YONAKA exhaust will fit Prelude SH - Honda Prelude Forum : Honda Prelude Forums
Home Forums Albums Garage iTrader Arcade
Register FAQ Insurance Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow Advertise

PreludePower.com is the premier Honda Prelude Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 08-20-2019, 03:03 PM   #1
greentrees
Getting Comfortable

greentrees is on a distinguished road
YONAKA exhaust will fit Prelude SH

Hey folks,

Check out the video at the bottom...

Long story short I grabbed one of the 5th gen YONAKA exhausts because why not...sound clips are impressive, very impressive for the price. They won't fit the SH but being the tinker that I am I decided to do some cutting and wrenching. Looks like a 4" or so piece cut out of the resonator pipe will make it fit.

For starters I merely removed the axelback and lo and behold the Yonaka replacement fit perfectly and I mean perfectly. So I'm gonna ride around for a week or so like this and enjoy the sound before I take the rest off, cut out a 4" piece, connect with a coupling, and see how it all sounds.

I will say this is a very high quality piece...shipped fast and very well packed. Welds look terrific and it looks really good on the car, not too flash but definitely there. The sound is way beyond my expectation. Nice and rumbly but not raspy at all. I was shocked after a drive. The AB only might be perfect for my sound tolerance...we'll see once I install the rest but the cool thing is if it's too loud I can always reinstall the OEM resonator and only use the Yonaka AB for a a great sound.

Get one here below, well worth the money...still in shock...I've done cheap exhausts before and that this is not. I have a $700 exhaust on my Fiesta ST and this sounds just as good. And they threw in a LP frame, hat, shirt, lanyard, and stickers for free. Dang!!!

CATBACK:
https://www.yonaka.com/Honda_Prelude...cb-pre9701.htm

AXELBACK ONLY:
https://www.yonaka.com/product_p/ymab-pre9701.htm

Anyhow here are some pics and check out the video at the bottom.

VIDEO:

Last edited by greentrees; 08-21-2019 at 10:53 AM.
greentrees is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-20-2019, 04:41 PM   #2
Shiloh51933
Lude Addict

Shiloh51933 will become famous soon enough
Looks good.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Shiloh51933 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-21-2019, 01:29 PM   #3
HondaPrelude1999
Getting Comfortable

HondaPrelude1999 is on a distinguished road
Yeah, that exhaust looks excellent on your Prelude!
HondaPrelude1999 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-21-2019, 09:20 PM   #4
mykizism
Lude Addict

mykizism is on a distinguished road

Prelude of the Month
Looking good!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

mykizism is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-23-2019, 04:49 PM   #5
greentrees
Getting Comfortable

Thanks for the kudos guys...Man this forum is dead but I guess that's what happens when a car is out of production for 2+ decades.

Today I installed the rest of the catback. Note, this exhaust is not supposed to fit this car. In the video below I explain how I modified it to fit. Simply cut a 3" piece off the straight area closest to the flange that attaches to the catalytic converter, clamp with a coupling, you're done.

I might weld this eventually but it's nice to have some play in there as it is with the coupling. We'll see how it holds up after a few months.

Here's the exact clamp I used, it will work just fine for this job:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

As I said in the video, once 3" is cut out at the designated place it fits perfectly, everything lines up, took under an hour including the cutting, no touching of heat shields, no issues at all, great sound. A little loud for my taste but maybe it will mellow once it heat cycles. But as I said before the quality of the sound is A+.

Thanks Yonaka for making good stuff!!!

Old 08-25-2019, 11:06 AM   #6
Shiloh51933
Lude Addict

Shiloh51933 will become famous soon enough
I think I'd be interested in one of these Yonoka catback setup...that's a Base 5thgen catback right? I believe you said you have a Type SH 5thgen but the catback is actually for the Base Model. I want to hear a sound clip of that beautiful black Prelude Type SH.

Shiloh51933 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-26-2019, 06:15 AM   #7
greentrees
Getting Comfortable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiloh51933 View Post
I think I'd be interested in one of these Yonoka catback setup...that's a Base 5thgen catback right? I believe you said you have a Type SH 5thgen but the catback is actually for the Base Model. I want to hear a sound clip of that beautiful black Prelude Type SH.
You must not have read my detailed info, all your questions were answered there.

Yes the part in question is made to fit a 5th gen base model only.

Yes I have an SH.

The whole point of the video was to explain how the part in question can be modified to fit an SH, which is what I did.

After driving a good bit on this setup, I've removed the Yonaka resonator but am keeping the Yonaka axelback on. So my setup will be OEM resonator mated to Yonaka axelback. Kind of a shame after all the modification I did, but it's the sound I prefer. I got it at 50% off so it was only $140.

Here's my review of each option here:

STOCK
Is just too quiet

FULL YONAKA CATBACK (resonator + axelback)
Too loud...drone at 2500-3500 especially in gear 3 and 4 is just unbearable for me. Younger folk might enjoy it but not me. It is a good sound, not raspy or cheap sounding. But just too loud. Surprisingly at 70mph it's quiet. It's just that one range where it's too loud. So loud you'd have to raise your voice to have a conversation with the windows rolled up.

YONAKA RESONATOR + STOCK AXELBACK
I tried this setup for a time but there is just no sound much at all. It adds a little but it's more volume and less bass. So it accentuates the stock exhaust sound which isn't good...but there's no added bass.

STOCK RESONATOR + YONAKA AXELBACK
This is the sound I'm staying with. I wish it was a bit louder but it will do. Very nice tone, no drone, just good bass, sounds super high quality.

For some reason either piece on it's own isn't loud but once you combine them it's pretty loud. In any case I'm very happy with the purchase and I'll stick the Yonaka resonator in my attic. For anyone wanting just the axelback (my setup now after all experimentation) remember it can be had cheap on the Yonaka website and delivers fantastic sound with a super easy install once you get the rusted stock bolts off. And remember there is no modification needed for the axelback only, it bolts right up in 5 minutes even on an SH model, just two bolts, you're done.

Yonaka FTW!

Last edited by greentrees; 08-26-2019 at 06:18 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement