Honda Prelude Forum banner

Brand New Honda Prelude H22A Type-S Engine

5K views 22 replies 7 participants last post by  HondaPrelude1999 
#1 ·
Hello,

Does anyone know if it is possible to buy a brand new Honda Prelude H22A Type-S engine or are only used engines available? I am rebuilding my 1999 Honda Prelude Type SH and am debating swapping out the engine for the Type S engine. I would prefer a brand new Type-S engine or one with extremely low miles (less thank 20,000 miles if possible). I just have not seen any recent posts on the topic.

Thank you for your help! I greatly appreciate your time and assistance!

#2 ·
Hmm, i also wonder if theres such a rare market for engines that were produced about 20 years ago. Keep in mind these motors were also limited in the model car they came in. Go to hmotorsonline.com have not bought myself since motor came with my car but i herd good things from them. See a nice type s engine there.

#9 ·
Thank you for the great info! I checked hmotorsonline and they have some solid options.

What would be the benefit of the Type-S over the Euro R engines? It seems from my limited understanding that both have the same horsepower output/torque; am I missing something?

Also, are all the engines on JDM website and HMotorsOnline rebuilt engines? Or are they engines that have been removed from totaled vehicles? I would prefer an engine that has not been rebuilt if possible.

#3 ·
You're going to need to talk personally to a specialty JDM importer who has connections to their actual dealer network and can find or look up part numbers. You gotta understand that the price of a longblock Type-S engine with zero miles strait from Japan--if you could source such a thing--is going to be a minimum of $6-8k considering what they cost new, imports, finders fees.

I would not be at all surprised if you were hit with a $10k bill(if they sourced the engine from a collector).

Just buy used. :smile2:

#4 ·
You might consider buying an H22A Euro R engine swap. It takes some work and is not a straight drop in, but it's a great engine.

Has the Type-S cams, the better I take manifold, although would benefit from some Rosko Racing style modifications, and has the T2W4 transmission with a mechanical Limited Slip Differential and better gear ratios.

#6 ·
Snark42

Probably similar amount of work when compared to a JDM swap. There are a few ways of running the Euro-R engine.

The way I'm currently running mine is:
-USDM ECU/Harness
-USDM Distributor
-USDM Oil Pump (for TDC sensor mount holes)
-USDM oil pressure sensor
-USDM Intake manifold/fuel rail/injectors/etc. (I'm currently modifying my Euro-R intake and will use it soon)

It has 11:1 compression as well.

#10 ·
Type S was just the model of the car that came out in Japan, having the (Type S motor) adopted. Euro R was the redtop and came out in the right hand drive bb6 in Europe. Both are fantastic motors. Euro-R has slight differences in the cams,valvetrain,piston and rods. I believe euro r has Type S Pistons but don't quote me on that just yet. The single stage has better top end flow, the Euro-R/Type-R tranny has a shorter 2nd and 3rd gear likely to counter this and get into the high rpm range sooner. Euro also has different brackets on mounts i think and are made to save some weight. As far as the motors in Hmotorsonline i cant say for certain but they always do compression testing on there motors before sale, i don't think I've seen a built motor on there and thats def a good sign.

#11 ·
Type S was just the model of the car that came out in Japan, having the (Type S motor) adopted. Euro R was the redtop and came out in the right hand drive bb6 in Europe.

Correction: Euro R engines were from Honda Accord Euro R models in Europe. A Euro R H22 was never offered in a BBX chassis. In Europe if you wanted an "R" spec Prelude, you would have simply gotten a Type-S which were available essentially everywhere but the U.S.(and maybe Australia/NZ; don't quote me on that)

Just fun facts.

#14 · (Edited)
I actually have a sub 10k miles 100% rebuilt f20b (top to bottom rebuild)
258hp 192ft/lbs n/a
86mm bore
88mm stroke
Cometic MLS headgasket
Areis Forged Pistons @ 11.5:1
Shot pinged\magnifluxed Rods
BLOX 92lb dual springs
BLOX titanium retainers
HKS cam gears on
SKUNK2 stage 2 camshafts (vtec @ 5600)
Rotating assembly Balanced +\- 2 grams
Ported Intake manifold with butterfly delete
All ARP bolts and studs
Manual tensioner.
+1mm ferria high compressioon valves
5 angle full race valve job
Obd2 from the factory but i have the obd1 harness for ems purposes

(the f20b is an Iron ductile sleeved and destroked version of the 98+ h22a4 it was found in the honda accord SiR-T and on The Torreno.. It was literally build by honda to race.)

Built her for boost but never got to it.. Some kid rear ended my parked car.. Shes a beauty.. Purrs like a kitten.. Built right.. And DD all day.. Pm me we can talk price

And yes you can buy a brand new motor from honda expect to pay 8-10k

#22 ·
Definitely! I'm still in the collecting phase. But the engine should be here soon and then I'll make the modifications to the intake manifold and buy the remainder of the parts. I've been able to locate most parts, but I'm still searching for a full Mugen Twinloop exhaust. If I can't find one then I will debate the Apexi WS2 vs. Mugen Twinloop muffler from another Honda (most likely Civic) with K-teller 2.5 inch piping vs. Vibrant exhaust components with K-teller piping.

But if at all possible the full Mugen Twinloop exhaust would be my ideal pick in a perfect world, haha.
What comes with the Mugen Twinloop exhaust? Are we talking catback or from headers all the way back?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.