Brand New Honda Prelude H22A Type-S Engine - Honda Prelude Forum : Honda Prelude Forums
Home Forums Albums Garage iTrader Arcade
Register FAQ Insurance Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow Advertise

PreludePower.com is the premier Honda Prelude Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 06-07-2019, 11:00 AM   #1
HondaPrelude1999
Getting Comfortable

HondaPrelude1999 is on a distinguished road
Brand New Honda Prelude H22A Type-S Engine

Hello,

Does anyone know if it is possible to buy a brand new Honda Prelude H22A Type-S engine or are only used engines available? I am rebuilding my 1999 Honda Prelude Type SH and am debating swapping out the engine for the Type S engine. I would prefer a brand new Type-S engine or one with extremely low miles (less thank 20,000 miles if possible). I just have not seen any recent posts on the topic.

Thank you for your help! I greatly appreciate your time and assistance!
HondaPrelude1999 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-07-2019, 01:42 PM   #2
Amuzerulooser
Getting Comfortable

Amuzerulooser is on a distinguished road
Hmm, i also wonder if theres such a rare market for engines that were produced about 20 years ago. Keep in mind these motors were also limited in the model car they came in. Go to hmotorsonline.com have not bought myself since motor came with my car but i herd good things from them. See a nice type s engine there.
Amuzerulooser is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-07-2019, 09:12 PM   #3
pIERCE
I am Prelude

pIERCE is a jewel in the roughpIERCE is a jewel in the roughpIERCE is a jewel in the rough
Send a message via Yahoo to pIERCE
You're going to need to talk personally to a specialty JDM importer who has connections to their actual dealer network and can find or look up part numbers. You gotta understand that the price of a longblock Type-S engine with zero miles strait from Japan--if you could source such a thing--is going to be a minimum of $6-8k considering what they cost new, imports, finders fees.

I would not be at all surprised if you were hit with a $10k bill(if they sourced the engine from a collector).

Just buy used.
pIERCE is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-08-2019, 08:16 PM   #4
Snark42

Snark42 is on a distinguished road
You might consider buying an H22A Euro R engine swap. It takes some work and is not a straight drop in, but it's a great engine.

Has the Type-S cams, the better I take manifold, although would benefit from some Rosko Racing style modifications, and has the T2W4 transmission with a mechanical Limited Slip Differential and better gear ratios.
Snark42 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-08-2019, 11:28 PM   #5
pIERCE
I am Prelude

pIERCE is a jewel in the roughpIERCE is a jewel in the roughpIERCE is a jewel in the rough
What work does it require that JDM engines do not? I never really looked at Euro stuff
Old 06-09-2019, 02:46 PM   #6
Snark42

Snark42 is on a distinguished road
Snark42

Quote:
Originally Posted by pIERCE View Post
What work does it require that JDM engines do not? I never really looked at Euro stuff
Probably similar amount of work when compared to a JDM swap. There are a few ways of running the Euro-R engine.

The way I'm currently running mine is:
-USDM ECU/Harness
-USDM Distributor
-USDM Oil Pump (for TDC sensor mount holes)
-USDM oil pressure sensor
-USDM Intake manifold/fuel rail/injectors/etc. (I'm currently modifying my Euro-R intake and will use it soon)

It has 11:1 compression as well.
Snark42 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-09-2019, 08:20 PM   #7
pIERCE
I am Prelude

Ah ok, so it's the same as JDM swap IIRC
Old 06-11-2019, 05:56 AM   #8
GFloBb6
Lude Dude

GFloBb6 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snark42 View Post

Probably similar amount of work when compared to a JDM swap. There are a few ways of running the Euro-R engine.

The way I'm currently running mine is:
-USDM ECU/Harness
-USDM Distributor
-USDM Oil Pump (for TDC sensor mount holes)
-USDM oil pressure sensor
-USDM Intake manifold/fuel rail/injectors/etc. (I'm currently modifying my Euro-R intake and will use it soon)

It has 11:1 compression as well.
Hey man so it’s off topic of the original post but by doing your swap that way does that make the jdm swap “plug and play”? Because i’m getting a F20b soon and have been researching and that seems to be what people say is the easiest way to do a jdm swap in a 5th gen. By basically using just about everything on the outside of the original usdm h22a4 and putting it on the jdm motor. So is that basically true? My stock 5th gen runs fine but has 200k and sometimes smokes from burning oil so that’s why i want a fresh swap. All my sensors are fine and i haven’t had a CEL code in a while. Also are you using your stock usdm ECU or another one and/or tuned?
GFloBb6 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-12-2019, 10:21 AM   #9
HondaPrelude1999
Getting Comfortable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amuzerulooser View Post
Hmm, i also wonder if theres such a rare market for engines that were produced about 20 years ago. Keep in mind these motors were also limited in the model car they came in. Go to hmotorsonline.com have not bought myself since motor came with my car but i herd good things from them. See a nice type s engine there.
Thank you for the great info! I checked hmotorsonline and they have some solid options.

What would be the benefit of the Type-S over the Euro R engines? It seems from my limited understanding that both have the same horsepower output/torque; am I missing something?

Also, are all the engines on JDM website and HMotorsOnline rebuilt engines? Or are they engines that have been removed from totaled vehicles? I would prefer an engine that has not been rebuilt if possible.
Old 06-12-2019, 02:24 PM   #10
Amuzerulooser
Getting Comfortable

Type S was just the model of the car that came out in Japan, having the (Type S motor) adopted. Euro R was the redtop and came out in the right hand drive bb6 in Europe. Both are fantastic motors. Euro-R has slight differences in the cams,valvetrain,piston and rods. I believe euro r has Type S Pistons but don't quote me on that just yet. The single stage has better top end flow, the Euro-R/Type-R tranny has a shorter 2nd and 3rd gear likely to counter this and get into the high rpm range sooner. Euro also has different brackets on mounts i think and are made to save some weight. As far as the motors in Hmotorsonline i cant say for certain but they always do compression testing on there motors before sale, i don't think I've seen a built motor on there and thats def a good sign.
Old 06-12-2019, 06:59 PM   #11
pIERCE
I am Prelude

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amuzerulooser View Post
Type S was just the model of the car that came out in Japan, having the (Type S motor) adopted. Euro R was the redtop and came out in the right hand drive bb6 in Europe.

Correction: Euro R engines were from Honda Accord Euro R models in Europe. A Euro R H22 was never offered in a BBX chassis. In Europe if you wanted an "R" spec Prelude, you would have simply gotten a Type-S which were available essentially everywhere but the U.S.(and maybe Australia/NZ; don't quote me on that)

Just fun facts.
Old 06-12-2019, 09:58 PM   #12
Amuzerulooser
Getting Comfortable

Sweet man this is why forums are key!! We slowly but surely know every inch of our cars!
Old 06-13-2019, 08:17 AM   #13
HondaPrelude1999
Getting Comfortable

Quote:
Originally Posted by pIERCE View Post
Correction: Euro R engines were from Honda Accord Euro R models in Europe. A Euro R H22 was never offered in a BBX chassis. In Europe if you wanted an "R" spec Prelude, you would have simply gotten a Type-S which were available essentially everywhere but the U.S.(and maybe Australia/NZ; don't quote me on that)

Just fun facts.
Thanks a ton for the information! I greatly appreciate everyones help!
Old 06-28-2019, 04:11 PM   #14
DiabolicGambit

DiabolicGambit is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by HondaPrelude1999 View Post
Hello,

Does anyone know if it is possible to buy a brand new Honda Prelude H22A Type-S engine or are only used engines available? I am rebuilding my 1999 Honda Prelude Type SH and am debating swapping out the engine for the Type S engine. I would prefer a brand new Type-S engine or one with extremely low miles (less thank 20,000 miles if possible). I just have not seen any recent posts on the topic.

Thank you for your help! I greatly appreciate your time and assistance!
I actually have a sub 10k miles 100% rebuilt f20b (top to bottom rebuild)
258hp 192ft/lbs n/a
86mm bore
88mm stroke
Cometic MLS headgasket
Areis Forged Pistons @ 11.5:1
Shot pinged\magnifluxed Rods
BLOX 92lb dual springs
BLOX titanium retainers
HKS cam gears on
SKUNK2 stage 2 camshafts (vtec @ 5600)
Rotating assembly Balanced +\- 2 grams
Ported Intake manifold with butterfly delete
All ARP bolts and studs
Manual tensioner.
+1mm ferria high compressioon valves
5 angle full race valve job
Obd2 from the factory but i have the obd1 harness for ems purposes

(the f20b is an Iron ductile sleeved and destroked version of the 98+ h22a4 it was found in the honda accord SiR-T and on The Torreno.. It was literally build by honda to race.)

Built her for boost but never got to it.. Some kid rear ended my parked car.. Shes a beauty.. Purrs like a kitten.. Built right.. And DD all day.. Pm me we can talk price

And yes you can buy a brand new motor from honda expect to pay 8-10k

Last edited by DiabolicGambit; 06-28-2019 at 04:31 PM.
DiabolicGambit is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-03-2019, 11:27 AM   #15
HondaPrelude1999
Getting Comfortable

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiabolicGambit View Post
I actually have a sub 10k miles 100% rebuilt f20b (top to bottom rebuild)
258hp 192ft/lbs n/a
86mm bore
88mm stroke
Cometic MLS headgasket
Areis Forged Pistons @ 11.5:1
Shot pinged\magnifluxed Rods
BLOX 92lb dual springs
BLOX titanium retainers
HKS cam gears on
SKUNK2 stage 2 camshafts (vtec @ 5600)
Rotating assembly Balanced +\- 2 grams
Ported Intake manifold with butterfly delete
All ARP bolts and studs
Manual tensioner.
+1mm ferria high compressioon valves
5 angle full race valve job
Obd2 from the factory but i have the obd1 harness for ems purposes

(the f20b is an Iron ductile sleeved and destroked version of the 98+ h22a4 it was found in the honda accord SiR-T and on The Torreno.. It was literally build by honda to race.)

Built her for boost but never got to it.. Some kid rear ended my parked car.. Shes a beauty.. Purrs like a kitten.. Built right.. And DD all day.. Pm me we can talk price

And yes you can buy a brand new motor from honda expect to pay 8-10k
Thanks for the offer, but I went with a Euro-R engine! But thank you for your help!
Old 07-28-2019, 03:15 PM   #16
Shiloh51933
Lude Addict

Shiloh51933 will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Thanks for the offer, but I went with a Euro-R engine! But thank you for your help!
Do you mind sharing what you paid for the EDM-R engine?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Shiloh51933; 07-28-2019 at 03:22 PM.
Shiloh51933 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-29-2019, 10:32 AM   #17
HondaPrelude1999
Getting Comfortable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiloh51933 View Post
Do you mind sharing what you paid for the EDM-R engine?
You bet! I ordered my engine from HMotors since they have an exceptional reputation and amazing staff. Here is a link for the relative price of a 2001 Euro-R H22A (not including shipping)

https://www.hmotorsonline.com/shop/h...-r-long-block/
Old 07-29-2019, 01:06 PM   #18
Shiloh51933
Lude Addict

Quote:
You bet! I ordered my engine from HMotors since they have an exceptional reputation and amazing staff. Here is a link for the relative price of a 2001 Euro-R H22A (not including shipping)

https://www.hmotorsonline.com/shop/h...-r-long-block/
That euro r longblock is sweet.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 07-30-2019, 05:26 PM   #19
HondaPrelude1999
Getting Comfortable

Quote:
That euro r longblock is sweet.
Yeah, I'm super excited for the engine! Turns out finding the rest of the parts for my build though are a bit more difficult, haha.
Old 07-31-2019, 07:09 AM   #20
Shiloh51933
Lude Addict

Quote:
Yeah, I'm super excited for the engine! Turns out finding the rest of the parts for my build though are a bit more difficult, haha.
I'm real interested in your build, I hope your planning to document and take plenty of pictures to share with PreludePower.com.

Old 07-31-2019, 12:00 PM   #21
HondaPrelude1999
Getting Comfortable

Quote:
I'm real interested in your build, I hope your planning to document and take plenty of pictures to share with PreludePower.com.
Definitely! I'm still in the collecting phase. But the engine should be here soon and then I'll make the modifications to the intake manifold and buy the remainder of the parts. I've been able to locate most parts, but I'm still searching for a full Mugen Twinloop exhaust. If I can't find one then I will debate the Apexi WS2 vs. Mugen Twinloop muffler from another Honda (most likely Civic) with K-teller 2.5 inch piping vs. Vibrant exhaust components with K-teller piping.

But if at all possible the full Mugen Twinloop exhaust would be my ideal pick in a perfect world, haha.
Old 08-01-2019, 06:41 AM   #22
Shiloh51933
Lude Addict

Quote:
Definitely! I'm still in the collecting phase. But the engine should be here soon and then I'll make the modifications to the intake manifold and buy the remainder of the parts. I've been able to locate most parts, but I'm still searching for a full Mugen Twinloop exhaust. If I can't find one then I will debate the Apexi WS2 vs. Mugen Twinloop muffler from another Honda (most likely Civic) with K-teller 2.5 inch piping vs. Vibrant exhaust components with K-teller piping.

But if at all possible the full Mugen Twinloop exhaust would be my ideal pick in a perfect world, haha.
What comes with the Mugen Twinloop exhaust? Are we talking catback or from headers all the way back?

Old 08-03-2019, 09:24 AM   #23
HondaPrelude1999
Getting Comfortable

Quote:
What comes with the Mugen Twinloop exhaust? Are we talking catback or from headers all the way back?
It would be cat-back exhaust, but sadly its pretty tough to find...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement