Honda Prelude Forum : Honda Prelude Forums

Honda Prelude Forum : Honda Prelude Forums (https://www.preludepower.com/forums/index.php)
-   5th Gen (https://www.preludepower.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=195)
-   -   ..::: 5th Gen Newbie - Q&A Thread :::.. (New Members, PLEASE CLICK HERE) (https://www.preludepower.com/forums/showthread.php?t=255369)

98vtec 01-16-2007 01:39 AM

..::: 5th Gen Newbie - Q&A Thread :::.. (New Members, PLEASE CLICK HERE)
 
are you a newbie?
Too lazy to search?
Do you have a question?
Has it likely been asked before?

well you are in luck. This thread is just for YOU. Here you can post your basic questions that have been asked and answered more times than i can count and not get flamed :omg:!!!!!


Please DO NOT carry on conversation in this thread and either ANSWER A QUESTION OR DO NOT POST.

I'm hoping this thread will stop some of the useless threads and unneeded flaming.

When we get a question that gets posted alot, I will update this first post with common questions and answers to them.

99prelude2akill 01-17-2007 08:30 AM

i am a newby with a 99 prelude i bought off a guy....the car was said to be in good condition and so i bought it.....well as soon as i bought it the radiator busted and the v-tech was destroyed so now i am in a mechanics class and i am the one that is stuck doing the dirty work on this car....after a few months went by i saw the guy who sold it to me and i looked at him in his face and lafed...when i told him how good the car was now that i got it

Cruiserdude 01-17-2007 01:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 99prelude2akill (Post 1148422)
i am a newby with a 99 prelude i bought off a guy....the car was said to be in good condition and so i bought it.....well as soon as i bought it the radiator busted and the v-tech was destroyed so now i am in a mechanics class and i am the one that is stuck doing the dirty work on this car....after a few months went by i saw the guy who sold it to me and i looked at him in his face and lafed...when i told him how good the car was now that i got it

So what's your question? I would have tried to make him take the car back, or at least pay you for all the maintenance, since he told you the car was in good shape w/ no major problems.

itsdchlorine 01-17-2007 02:00 PM

i have a noob question....

Bout how many miles does it usually take for ludes to burn 1qt of oil?

(in general or on average, cuz i know it all depends on how you drive)

hot_97_lude 01-17-2007 02:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by itsdchlorine (Post 1148684)
i have a noob question....

Bout how many miles does it usually take for ludes to burn 1qt of oil?

(in general or on average, cuz i know it all depends on how you drive)

My lude burns 1qt of conventional oil in about 3000 miles. I'd say that is about average for a prelude with 125k. I wouldn't worry unless it burns 1 quart every 500 miles or something. BTW, I drive like a normal luder, aka some vtec. :smilejap:

Cruiserdude 01-17-2007 02:10 PM

Honestly, it all depends on the car. Some people hardly burn any, others burn a qt. about every 1000 miles or so. Just make sure you keep checking it and topping it off, and DON'T think you can wait longer to change it just b/c you top it off w/ fresh oil. If you're worried b/c you think you're burning too much, you can always do a compression and leakdown test for piece of mind.

2qu1k4u 01-17-2007 02:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by itsdchlorine (Post 1148684)
i have a noob question....

Bout how many miles does it usually take for ludes to burn 1qt of oil?

(in general or on average, cuz i know it all depends on how you drive)

my car burns less than a quart after 3500 miles. that's pretty average.

itsdchlorine 01-17-2007 10:38 PM

swt.. thanks for the replies... ^^

Chief_Rocka 01-17-2007 10:39 PM

Yeah my car barely burns oil and I run my car hard pretty much every weekend.

Hobodo5 01-19-2007 10:42 PM

how many quarts to fill a 5th gen?

98vtec 01-19-2007 10:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hobodo5 (Post 1151382)
how many quarts to fill a 5th gen?

buy 6 quarts. you'll fill it up with 5 + a little of the 6th one. use the rest to keep it full :p

routine9t 01-20-2007 06:41 PM

2.2L.., need help to know more abt modding engine for more whp like 300-400whp??? possible???.... some mustang really pissed me off last night... aarrargghhh...

98vtec 01-20-2007 07:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by routine9t (Post 1151989)
2.2L.., need help to know more abt modding engine for more whp like 300-400whp??? possible???.... some mustang really pissed me off last night... aarrargghhh...

honestly, if thats the only reason you want more power then i would just sell your car and buy one that is faster from the get go. doing 300-400whp the right way will cost a good bit of money and spending that money because you got beat by a mustang is a little rediculous but i understand your concerns :tongue:

You would definitely have to boost the motor. If you didnt plan on running more than 400whp, i would go the cheaper way to use forged pistons in your block and run iron pressed-in liners. Much cheaper than heavy duty iron ductile sleeves.

building a motor for a purpose is one thing, but building the motor because you lost a meaningless street race can put you in a big money pit if you dont know what your doing.

streetdemon06 01-20-2007 07:31 PM

do we have an iron block?

98vtec 01-20-2007 07:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by streetdemon06 (Post 1152047)
do we have an iron block?

aluminum block with FRM (fiber reinforced metal) cylinder walls - forged pistons cannot be used unless it has a special coating on the piston skirts
ie: Mahle and JUN have H22 FRM design forged pistons

all H series blocks have FRM cylinder walls. Including the F20c and nsx motor.

f22 and f23 blocks are aluminum with iron sleeves which are able to accept a forged piston without modification to the block or pistons.

power prelude 01-20-2007 11:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2.2L (Post 1151384)
buy 6 quarts. you'll fill it up with 5 + a little of the 6th one. use the rest to keep it full :p

isn't it 5 quarts and the 5th one to fill up the .2 liters???
cuz wouldn't 5 quarts be 2.5???

Cruiserdude 01-21-2007 12:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by power prelude (Post 1152298)
isn't it 5 quarts and the 5th one to fill up the .2 liters???
cuz wouldn't 5 quarts be 2.5???

Sorry, I don't really understand what you're saying?

But if I were a n00b, I'd definitely listen to Blake.:Rock:

mywhiteprelude 01-22-2007 01:29 AM

alright noob question. lets say i was driving at like 40 in like 4th gear..and a turn is coming up..i turn but i dont downshift..so by the end of my turn im like at 15-20mph and my rpm is at like 1500-2000 (in 4th gear still). my questions are:

1. what would happen (not that i've tried it) if you floored it? other than it won't go very quickly...will it blow anything up? or will it harm or put stress on anything?

2. if my scenerio happens, and i VERY SLOWLY accelerate without downshifting to 3rd but kept it in 4th to go...does it harm the clutch or syncros or engine?

thanks for the answers and bare with me with these noob questions.

itsdchlorine 01-22-2007 02:29 AM

o... i just heard that our engines needed exactly 5 qts... and the 6th is just to top off the engine from burning off oil...

qualude2250 01-22-2007 02:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by power prelude (Post 1152298)
isn't it 5 quarts and the 5th one to fill up the .2 liters???
cuz wouldn't 5 quarts be 2.5???

If you asking what I think your asking, NO. A 5th gen holds 5.1 quarts of oil.
2.2L is the displacement. Is that what you meant?

Cruiserdude 01-22-2007 09:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mywhiteprelude (Post 1153502)
alright noob question. lets say i was driving at like 40 in like 4th gear..and a turn is coming up..i turn but i dont downshift..so by the end of my turn im like at 15-20mph and my rpm is at like 1500-2000 (in 4th gear still). my questions are:

1. what would happen (not that i've tried it) if you floored it? other than it won't go very quickly...will it blow anything up? or will it harm or put stress on anything?

2. if my scenerio happens, and i VERY SLOWLY accelerate without downshifting to 3rd but kept it in 4th to go...does it harm the clutch or syncros or engine?

thanks for the answers and bare with me with these noob questions.

It won't hurt anything to do that, it'll just lug the engine. It's no better to accelerate slowly from low-rpm's really, but its just a bad idea in either case. It hurts your gas mileage and creates extra oil sludge. You're not gonna blow up your engine or anything if you do it, but I wouldn't make a habit of it. It's not the proper way to drive a stick. When you know revs are going to drop, or you want more acceleration, you need to downshift a gear or two.

RedLude98 01-22-2007 11:21 AM

I'm a noob to computer stuff and don't really know where else to post this question.

Why won't my computer play certain video's, it just comes up with a Q with a question mark in it and does'nt do anything. Like Google video for instance, it won't play anything off google just show's a blue letter Q with a question mark on it.

itsdchlorine 01-22-2007 01:10 PM

ummm... for that im thinking you may need to update ur codec package... so u can play new formats... this is the site i use... http://www.free-codecs.com/download/...Codec_Pack.htm it may help... i dotn know... thats what i got from your question...

itsdchlorine 01-22-2007 01:14 PM

i need help...
i dotn know what:
1. a test pipe is....
2. a down pipe...
3. an axle back...

thanks for the help...

98vtec 01-22-2007 01:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by itsdchlorine (Post 1153845)
i need help...
i dotn know what:
1. a test pipe is....
2. a down pipe...
3. an axle back...

thanks for the help...

1) a straight pipe that replaces the catalytic converter
2) the exhaust pipe that comes off the hotside of a turbo
3) the rear portion of an exhaust


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 10:47 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
vB.Sponsors
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright 2002 - 2011, Preludepower.com