Honda Prelude Forum banner

5th Gen Prelude Lower Ball Joint Guide

76K views 62 replies 29 participants last post by  Radludatic1007 
#1 · (Edited)
Hey guys, it took me months and a lot of time and money figuring all this out. I have four leftover ball joints due to this. I am posting this as a reference hoping that it'll help someone out. That said, don't blame me if this doesn't work out for you. THIS IS A GUIDE FOR LOWER BALL JOINTS ONLY.

First off, the base Prelude only has 4 lower ball joints as opposed to the 6 lower ball joints the SH model has (2 extra for the front radius rods).

--------
Some ball joint info:

Honda TSB 99-039: Honda TSB for front lower ball joints for Preludes. This TSB was released along with a ball joint "kit" that includes two ball joints along with two axle nuts and a few cotter pins. This "kit" is very COST EFFECTIVE.
Part number: 04510-SL5-000
The ball joints in this kit, I found has the exact same dimensions as the 51220-SL5-013 ball joints. Comparison pictures below.

ALL 5th Gen Preludes have the same basic rear suspension sans rear sway bar and maybe other tidbits. That said: the rear ball joints I found are the exact same dimensions as the front lower.
2001 Prelude Base right rear knuckle:
52111-S30-C00 Part #6
2001 Prelude SH right rear knuckle:
52111-S30-C00 Part #6

-------
Honda part numbers:

97-01 Prelude base
Front lower ball joint:
04510-SL5-000 (comes with 2) or 2x 51220-SL5-013

Rear lower ball joint: THE SAME AS THE FRONT
04510-SL5-000 or 2x 51220-SL5-013

---DISCLAIMER: Honda does not sell the rear ball joint separate from the rear knuckle. Whatever reason this is, I don't know. I found that the ball joint pressed in just as snugly as the front ones. That said, they also didn't carry the front lower ball joint separate from the knuckle, yet they released the TSB.---

97-01 Prelude SH
Front lower ball joint:
04510-SL5-000 (again, comes with 2) or 2x 51220-SL5-013

Radius Rod ball joint:
51220-S30-N21 Part #4 ---ONLY HONDA WILL CARRY THIS PART--- I found absolutely no aftermarket replacement.

Rear lower ball joint:
04510-SL5-000 or 2x 51220-SL5-013

---SAME DISCLAIMER AS THE BASE---

-------

To sum up if you want to replace all of your lower ball joints for your Prelude with OEM parts, order:

Base: 2x 04510-SL5-000 (2x will come with 4 ball joints)
SH: 2x 04510-SL5-000 and 2x 51220-S30-N21
Castlenut part number: 90307-SL5-000 (4x for base, 6x for SH)

-------
Picture comparison of 04510-SL5-000 & 51220-SL5-013. They are the same. Which is which? Exactly (actually, I don't remember).

Happy Luding.

See less See more
#39 ·
You have to search by part number for the lower joints alone. They are only available due to a service bulletin. Most don't even know they are available, including most parts departments.

Complete knuckle assemblies are available, as well as individual boots etc

#41 ·
I just tapped it with a rubber mallet from the backside on the studs - you don't have to remove the heat shield and all, but it does make it easier.

i mean the autozone adapter kit for honda. anyway, this clarification isn't worth this much trouble lol. the clamp works just fine. do you know what brand the honda kit you got is?

I'm going to look around for alternative kits, but this worked fine.

#50 ·
We have upper and lower balljoints in the front and rear of the vehicle. Uppers being on the upper control arm, and lowers being on the knuckle assembly.

#52 · (Edited by Moderator)
The car has upper and lower ball joints, front and rear for a total of eight. I got my uppers in the front for a decent price from Honda. Whole control arm with new bushings and ball joint for just under $100 per side. I think they were worth it.
To get the lower rear from Honda you have to buy the whole knuckle that, IIRC, was $350 per side.
Here's the rundown.
Front lowers: Can be bought from Honda, NAPA, Rockauto, etc...
Front uppers: Just buy the whole arm with new bushings from Honda, NAPA, Rockauto, etc...
Rear lowers: Put front lowers in from your part supplier of choice.
Rear uppers: Mine have no play at 248k so just keep a good boot full of grease on them and they seem like they might last forever.

#53 ·
I see this is an ever active thread.... Just wanted to let anyone looking through here that there is a recall across certain VINs on the lower ball joints.

I briefly browsed the thread, sorry if its already been mentioned... An admin should probably stickie it at the start of the thread

#55 ·
Ok so I know this is an old thread. And I do enjoy doi6my own research. I actually just asked the very question this thread answers. It's crazy it took me three days to find this thread...
So the correct balljoints for the rear lowers are the same as the front rearward balljoints on a type sh if I'm reading this correctly. Is this correct?

#56 ·
I just thought I'd let you know that the rear lower ball joints on the 5th gen are the same as the front. Honda wants you to buy a new knuckle with them pre-installed, NAPA and other sources do not list a 5th gen rear lower but you can just buy the fronts and they work just fine. They are identical. I bought them from Rockauto and they are AC Delco.
One has to remove the spindle from the knuckle (after removing the knuckle from the car) and getting them out can be a challenge. I work in a machine shop and whipped up some stuff to work in the press but, my mechanic friends say an air hammer for removal and press for the new ones in.
My car has hit 248k and they have finally wore out. I hope this helps anyone else looking to replace these. jiofi.local.html Login – Manage & Change your JioFi Wifi Password For PC - Download Best Apps & Softwares for PC

#57 ·
Thanks. I haven't updated my information yet but I finished my mechanical work I had to do to my 5th gen sh. It's a fucking blast to drive. It's faster and handles better than my friends sh. His has a similar setup as mine is. We both only have bolt ons. And I'm just now starting to have fun with it, I had to break in the new clutch. I'm going to wait till next summer to finish the rest of the work. I have some minor rust that I have to take care of and it's in desperate need of new paint. But I have to say I love my lude

#59 ·
Yea there's a slight difference in diameter all your balljoints will need pressed in. Theres a reason why they have different numbers on the front lower forward and front lower rearward balljoints. If your watching you tube like I was when I was rebuilding mine, you'll see someone is doing thier balljoints and one just literally slid into the hole while the other needed pressed in. Don't be fooled by that video it is not the correct balljoints used for the one that just slid in. Just be sure you read the descriptions if your ordering parts off the interwebs lol. And the upper balljoint is the same on all 4 corners. The rear lower balljoints are for sure the part numbers listed for rear lower balljoints in this thread. Good luck and when your done with the sh, you'll enjoy the car just as much as I do.

#61 ·
Driving with an adjustable balljoint and not immediately getting an alignment is really bad. Replacing a normal balljoint or any major suspension component and not getting an alignemnt... just asking for tire wear.

Yes, as mentioned they are 2 different sizes.

And maybe it's just the SH, but i know the last 3 base models i installed uppers on - front vs rear were different diameter.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.