H22 same motor swap - Honda Prelude Forum : Honda Prelude Forums
Home Forums Albums Garage iTrader Arcade
Register FAQ Insurance Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow Advertise

PreludePower.com is the premier Honda Prelude Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 06-12-2019, 08:06 PM   #1
419lude

419lude is on a distinguished road
H22 same motor swap

Found a low miles h22 motor. I have a 97 prelude with the h22a4 longblock (black top). Have 200k motors seen its better days so im gonna buy a good motor. How hard is it to swal the same motor? Iv never done a swap. Is it possible to do with never doing a swap befor? Since its the same motor it would be bolt off bolt on right? Someone pleas point me in the right direction!!
419lude is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-12-2019, 08:59 PM   #2
Wing8806
Faptastic
Curveball Champion, Alien Clones Champion

Wing8806 is a name known to allWing8806 is a name known to allWing8806 is a name known to allWing8806 is a name known to allWing8806 is a name known to allWing8806 is a name known to all
Depends. Is the other motor an H22a4 or another variant of the H motor?

If it's the exact same motor, and matches your car (SH blocks differ from Base blocks) it will be a straight swap. Although I always recommend changing oil seals etc prior to installing a newer motor.

First time through with the right tools - i'd say it's doable within a day, depending if you're mechanically inclined or not.
Wing8806 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-13-2019, 10:26 PM   #3
419lude

419lude is on a distinguished road
I have the sh model h22a4, on hmotors its the 97-98 longblock with the black valve cover. And as far as seapping iv done alot of stuff to my hondas so with the right stuff i shouldnt be bad. Im hoping it will be an easy swap with a tune.
419lude is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-13-2019, 10:39 PM   #4
pIERCE
I am Prelude

pIERCE is a jewel in the roughpIERCE is a jewel in the roughpIERCE is a jewel in the rough
Send a message via Yahoo to pIERCE
No, if you have an SH engine, you must replace with another SH engine block, or a JDM Type-S. Nothing else will work as far as a simple drop-in replacement.

https://www.preludeonline.com/f60/sh...l-swap-232989/
https://honda-tech.com/forums/honda-...-base-2785136/
https://www.preludepower.com/forums/...d.php?t=278673
pIERCE is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-19-2019, 05:11 PM   #5
RustyBit

RustyBit is on a distinguished road
RustyBit

Quote:
Originally Posted by 419lude View Post
Found a low miles h22 motor. I have a 97 prelude with the h22a4 longblock (black top). Have 200k motors seen its better days so im gonna buy a good motor. How hard is it to swal the same motor? Iv never done a swap. Is it possible to do with never doing a swap befor? Since its the same motor it would be bolt off bolt on right? Someone pleas point me in the right direction!!
Are you mechanically minded? Have you ever done things like removing driveshafts etc.? Do you have access to an engine hoist? Is it manual or auto? It is straightforward but not a simple hour or two job. With a hoist you can literally lift the engine and transmission out as one unit, personally, manuals are easier, after undoing and removing many components, draining all fluids etc. You can leave the air con compressor in as well as the condenser, it is easier with the bonnet/ hood off. Then swap the tranny over and drop it back in. Sounds simple huh!. Good luck, may the force be with you.

Last edited by RustyBit; 06-19-2019 at 05:16 PM.
RustyBit is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-19-2019, 06:24 PM   #6
QuickAsThundr

QuickAsThundr is on a distinguished road
It’s pretty easy, as long as you have space and time, it’s pretty straight forward. I swapped an SH motor into my base and it took a few weekends but that was mainly from waiting for parts(not gonna pay parts store prices) and making a half shaft mount bracket(only difference besides oil filter location on SH). I’d say go for it
QuickAsThundr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement