Racing Seat Computer Chair-DIY - Honda Prelude Forum : Honda Prelude Forums
Home Forums Albums Garage iTrader Arcade
Register FAQ Insurance Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow Advertise

PreludePower.com is the premier Honda Prelude Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 12-02-2011, 12:01 PM   #1
Hawkman13
Getting Comfortable

Hawkman13 is on a distinguished road
Racing Seat Computer Chair-DIY

So recently I came on to a pair of racing seats for the awesome price of $20. They were brand new so I figured what the hell, turns out online there going for $400. But anyway, I wasnt about to throw a pair of knockoff seats into my lude' to replace my s2k's so I figured I would just use them as gaming chairs. Then a few days ago one of my...larger friends sat in my computer chair and snapped the back off of it. Since Im in college and Im at my desk whenever Im home I decided it would be a neat idea to turn one of the seats into a computer chair. This is a short little DIY with a couple pictures, if you have any questions or need any help at all feel free to PM me.

Materials:

-Broken computer chair

-Racing Seat

-I needed a 15x15" 3/4" thick piece of plywood
-8 M8x1.25mm 40mm bolts
-8 large washers
-4 M8x1.25mm nuts
-4 Smaller washers

Tools:
-Drill
-Assorted drill bits
-Spray paint for the wood to make it cleaner

Procedure:
-First start by flipping the chair over and measuring where the rails bolts too. After getting this measurement drill holes accordingly into the wood. Once the wholes are drilled use 4 large washers and 4 large bolts to bolt the piece of wood to the bottom of the seat

-Next take the base of the computer chair and center it on the piece of wood, mark the 4 holes and drill. Be sure it is center so the chair is balanced.

-Now your going to put the bolts thru with the large washers on the end of the head of the bolt. Now tighten the base down using the 4 nuts and small washers. You have to bolt the base of the computer chair to the wood first because if you bolt the wood to the base of the seat first there would be no way to tighten the bolts. Once the computer chair base is tightened flip the wood upside down and simply reuse the 4 large bolts and large washers to hold the wood to the bottom of the seat.

-And here is the final product

Overall it is pretty comfy, and everyone who see's it loves it. The price of the materials were just under $20 from home depot. So after it was all said and done I ended up spending just under $40 and I still have an extra seat for shits and gigs. Not to bad considering racing seat computer chairs go for $300+. The only thing I would suggest different is instead of using a wooden base try to use a metal. I wanted this to just be and quick cheap build so I opted against it. If you do use wood just make sure to use 3/4" thickness at least, I almost went with the 1/2" but after putting a little weight on it with my foot in Home Depot I decided to go with the 3/4". Any questions or comments feel free to reply or PM me!
Hawkman13 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-13-2011, 02:56 PM   #2
mikeschmeee
Ludacious

mikeschmeee has a spectacular aura aboutmikeschmeee has a spectacular aura about
This is awesome!!! If I ever encounter a cheap but great condition racing seat I'm totally do this haha.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

mikeschmeee is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-14-2011, 02:20 PM   #3
tpspool3

tpspool3 is on a distinguished road
nice write up
tpspool3 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2011, 03:40 AM   #4
dontbuyprelude
Lude Dude

dontbuyprelude is on a distinguished road
looks sick. i want one.
dontbuyprelude is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-11-2012, 08:19 PM   #5
540dude
Getting Comfortable

540dude is on a distinguished road
haha
540dude is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-18-2013, 04:54 PM   #6
3g f20B
Getting Comfortable

3g f20B is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to 3g f20B
man thats EPIC! haha gonna have to try that
3g f20B is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-20-2013, 02:48 PM   #7
Speener
Lude Dude

Speener is on a distinguished road
Looks great. I'd be in the habit of making the chair hydraulic low to the ground like I'm used to in cars haha.
Speener is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-20-2019, 03:26 AM   #8
Caonodopaoio

Caonodopaoio is on a distinguished road
I use my chair way too often to skimp on quality. I won a DX Racer seat from a NeedForSeat Facebook giveaway and after talking to one of the salesman, I ended up with one of their XL series chairs. I`m about 6`1" and any tall person will tell you that most of the stuff made in this world is made for smaller people lol. So I was really happy to hear they made larger chairs that could actually give me support. The chair is super comfortable and it`s got a lot of adjustable settings (like lumbar support, arm rest height, etc etc)
Caonodopaoio is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement