Honda Prelude Forum banner

Cluster light problems

2K views 9 replies 4 participants last post by  Ns90sr 
#1 · (Edited)
I am having an issue with the lights behind my speedometer, tach and fuel/temp gauges, they aren’t working at the moment, i also noticed the light inside the ashtray isn’t working as well. The signal lights, parking brake light, and all other lights on the cluster are working just the gauges and the ashtray light are not functioning the taillights come on when braking but not when the lights are turned on like they should. Headlights still function as they should. Any help with this would be great. The car is a 1990 SR. Thanks

#2 ·
There might be a fuse out. I would check them. Otherwise I would say you need to remove the console and maybe the lower dash panel and remove and sand the ground for the dash on the ring and the chassis it is screwed to. Did you recently have the dash apart or install a radio or anything like that? Did this just happen or has it always been that way?

Did you check the knob for illumination on lower right of the driver's side dash? Or it's connections?

#3 ·
i never changed anything or had it apart, it just stopped, never had an issue before with it. But like i said tail lights aren’t functioning as they should, they only come on when braking it seems. Radio lights aren’t working as well. I have the stock radio in the car. But thanks for the suggestions i will check out my fuses and grounds in the morning just wanted to know if this may be a common problem and if anyone knew exactly what it could be. Only thing i have done recently is changed a brake light bulb.

#4 ·
is your clock working?

#6 ·
You didn't say if you had checked the brightness knob. If you don't have taillights I would check the front for running lights. Your headlight switch may have given up the ghost.

#8 ·
Check fuse #4 in the under-dash fusebox. The dash lights and tail lights are on the same circuit, so if it's not a fuse you could have a problem anywhere between the tail lights and the dash. It's common for these two systems to share a circuit. I had a similar problem on a 74 chevelle when I was in high school. It turned out to be some metal brake lines I was carrying in the trunk that were making contact with the exposed bulbs and shorting out the tail lights.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.