new 1986 prelude - Honda Prelude Forum : Honda Prelude Forums
Home Forums Albums Garage iTrader Arcade
Register FAQ Insurance Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow Advertise

PreludePower.com is the premier Honda Prelude Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 03-25-2019, 07:40 PM   #1
honderp

honderp is on a distinguished road
new 1986 prelude

Hello everyone,
I recently purchased a 1986 prelude a18a with 130k and i am in love with this car. I have already gone through all the fluids and belts and starting on the electrical. Nothing works but the headlights and brake lights oddly enough... The gauges light up but the tach seems like it gets hung up if it even works. Probably just needs to be lubed. The radio switches on but i cant adjust any stations or changed anything but volume. Not such a big deal i will probably end up with an aftermarket eventually until then i have a portable radio. The moonroof is cracked and will need replacement glass. I've been calling junkyards but have had no luck for obvious reasons. The open and close buttons don't work probably due to relays or bad switches i haven't looked into it yet. The blower switch seems like its randomly being bumped and trying to turn the blower on randomly. I will probably disconnect this until i get the ac working. The last major and currently most important to me is the turn signal switch is broken in the column its stuck signaling right but all the lights work if i turn the flashers on (the hazard switch is also broken). If anyone has simple fixes or ideas to try to fix any of these issues any help is appreciated. If i cant find this i will mostly likely install aftermarket switches and do away with all the interior switches but if i can i would like to keep it stock. Thank you
Also i found someone to rebuild both carbs with isolators and accelerator pump. The car runs great but has a very slight stumble (<100 rpm) off throttle due to vacuum leak around the isolators

TL DR New car, my turn signal switch and moonroof are broke and need replaced.
honderp is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-29-2019, 04:59 PM   #2
honderp

honderp is on a distinguished road
Little bit of an update. I ordered new switches to mount in the cab for the signals headlights moonroof hazards horn and got a dual usb charger and an on/off switch for that too. Im going to rewire the interior and install the switches in the blank spots in the dash or the top triangles by the wheel where the current moonroof and hazard switches are. I also found my distributor leaking pretty bad since i started driving more and swapped the oring as well as cleaned up the electrodes and rotor. Car still runs great i haven't been to the carb shop yet i thought i found the correct isolators but i may have to figure out a way to make some. Any suggestions for isolators or a moonroof without breaking the bank is appreciated otherwise ill figure something out.
TLDR: Got switches need moonroof and isolators
honderp is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-06-2019, 04:49 AM   #3
ThunderSnow415

ThunderSnow415 is on a distinguished road
Good find. You will find that this car is a gem to work on and they all seem to have the same quirky things about them and have fairly consistent fail patterns. i have gone through quite a bit on my 2nd gen and have managed to get going from junkyard bound to a reliable daily driver with full functionality.
i can probably help with some of the more obscure issues. for example your open and close switches for the sunroof and your touchy fan switch.
the open/close buttons for the sun roof have contacts that get a small bit of gunk on them as the years pass. this gunk doesnt allow a connection to be made. if you take apart the dash to try to take the switch apart you will find that the switch is glued shut and theres no way to take it apart without breaking it. the solution that worked for me was to take silicone lubricant spray and spray it into the buttons. be liberal as you want it to get deep inside. then rapidly press the buttons repeatedly. this works the liquid deeper in the switch reaching the contacts. the spray cleans the tarnished contact as well as protects it from getting dirty again.

and for the touchy fan switch i found my issue to be a loose soldier joint inside the climate control unit itself. take it apart carefully and look for any cracked joints and resoldier them. i found a cracked solider joint where the fan slider itself was mounted to the circuit board. all i did was resoldier it and my fan slider worked perfectly. no more random clicking on and off.

if you have anymore questions let me know. i know resources are becoming more and more limited for these cars. as well as community support. so finding someone who is still actively responding to questions is extremely rare. however for engine related issues you can check out 3geez forums for the 3rd gen accords. both cars used the same engines and theres still alot of resources available on the accords.
ThunderSnow415 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2019, 04:53 AM   #4
ThunderSnow415

ThunderSnow415 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by honderp View Post
Little bit of an update. I ordered new switches to mount in the cab for the signals headlights moonroof hazards horn and got a dual usb charger and an on/off switch for that too. Im going to rewire the interior and install the switches in the blank spots in the dash or the top triangles by the wheel where the current moonroof and hazard switches are. I also found my distributor leaking pretty bad since i started driving more and swapped the oring as well as cleaned up the electrodes and rotor. Car still runs great i haven't been to the carb shop yet i thought i found the correct isolators but i may have to figure out a way to make some. Any suggestions for isolators or a moonroof without breaking the bank is appreciated otherwise ill figure something out.
TLDR: Got switches need moonroof and isolators
also depending on where you are located i might be able to help you with the moon roof. theres a good handful of junkyards in my area and every few months a few ludes will pop up. i could see about snagging a few parts for you if you like. ebay is also a really good place to shop around too. just make sure you arent overpaying. most have extremely high prices on sub-par parts.
ThunderSnow415 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement