Honda Prelude Forum banner

Black Majik Steering-H22 Swap....long story!

3rd Gen_ 
22K views 112 replies 33 participants last post by  LudeAEM 
#1 · (Edited)
UPDATE 3/1/13: Its been a long time coming for this car, but as of March 1, 2013, The car is running, titled and plated. Many more updates to come!!!

More pics on Page 3 and 4

Please chime in with remarks and suggestions.

I thought about giving up on this car many times, but im not going to. I want to finish this thing and have a dream car. There is much more work to be done, but im going to do it.

Now that im going to be on sequestration for one day a week, Im going to dedicate those days to working on this car.

So, to make a long story short, i bought an 88 4ws lude back in august of 07 with either the intention of turbo'ing it or going H22 route. Well, i chose the later due to the fact i found the perfect doner car-an H22 swapped 92 lude. here are the pics of the doner car:

after acquiring this car, i found out from a friend that it once belonged to a member of the local honda club. So, when he found out that i had the car, he wanted it back. Well, i told him-it will be without the motor" So, with the help of a good friend who has done alot of motor swaps, we made a deal-i get the H22, he gets the car as a roller and my buddy will do the swap for me (i just finished a masters degree and didnt have time to work on it myself). Deal was set!

So, during the process of the swap, alot of issues came up with the car and the friend doing the swap having major health issues (which i will talk about in a minute). He got about 80% of the job done, but then found out he has to have open heart surgery. I just moved out to New Mexico and i had the intention of flying back to St Louis and driving the car back once it was done, but no dice. So, with that said, i told my buddy i would have the car hauled out here. So, here is how it sits today in my garage and how it came in on the hauler:

Im just really glad she is back and im really wanting to get her running. i have a bunch of friends here that are going to help me with finishing it. here is a list of what still needs to be done

Alt belt-since i deleted the AC, this will have to be changed (shorter belt)

PS Belt-its going to be a tight fit in there but if i use an H23 belt, i think it will work.

PS hoses-again, i have to do some tinkering with them to see where they are going to go.

TPS and VSS sensors-on the harness they are disconnected so i need to figure out some things with those

Dizzy-the motor has an external coil but the harness was made for an internal coil. Looks like i have to get an internal coil

ECU and jumper harness-need to install

Fuel line-looks like i need to modify it a bit

Shifter cables-the bracket on the tranny doesnt work right with the cables-any suggestions?

Radiator hoses-i remember Team123 said that the upper hose works, but it doesnt seem to line up right. I will need to make a custom hose for the lower.

Anything else you guys see from the pics?

See less See more
#8 ·
man if only you where closer i would come out to help you get this knocked out and you wouldn't have to miss the cupcake meet! working on getting a couple ludes up and running before the meet! friends 98 lude (shattered ringlands) i got the motor reassembled but waiting for act clutch to come in. a friends 99 lude auto (4th slips to no where) but manual swap parts wont come in on time. another guy has a 4th gen with a h22 swap with wiring issues!
im just crossing my fingers that nothing major goes wrong with mine :/

#10 ·
I love how they look in our bays, it looks like its at home.

#11 ·
hey man, click on my cardomain link and you can see a few things that I had done, that may or may not help you out.

The fuel line, i just bent it slightly and it worked fine.

you'll have to lower the coil, if you keep the external one, because it'll rub a little on the hood.

as for the shifter cables...which are u using? You have to use the right combo:
5th gen cables and shifter -or- 4th gen cables and shifter -or- accord shifter and cables...You can not use the 3rd gen's shifter and cables...Hope that helps

#12 ·
I am using the 4g prelude cables and a CB Accord shifter. I know its an odd combo, but from what Team123 says, it can work. However, the shifter cables are not secure since there is no bracket.

Also, since this is an 88, the electronic VSS is removed so i need a bracket to keep the cable in the transmission (1funryd got any yet?)

#14 ·
So, i have a few questions about the rest of this process-alot of the write-ups do not have this information:

Alt belt-since i deleted the AC, what is the part number for the shorter belt that i need to use?

PS Belt-its going to be a tight fit in there but if i use an H23 belt, i think it will work-does anybody know the part number for the H23 belt? is anybody using something else?

PS hoses-again, i have to do some tinkering with them to see where they are going to go-anybody have a remedy for this? custom bracket?

Dizzy-what are you guys running? I have an external coil on the motor, but the harness is made for an internal. However, i have been told i can change this and run an MSD-type. true?

Fuel line-looks like i need to modify it a bit-what is everybody doing for this? just bending the B20 one?

Shifter cables-the bracket on the tranny doesnt work right with the cables-any suggestions? What is the work-around for this? I tried the H22 and H23 backets and they dont seem to work. Is this because im using an Accord shifter with 4g lude cables?

Radiator hoses-what are you guys using for the upper? I hear that the 5gen lower house works perfect?

I need some pointers :)

#15 ·
I will did through my stuff this week end, but the best way to get your belt size is too take a think string or twine, and use it as a template to wrap around the crank pulley and around the powersteering pulley and tie it off, make sure that you give the string some slack to compensate for the tension when the time comes to tighten the belt down.

Do this for both and take that string to your nearest belt shop and they can match it for you, just let them know how many rib belt you are going to use.

Thats all there is to that. I do have the belt stock numbers but there in my closet kinda of buried, so it will have to wait to the weekend.

As for shiftlinkage, you need to use the same linkage with the same shifter, they differ slightly and can cause the issues you are coming across.

As for the fuel line from the fuel filter, you need to bend it a littel to get it to fit right.

I used my OEM upper Radiator hose and just cut it to fit, but I used the H23 lower radiator hose and it fits perfect.

The rest I will leave for the experts on the Distributor and internal coil stuff.

#16 ·
I dont have the origonal clip for the VSS, unless its in the parts box that the guy gave me when he did the swap. The cable is just put into the H22 tranny with no clip.

I will work on the belt issue this weekend-i think somebody said an H23 belt would work for the PS?

I will need to get that ALT belt definately measured, unless somebody else knows the dimensions?

Well, looks like i will have to hunt for a 4g prelude shifter then.....ugh!

I tried to cut the OEM hose to work, but no dice-did i do something wrong? I hear any H22 lower hose works for the swap.

#17 ·
No real update on the car-its been sitting for over a month now. Money has been tight so its been put off till tax return/first time home buyer check comes back.

So from the looks of it, i will need to get a 4g prelude shifter, since i have the cables from one.

So, the old stock cable VSS bracket works for the H22? Right now, the cable is just kind of stuck down in the tranny.

I have to bolt up the Alt and PS pump then measure the belt length for the alt. What are you guys running for the PS belt? 4g h22 or h23? I hear that the h23 belt is a bit more skinny?

So, all i need to do is bend the fuel line a bit? it looks like it would crimp to me, but i will give it a shot.

also, what are you guys using for your shifter cable brackets? stock? the guy that was working on the car said the stock one didnt work-maybe thats because of the accord shifter?

#19 ·
Thread alive

I have been working here and there on the car-still need alot to go. here is a list of parts i need as well as issues still with the swap:

Dizzy-motor has an external however Rywire made the harness for an internal. any ideas to remedy this issue without having to buy an internal dizzy?

power steering belt-what are you guys running with your swaps? stock? i look like im going to rub the inside of the engine bay if i use a stock 5 rib. Maybe i can get a custom 4 rip?

alt belt-need custom since AC is removed.

Relocate battery to the trunk-any writeups on this? also need some wire and a battery box for the trunk

spark plug wires-any recomendations?

4gen prelude shifter-the guy that installed the shifter put an accord shifter with 4g prelude cables. So, now i need a prelude shifter.

shifter cable bracket for H22

relocate power steering reservoir-i think im going to delete the window washer reservoir to make room for this.

VSS issue, since i have an 88 with cable spedo-1funryd i think is working on a custom bracket for us 88-89 users

fuel line-it looks like the stock B20 will not work? The bend at the fuel rail end of the line isnt enough for it to fit. What are you guys using?

Thats about it. I installed a new VC gasket, TPS sensor and Blox cam seal today.

Please leave feedback and problem solving

#21 ·
THREAD ALIVE!!!!!

Ok, my time has FINALLY come to finish this car up. I am not going to give up on this project. It means too much to me.

I have purchased a ton of parts to complete the swap and clean up the motor. these include:

-new cam seal (Blox)
-4g prelude shifter (i found a Forbidden short shifter...WINNING!!!!)
-h22 shifter cable bracket
-alt belt (dayco)
-power steering reservoir (03 TL)
-new DIzzy (however they sent me an external coil one but the place has the TD60 i need)
-TPS
-fuel line (if the 5g doesnt work i may just bend the stock one to fit)
-fuel filter

Things still needed:

VSS issue-i just have the cable into the tranny with no bracket.
PS belt (need to order)
VTEC issue (may just get a chipped p13/28 or a VAFC
Battery relocate (just need to run the wire)
Exhaust-(probably going to replace the headers too)

I will keep you all updated with the progress. I cant wait!!!!!!

#22 ·
THREAD F'ing ALIVE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yea, i know its been too long for this thread and probably alot of people dont know me from the site anymore.

However, I have epic news!

My good buddy from St Louis is down here for the week-bought my EF LS swapped 4door and has been helping me finish my prelude. We have power, spark, fuel, and everything was going good......till we took the dizzy off.......the 2 prongs that go into the cam were completely sheered off! WTF-terrible casting on that thing.

Anybody know where i can get a GOOD OEM-spec dizzy? not this cheap China shit?

#23 ·
Did some more work to the car today-got the heater hoses hooked up and tightened.

4th gen Forbidden shifter is on and works! sweet!

Also mocked up the power steering belt and it does not rub!!! BONUS! I really thought it would rub the frame.

Also started messing with the PS reservoir and how it would work with it re-positioned. I have a TL reservoir so im going to have to look up the write-up on that.

Good progress today overall.

I am ordering the new dizzy on friday.

#24 ·
Dizzy ordered-plus purchased a used one as a "back up"

Been trying to figure out how to route the power steering hoses from the pump to the reservoir. Need to measure and make some hoses for this.

ANybody have some ideas on that?

#25 ·
THREAD ALIVE!!!!

MY CAR RUNS!!!!! i took a video and will be posted soon.

It runs a bit rough, since it has old gas in the tank however, it idle's at about 700 rpm-perfect!

Need a few things to tiddy it up a bit (intake, new VC, exhaust, VFAC) but im just happy that it is running! awesome!

video coming here shortly

#27 ·
Im just really happy that the motor runs now. I really want to drive it around my neighborhood, but its loud as fuck!!!! dont want to piss of my neighbors. Plus, the car is not titled yet in this state (still has IL title).

Now that its running, time to finish up the following:

*Power Steering reservoir re-locate and hose connections-once the fluid is all filled, i will put the belt on and see how well it works.

*VFAC-since i have an 88, in order for me to have VTEC, i need one of these.

*Exhaust-I have a Vibrant blackout muffler and a test pipe. now i need somebody to make me a decent looking 2 1/2 inch exhaust from header back.

*Speedo cable connection to tranny-I dont have the B20 or H22 VSS to make this work-can somebody create one for me? 1Funryd?

#28 ·
I spent some time mocking up my short ram intake for the car. However, it started to storm like fuck outside, so i didnt bother continuing.

I decided since i wasnt doing any work, to fire up the car again. One thing that bothers me about it is the fact that my Rywire harness did not come with a Oil pressure sensor plug, so im throwing an oil light as well as a CEL (CEL probably from lack of O2 Sensor along with some other things).

Did all of your guys harness' come with the plug for the oil pressure sensor? Since i dont have this, will i EVER have VTEC? I think maybe a VAFC would solve the problem?

#29 · (Edited)
I spent some time mocking up my short ram intake for the car. However, it started to storm like fuck outside, so i didnt bother continuing.

I decided since i wasnt doing any work, to fire up the car again. One thing that bothers me about it is the fact that my Rywire harness did not come with a Oil pressure sensor plug, so im throwing an oil light as well as a CEL (CEL probably from lack of O2 Sensor along with some other things).

Did all of your guys harness' come with the plug for the oil pressure sensor? Since i dont have this, will i EVER have VTEC? I think maybe a VAFC would solve the problem?

Here is information from MustardCat:

As to the bungs: Stock O2, my wideband, and extra bung for tuners wideband. (I figure they would want to use their own)

No pictures today because it was mostly wiring. Started the car and drove up and down the block real quick, problems encountered:

Rywire harness not 100%:

The main relay uses ground 101, the one at the t-stat housing. The rywire harness has this location, but the relay doesn't ground to it anymore. So with no ground, the main relay doesn't work, no fuel pump and no power to the ECU. I did a quick test jumper today and tomorrow I will need to add a permanent new ground for the relay.

Need to run 1 wire from the alt. connector to near the fuse box, this is the charging warning light and rywire didn't supply it. (or even mention that it needed to be added.)

Other issues:

The left-to-right movement shifter cable is bad so I need to swap in my spare. This actually isn't the horror you would imagine because there is a lot more room to work at the lower firewall with the H compared to the B.

And the big one, cylinder #1 not getting any fuel! Need to run through the troubleshoot procedure for this.
Now he has the Milspec harness, do you? or do you have the old conversion harness? Here is his build thread, you might want to pm him if you have the same harness: http://www.preludepower.com/forums/showthread.php?t=351127

#30 ·
I have the old splice and dice version of the Rywire harness.

I deleted my antenna today-put in a nice honda rubber cap.

I started the car once again just to hear it run.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.