2k SH Project - Honda Prelude Forum : Honda Prelude Forums
Home Forums Albums Garage iTrader Arcade
Register FAQ Insurance Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow Advertise

PreludePower.com is the premier Honda Prelude Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 07-19-2019, 10:23 AM   #1
ritzcracker
Getting Comfortable

ritzcracker is on a distinguished road
Smile 2k SH Project

Been on the forums for a few years now, mostly lurking but wanted to invite you to follow along my recent project. No crazy builds, just bringing a dead Lude back to life.

It's a 2000 SH with about 225,000 miles. Picked it up with what was believed to be a bad clutch. Had a strange noise with the engine running but wouldn't go into gear. Long story short, found out that the previous owner/backyard mechanic decided to throw whatever bolts he could find to secure the flywheel in place and half of them loosened themselves up. So begins my fun journey.

This is Prelude number five for me but my first SH. I had three 4th gens and one 5th gen base.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by ritzcracker; 07-19-2019 at 11:08 AM.
ritzcracker is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-20-2019, 10:32 AM   #2
ritzcracker
Getting Comfortable

Here's how the engine bay started:

Got that nasty wing removed and bumper set aside to start the transmission removal

Everything I heard about the ATTS struggle s real but what it really came down to was that if you don't separate it from the extension tube first, it makes it 10x harder to slide to the driver side:

Another issue I had was I skipped the trans mount stud removal and it hit the body when pulling the trans. So here's how I removed it since it was pretty stuck:

Once I did get the trans, pressure plate, and and clutch removed, this is what I found:

I ordered some ARP flywheel bolts and tapped the treads on the crankshaft. This looks much better:

Then I got the new Exedy clutch lined up:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 07-23-2019, 04:00 AM   #3
MommysLittleMonster
Opinionated Bastard

MommysLittleMonster is a splendid one to beholdMommysLittleMonster is a splendid one to beholdMommysLittleMonster is a splendid one to beholdMommysLittleMonster is a splendid one to beholdMommysLittleMonster is a splendid one to beholdMommysLittleMonster is a splendid one to beholdMommysLittleMonster is a splendid one to beholdMommysLittleMonster is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via AIM to MommysLittleMonster

Prelude of the Month

I love seeing people buy these cars in a neglected state and then bring them back from the dead.

Nice job un-screwing what the previous owner did, I hope you continue your forward progress.

MommysLittleMonster is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-23-2019, 12:54 PM   #4
ritzcracker
Getting Comfortable

Quote:
Originally Posted by MommysLittleMonster View Post
I love seeing people buy these cars in a neglected state and then bring them back from the dead.

Nice job un-screwing what the previous owner did, I hope you continue your forward progress.
Thanks! Yeah same here. I almost looked more for an abused one just to have the satisfaction of bringing it back. Don't get me wrong, a stock one would have been nice to find too but they're all auto around here.

Next up I changed out the oil cooler o-rings (yes, both on the SH)

Also, changing out the lower ball joints. This has been a pain in my ass getting them installed. Still working on it!

Old 07-23-2019, 05:52 PM   #5
mykizism
Lude Addict

mykizism is on a distinguished road

Prelude of the Month
OMG at the Flywheel bolts... Glad you caught that before it exploded in your car. I'm an advocate for the Doing it yourself. But instances like these show that it takes a level of skill to properly perform a safe job. That could been a disaster if left unchecked.

mykizism is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-24-2019, 07:34 AM   #6
ritzcracker
Getting Comfortable

Quote:
Originally Posted by mykizism View Post
OMG at the Flywheel bolts... Glad you caught that before it exploded in your car. I'm an advocate for the Doing it yourself. But instances like these show that it takes a level of skill to properly perform a safe job. That could been a disaster if left unchecked.
Tell me about it! I couldn't believe someone would think that's OK. It couldn't have gone in well. There's some mechanical red flags that most people should recognize and that's definitely one of them.

Another example of what NOT to do, is not bolting down the slave cylinder all the way. I thought, what are the odds that the clutch isn't working because of the slave cylinder? So I took a quick video of its operation and found this:

So it was working, but I wouldn't want to drive around like that. So I found another case of carelessness. I cleaned up the bolts, tapped the holes to clean them out, and BAM, good as new.

Old 07-28-2019, 01:35 PM   #7
Shiloh51933
Lude Addict

Shiloh51933 will become famous soon enough
Finding an unabused 5thgen in factory form with a 5speed is rare...took me over a year to find my '99 Base model M/T.

Shiloh51933 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-07-2019, 05:04 PM   #8
ritzcracker
Getting Comfortable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiloh51933 View Post
Finding an unabused 5thgen in factory form with a 5speed is rare...took me over a year to find my '99 Base model M/T.
You ain't lying! I was looking for more of an abused one though. It's that whole going to the pound for a new pet idea. I know someone out there hasn't taken care of a prelude and wants to get rid of it for cheap and this is what I found. I enjoy the struggle of bringing it back haha

Old 08-07-2019, 05:11 PM   #9
ritzcracker
Getting Comfortable

Now that I have the engine bay assembled again, I started to tackle some interior issues. To start, the Christmas tree I have lit up on the dash. I've got the ATTS, CEL, and SRS all on.

I managed to take care of the SRS that this was causing:

The previous owner thankfully saved the OEM steering wheel and it was in the trunk:

So that cleared up the Driver side airbag open circuit SRS light. It's a fun sequence to clear them once they're set too. The manual says to not use a jumper wire but I can attest that this method definitely works.

I noticed a few tears in bushings and bellows boots so I opted for this nice bundle:

And boy was it fun pushing the bushings in the front radius rods on this SH. I've done the base bushings but this was a whole different story:

Needless to say, the autozone tool rental combined with plenty of lube and an impact gun did the trick. I tried it by hand first and it kept slipping. The impact gun keeps driving it in at a fairly constant speed and makes the process so much easier.

Old 08-18-2019, 08:04 AM   #10
ritzcracker
Getting Comfortable

***UPDATE***

So I've been pretty busy and things are going well. Here's what else has been done lately:

-Replaced the left, rear brake caliper. Found out why the parking brake wasn't working. The caliper itself wasn't seized but it seems that the cam that is engaged by the parking brake lever was broken. I could turn the cam by hand and no movement on the caliper. I also had a stuck parking brake cable on that same side but I managed to get that back to normal.

-Replaced the OEM blades. I loved having the Prelude blades on my base but I'm bummed I didn't get the SH wheels with this one. The tires were rotting due to sitting around for a year I'm guessing so those needed replacement anyway. I found a pretty good deal on a set of 2010 Civic Si wheels.

They're in decent condition but the tires are almost brand new. I searched around to see what they would look like before buying but I only found someone with the previous generation civic wheels. So, for anyone wondering what a 5th gen prelude with 8th gen si wheels looks like, here ya go:

They are slightly wider at 215 and 17's instead of 16's. I may have similar rubbing issues as the s2k wheels for the rear (if I end up lowering it) but as of right now, they fit great, even with the 17's making it sit a little higher than I'd like.

-Deoxidized the headlights. I know they would throw a fit around here in VA for the vehicle inspection so I already cleaned them up before they could charge me the $25 for a half-ass job. My only concern now is the aiming since majority of the tabs are broken. Two bolts per headlight should hold right? lol

-Replaced the P/S and Accessory belts. They weren't bad but I had a nice squeal on start up and I'd feel better knowing that I'm starting brand new. I forgot how much I hated the tensioners on these but after leaving it too loose and almost burning it up from slipping, I got them tensioned appropriately and it's good to go.

Seems like all I have left is the alignment after replacing the tie-rods and the vehicle inspection. Then this beauty will be officially road ready.

Old 08-19-2019, 06:41 AM   #11
Shiloh51933
Lude Addict

Shiloh51933 will become famous soon enough
Looks like your getting a lot done, good stuff. On the Si wheels I have to be honest...I'm not feeling them. There nice wheels but just don't look right on the 5thgen. If you want Honda wheels that look perfect with a 5thgen the RSX Type S rims look like they were made for the 5thgen.

Shiloh51933 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-19-2019, 07:27 PM   #12
ritzcracker
Getting Comfortable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiloh51933 View Post
Looks like your getting a lot done, good stuff. On the Si wheels I have to be honest...I'm not feeling them. There nice wheels but just don't look right on the 5thgen. If you want Honda wheels that look perfect with a 5thgen the RSX Type S rims look like they were made for the 5thgen.
I appreciate the honesty! Believe me, if I could find a set of type S rims with tires for the price I got these bad boys for, I would have went that route. I'm not saying I'm getting them forever, just need a set of tires to pass inspection mostly.

Speaking of which, just got the car back from the shop after alignment and inspection. Alignment went well but I can't say the same for the inspection. The main problem is exhaust leaks. I knew about it since there's very aged exhaust tape on the flex pipe. I'm honestly scared to take it off to see what's underneath. I'm debating now to buy a new downpipe or just try to get the flex pipe replaced. I'd have to pay get welding done but I'm sure the bolts are so rusted that even if I tried a bolt on option, I would have to get something cut.

Any advice on the best route for a leaking/destroyed flex pipe?

Other issues are:
-the climate control doesn't switch modes
-rear brakes don't apply evenly

Sponsored Links
Advertisement