited)
The subie diff is going to be a one off.

The main kit is the CRV/Element which we now have both in our possession.

This is the subie diff on just a comparison mock up.

As it stands the subie diff has a much deaper bell housing which means 4WS will need to be given up unless we cut the bottom of the chassis and make a brace much higher in the chassis.

For my kit I want as much bolt up and no cutting as possible since I am trying to make this a kit that can be installed by most enthusiasts with some basic knowlege and tools.

Depending on how we engineer it, there still maybe some customizing on the chassis side for the user.

#12 ·
So all that bitching about me putting a k series into a third gen prelude....only for you to come back 2 years later and do the same??tsk tsk Sean

with that said tho ; this is awesome!!!

ive been worki g on an adapter plate to mate the honda j32a2 v6 to the suburi awd transmission. Planning on making my 5th gen jswap awd.

#13 ·
lol!!! The only reason was because of the engine placement which required cutting the hood.

But with my new subframe, that changes the game, and also increases the cost of the swaps now if anyone wants to do a swap with better ground clearance...

But I have not done the K swap yet so its still up in the air...:lol:

And to the J32a2 swap AWD...that is also awesome!!!

#26 ·
prototypes of the front and rear sub-frames done. But need to be tested.
We are now able to get more space back in the shop, my truck was one of the issues due to we used it to haul metal and parts away.
Is movable now but still not road worthy.

We should see some more progress in the next month or so.

#27 ·
How much power can that crv rear diff hold? Would be awesome to do a turbo awd setup pushing high numbers without grenading diffs every time you launch.

#31 ·
So I know you are comparing the crv and subie diffs. What about any nissan rear diff?

#33 ·
Very ambitious project Sean, although I can't say I'm completely surprised that you would take something like this on. I'm interested to see how this turns out although I am a little more interested in the K swap idea.

Reactions: tjcross
#37 ·
I never thought the day would come to see a AWD Lude. My Lude has been gone over a decade now. I know AWD is very costly but the route y'all going with this. I think I might go back to the Lude days. I'm not too crazy on power. If the future works out for motor on a driveshat and diff that'll be great. Keeping my eye open on this project.

#40 ·
Get the transmission, driveshaft, rear diff, and rear axles. The stock parts should be fine for n/a builds but if you are adding lots of power they aren't made for that. Good news is Honda AWD swaps are kind of taking off and various companies are starting to offer upgrades for this stuff.

Some examples:
https://dragcartel.com/products/b-series-billet-awd-replacement-transfer-cover?fbclid=IwAR046p4rIzGM1RHhDT_bxHrY8p_Hw6h7DJBdWp7pr9UpZQoIAOliK8Oa_RY

https://automotiveknd.com/shop/drivetrain/dual-pump-quick-spool-system-dpqs/

FYI there is also a billet H22 AWD bellhousing in development that will accept the B-series transfer case. This may ultimately be the best solution for AWD Preludes because using B-series transmissions requires the engine to lean forward, even with an H2B setup. The overall fit in the engine bay just isn't as good like that, having it lean back a bit like with H-series / stock engine is much better.

Here is an example of the prototype diff mount that was made for the S2k rear diff, however this idea has been scrapped:

The current idea is to only support the CR-V/Element rear diff and develop one mount that will fit on 2WS and 4WS cars. It should look very similar to this.

Currently this project is waiting on one vehicle to leave my property then I will be able to bring up the development car and make further progress on it.

#44 ·
So what are you guys hooking up to for the rear subframe? Are you cutting stuff out and welding in new tabs or using existing mounting points?

#46 · (Edited)
Could be a game changer...

Ok, so this happened just recently.
Thanks to Brian Spiker(TransLab Performance) and Aaron Lopez(driver) but they have been working on the AWD H22 billet bell housing that will allow any H22 owner to transfer their OE guts over and become AWD with the K24 tranfercase.

This changes everything because it eliminates the need for he H2b adapter kit to go AWD.
There is no confirmation on my kit for fitment issues yet but in time that will get worked out.

Check this thing out!!!

Needless to say, the whole game is change now...lol!!!

Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/SpikesTransLab