Honda Prelude Forum banner

HDM H22 motor

5K views 14 replies 9 participants last post by  dunjakellor 
#1 ·
Looking at an HDM H22, OBD1 motor...
Says it only has 187HP..
Just got my 1993 Prelude, not wanting to make any mistakes when purchasing a motor to replace the H23.
I thought the H22 had 200HP...
Also, will I need to purchase an entirely different harness?
I believe I will, but again, not wanting to make mistakes..
If I don't have to get it, I don't want to waste money getting something I don't need.
Educate me, please..

#2 ·
The H22A1 engines make 187bhp (Which is the engine you're looking at). The H22A4 engines make 197bhp.

#4 ·
Aha! :)

OK, learned something already..
Well, still better than the H23 from everything I've read...
Of course, with the stock motor having 207k miles on it (although still running very strong), replacing it with the H22A1 would be a remarkable improvement I'll wager..

#12 ·
are you sure the OBD-1 JDM engine is only 187 bhp?

cus Mine is pretty much stock with MSD ignition and short ram with a tune. and it has 180whp (~210-215 bhp) dont think those 2 mods really adds 20 horse... i thought they were all 197bhp except the type-S

#13 ·
The odler generatiosn of h22 make significantly less paower than teh new ones. The pre 1997 engien are rated much less than the post. I beleive the 97 up ar 195 hp and the 96 and under are only 180 or 185. The better engines to use are the 98 and up ones as they haev the thicker mains, the open deck for better cooling.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.